Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Medicine Hat To Sandy Point

I'm looking to do a weekend trip down the river from Medicine Hat to Sandy Point. Has anyone done this? I'm just looking for a timeline and some tips. Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

trip in what? in a jetboat its no sweat. just drifting a tinny is 4 days minimum, can be as much as 6, and in a canoe you can make it in 3 days if you are paddling hard. there is a stretch of rapids near whiterock coulee that can get a little hairy too, depending on time of year.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM

A couple of 16' Lunds with 20hp motors. We would drive a bit then coast and fish then camp at night and repeat. I've been told around 3-4 days depending on the time of year. I assume the rapids are worse in the spring rather then summer?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Must have been low water a few years ago for my son and I camped at Sandy end of September while hunting and put square stern in a few times with electric motor and it was all we could do to fish a bit as constantly pulling electric motor to clear sand bars in shallow water.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulful View Post
A couple of 16' Lunds with 20hp motors. We would drive a bit then coast and fish then camp at night and repeat. I've been told around 3-4 days depending on the time of year. I assume the rapids are worse in the spring rather then summer?
That won't work, even with high water because if it's high you can't see anything due to dirty water. The only motorized boat you'll cover any ground with is a jet. There are a lot of shallow areas and the river is constantly shifting so nothings marked. In a 16' aluminum you can end up in a place where it's going to take a lot of heaving to get it free. If your determined the best time would be when the water clears after the high waters of June, it will go down through the summer and into the fall after that. In the fall you could end up in some really bad spots with a heavy boat like that.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

well....it can be done....but it may cost you a prop or two depending how careful you are. best have some waders or be prepared to get wet as you may end up grounded. if you are planning on stopping to fish, you will want to have more than just a weekend. thats a longer trip than what it first appears.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM

What are the rules regarding travel through Suffield?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Yeah it's probably better to assume it's going to take us 4-5 days. Thanks Guys
Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
What are the rules regarding travel through Suffield?
hmm.. I'm not sure I never thought of that.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM

403 544 4000 Ask for range control, they'll be able to tell you. Office is manned 24/7.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM

If you want to stop and fish, yup, most likely 4 days. It's a longer trip than you would think. If you look at a map, the river twists a lot out of the hat. It's a 35 minute drive to Bow Island and from there to the Hat the river is fairly straight. That's 2 days moderately steady paddling. From the Hat to Sandy Point it's 1 hr. driving time and the river really winds.

As far as the boats, I'd think twice. The problem being, there are enormous boulders in the river that are far enough under the surface that you don't see until you are right on top of them. Sometimes you can spot them ahead of time if they are leaving a bit of a wake but some are far enough under that they don't. And then BANG. Leave alone all the shallow spots.

As far as the military range. I think, but I'm not 100% sure that the river borders it but doesn't go through it. I would find out for sure. Just stay off the territory on the west side and limit yourself to the high water mark. But like i said, better find out for sure. Man, I could tell you a story about that what happened to us many years ago when we got stranded on the river and ended up where we shouldn't have been in the military range. The officials out there were very unhappy and angry and threatened to charge us for trespassing and what ever else. That's another story.

Canoe or jet boat or even a drift boat would be the way to go.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Hey all!
I'm looking to do this trip (Medicine Hat to Sandy Point) with an inflatable raft, paddles and a very small battery powered motor. The motor is basically only for use as needed to nav onto shore more precisely, etc.

Is that possible this time of year? How many days? 5?

Are there any put-in point closer to Sandy Point?
I'm trying to document rattlesnakes swimming.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Hey all!
I'm looking to do this trip (Medicine Hat to Sandy Point) with an inflatable raft, paddles and a very small battery powered motor. The motor is basically only for use as needed to nav onto shore more precisely, etc.

River is quite low right now, I would think you would need some work and a bit of luck to do it in 5 days, I would plan for 6. Plan on doing some pushing through shallows, not much for maneuverability with a raft. Canoe would be a better plan, then you would be able to maneuver a bit and cut your time down. Just be aware there are very few ranches on the river, once you pass Ellisses at the start of the british block, you are miles from any ranch houses. It is very hot down here if you are planning for now, bring lots of water, lots and lots. If you want to cut your time down Mr. Ellis is pretty good about letting you launch from his place. Bow Island to Medicine Hat would be about three days in a raft and has as as many snakes.

And if you get a NE wind, unlikely but if you do, I don't think you will get to Sandy Point in a raft until the wind dies.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Hey all!

I think Wayne christie has pics of a rattler swimming but it may also be a bull, I can't remember correctly.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
River is quite low right now, I would think you would need some work and a bit of luck to do it in 5 days, I would plan for 6. Plan on doing some pushing through shallows, not much for maneuverability with a raft. Canoe would be a better plan, then you would be able to maneuver a bit and cut your time down. Just be aware there are very few ranches on the river, once you pass Ellisses at the start of the british block, you are miles from any ranch houses. It is very hot down here if you are planning for now, bring lots of water, lots and lots. If you want to cut your time down Mr. Ellis is pretty good about letting you launch from his place. Bow Island to Medicine Hat would be about three days in a raft and has as as many snakes.

And if you get a NE wind, unlikely but if you do, I don't think you will get to Sandy Point in a raft until the wind dies.
Take heed in this advise about the wind, very important, been up and down this section of river in my jet a few times, use a canoe or kayak, long trip, I think about 170 km,,,, good luck..
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Did this trip in a jet boat a few years ago. If starting in the Hat it's about 3-1/2 hours at about 25 mph from what I remember. With the water as low as it is now, with a prop motor I'm sure you'll be hitting bottom more than once or twice. As for going through the block we had no issues and there was 6 or 7 boats on that trip. What I've heard is if you stop for any reason for longer than it takes to take a p**s than you might get some company show up. As long as it's clear you're just passing through you'll be fine. If I were you i'd seriously reconsider the trip for next spring with that type of boat.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM

In the sixties they use to have canoe races down the South Sask every summer. Medicine Hat to the Sandy Point Bridge. I thought they use to do it in a day with three in a canoe.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 05-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Ok, so it's spring and I am so ready to do this trip!

Do you need permission to go through the base in advance of the trip?

Kinda stoked to see some new habitat. I know it's rare to actually see the snakes swimming, but it's worth a shot, and it'll be an adventure regardless.

Funny story, last year - after I posted this - I ended up doing a "quick" trip from Fort Macleod to Lethbridge. It took 38 hours, and I spent the most miserable night in the history of misery hunkered down in my boat in +4 temps and Pincher Creekesque winds.

There's definitely something to be said for research and preparation!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 PM

I saw a rattler swimming across Rattlesnake dam quite a few years ago. He floated right on top of the water like he was made of cork, never sank into the water a bit!!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Super cool!
I’ll have to check that place out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
I saw a rattler swimming across Rattlesnake dam quite a few years ago. He floated right on top of the water like he was made of cork, never sank into the water a bit!!!!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, so it's spring and I am so ready to do this trip!

Do you need permission to go through the base in advance of the trip?
Yes, because if they are running training in the Koomati area (portion of the base on the east side of the river), it may be dangerous to be on the river.

Phone CFB Suffield Range Control at (403) 544-4310 and they can advise you when there is training go on and when it would be safe to float the river. Otherwise, you may get stopped for hours or days by a river sentry who actively monitor for boaters entering the base.