Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM

Default shore fishing ponds

any of these ponds like muir or chickakoo good for shore fishing. My dad and I drove to edmonton for the weekend and i was hoping to catch a few rainbows or hopefully a brookie. any news on winter kill? if these ponds are shore fishing what flies?

Thanks, Donny
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 AM

Muir and Chickakoo can both be fished from shore. Muir can be busy around the parking area so it may take some exploring to find a spot for the both of you.
It does not look like they stocked brook trout in Chickakoo (yet?).the last stocking report I looked at only had rainbows on it but had about 4000 fish less then last year. I suspect they are going to dump some more in later this year.
Other ponds in the area with more room to fish would be Morinville reservoir (Heritage Lake),Cardiff (both of these just north of St. Albert),East Pit by Wabamun),Hermitage park in East Edmonton,and from the pictures and the reports on here the pond in Fort Saskatchewan has plenty of space.

As for flies to use , you can not go wrong with Wooly Buggers.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Fly to try: green 52 buick, doc spratley, mosquito, black back swimmer, royal coachman. These will typically work in most central alberta lakes.

Cardiff has lots of space. The water is up about 8 inches. The odd bigger trout.

Another overlooked place is Leduc Reservoir right beside hiway 2 and hiway 39. Usually, you almost have the whole lake to yourself. Lots of room to cast. Paved sidewalk around the whole reservoir. Stocked with rainbows.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 05-25-2013 at 04:54 PM.