Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Default Boots

What kind of boots do you guys wear while bow hunting. I'm in the market for a new set of good boots. They will only be used during bow season as I have another set for colder weather and muck boots.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Rocky bruins. 400 grams thinsulate

Lightweight, waterproof, good traction/support. Love 'em.

Got them at bass pro a few years ago. I tried on many though as the ones I liked best at first fit poor and were too expensive. Comfort is so important.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM

I usually just use my old(er) work boots

Red Wings with thinsulate and some heavy socks are you're good for winter, minus camo though.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Under Armour Speed Freaks...super light and tonnes of ankle support.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM

Best boots/ anything I've ever put on my feet is my elk hunters (600g thinsulate) by redwing boots.
At WSS and Cabelas they are around $300, go to the redwing shoe store and they're 30% off that price.

Warm enough for those chillier fall days, but not too warm that its unbearable.

Also, they're goretex, walked through a mad swamp last year and they were bone dry.

I tried on a pair of rockys and a few others and none of them were ven close to as comfortable, supportive or light.

Do yourself a favour and try a pair on, you'll buy love em too.

Schian
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 PM

I was looking into the elk hunters from Irish setter. I am going to have to go to the redwing store and try a set on, My work boots are also red wings and am very happy with the quailty and comfort.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM

I run around in the UA speed freaks. Love the way they feel. Light, good support, feel like a trail runner. When the season gets later or if I am in the tree stand Muck boots all the way. You feel like you are in crocks and no matter how much you may hate crocs, damn it! They are comfortable.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Classic Boggs dry, warm, light and quite= Prefect IMO
Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM

I wear muck boots until its too cold. From spring bear season to some time in November. Then I wear some insulated Danners. That's about 50 to 80 days in the field, including summer scouting. They last way better than any other boot I have had over the last 25 years.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Cabaelas have some awesome Bow hunting boots both for early and late seasons...ultra lite and comfortable..like hiking boots

Neil
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Best boots/ anything I've ever put on my feet is my elk hunters (600g thinsulate) by redwing boots.
At WSS and Cabelas they are around $300, go to the redwing shoe store and they're 30% off that price.

Warm enough for those chillier fall days, but not too warm that its unbearable.

Also, they're goretex, walked through a mad swamp last year and they were bone dry.

I tried on a pair of rockys and a few others and none of them were ven close to as comfortable, supportive or light.

Do yourself a favour and try a pair on, you'll buy love em too.

Schian
X1000 Awesome boots. I wear mine all season.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM

UA speed freaks, awesome boots!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm with "StickFlicker". Bass Pro - Rocky Bruins. I absolutely love them! To warn you, I bought them on line and followed BassPro's measuring instructions to the "T" but the boots were on the small size. I measured my feet with very heavy winter socks over a light pair. They are tight with that combo but fit perfectly with one pair of light socks. I kept them, because I loved them but will order one size up next time.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM

I use my flat footed Converse Chuck Taylors until I put the stalk on and then it it's socks only. I spend most of the 3 months after hunting season pulling cactus out of my feet and knees.