Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Beeman P17 Pellet Pistol for Grouse

Hey everyone I have done some research on there boards to see if you can use a pellet pistol for hunting grouse, and the answer I found was yes, as long as it is not over 500 fps. I have a Beeman P17 Pellet Pistol I bought a few years ago and it shoots 410 fps with the .177 pellets I use, would this be enough to kill a grouse? Even if it was a head shot? I don't want to shoot an animal with anything where the lethality of the weapon is "questionable," so if anyone has used one, or knows if 410 fps would be enough or if I should move up to a 450-490 fps one please let me know

Thanks,

Jack
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM

it will kill but the magpies I've shot with my .22 cal pellet pistol haven't been the most humane . Never got a head shot though . I have also killed gophers with it . Does your pistol have the accuracy for a head shot with consistency?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Killed lots rabbits with a .177! Should be no prob for a bird
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Yeah I think it should be fine, and at the right range it could consistently make head shots
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM

It will work but like any animal, some will survive to fly away, might not make it through the night but...
I hit one a couple years ago with my 22lr, blew its head off, and it flew straight up then over the trees never to be seen again. I went and bought a 20Ga, and it doesn't happen anymore

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM

I have a beeman .17 pistol and I would not consider it adequate for hunting grouse. The velocity is too low and accuracy is very poor to guarentee a humane kill. I have tried it on magpies on the farm but was not very successfull. I have a scoped .17 Gamo rifle that would work excellent on grouse - has killed lots of magpies and gophers. My beaman is just used for target practice around hunting camp. My preference for grouse is my 22 bolt action.

Sig