Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Where to look for sheds

Hey guys, new to shed hunting, might sound like a dumb question but where do you find the majority of your sheds? Is it better to follow game trail after game trail, or more in the open? etc. Thinking of going in a week or 2 ill post pics if I find some! Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Post where to look?

i focus on game trails.. i usualy go the feeding area first walk through that and make my way on the trails from the feeding area to the bedding area.. all my big sheds i find in the bucks bed, which is usualy the willows or under spruce trees. you can see what i found on one day of shed hunting this year, just go to the shed hunting thread.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM

I like to focus in the open more... as walking game trail after game trail, I find to be more useless than not (my opinion only, as I'm sure others do well this way). I find that the majority of well-used trails to be made by does and bambi's, so I like to stick to feeding areas for the most part, as they tend to be more open and give the greatest field of view for your time and effort. If you're not finding antlers in the feeding areas, then you're not looking in a "feeding" area.... especially after the amount of snow we've had this year.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

I totally agree with Gonefishn.Most of mine have been found in the open. The main trails seem to get lots of other traffic where the Porky's and coyotes hang out and maybe they scoop em up first.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Once I could see something odd sticking out of the snow from a road I drove back and forth from town. i put the binoculars on it and it was a shed. I walked out and picked it up with the Binos still around my neck. When I picked it up I had a look around the field with the optics and saw another antler on the far side. I walked over and it was the match to the one in my hand.

I have not seen any open fields where deer have been feeding this winter. However I have seen lots of really heavy trails and that is where I will concentrate this spring. (very soon, when the snow is still on the ground to show where the heavy trails are but not too deep for walking)

I reckon that because of the deep snow deer have not been traveling as far and wide as usual so the heavy trails may be better this year.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

I found 5 last week in the thick spruce and found another on the road near my house this afternoon..
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM

HAYSTACKS!
Watch for hay stacks ripped apart and surrounded in tracks.
I found 13 sheds, 3 matching sets.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Where they jump fence can be a good spot.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 PM

One word...FOOD. Find where they are feeding at the time the antlers are dropping. Scour the open areas and along the edges of bush and the first 20' inside the bush.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Hummm i usually find my sheds at Costco or Canadian tire.