Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Lighted nocks

Just curious who is using lighted nocks?
Positives and negatives?
Also what is the best lighted nock?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Lighted nocks

I have red luminoks,an shot a bear in spring 2012 back in the spruces.was low light an the arrow looked like a lazer beam as it passed through the bear an the arrow zipped along the Forrest floor an lay ther lit up like a litl fireball!!!they are so cool!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM

I use and like them and see no negative other than if you shoot a P&Y or a B&C you cannot enter the animal in the book if the arrow has a lighted nock.

LC
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Are there and adverse effects to arrow flight by adding weight to the rear of the arrow?
I would like to use them for a couple reasons one being low light shots and two finding the arrow post shot.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I use and like them and see no negative other than if you shoot a P&Y or a B&C you cannot enter the animal in the book if the arrow has a lighted nock.

LC
Really? Wonder why that is? What advantage does a lighted nock give you in shooting an animal?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Really? Wonder why that is? What advantage does a lighted nock give you in shooting an animal?
Yup....I believe having a light attached to your sight makes the entry ineligible too.

LC
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM

They really are awesome to watch and can help determine a good hit or marginal one instantly...so makes a decion to wait a little longer for the animal to expire is easy.

makes finding the arrow easy ...more so in low light

Only cons are cost..they are not cheap...However find one arrow that is well hidden and they pay for themselves...

worst Con would be that many add substanial weight to the back end of the arrow changing the FOC [Front Of Center] of your normal arrows...border line tuned bows where broadheads fly great with normal set up may not fly well at all with some lighted nocks...

I seen them change from perfect flight to bad fish tailing or plane-ing of broadheads...

As always shoot broadheads when installing them to see if there is much change for your set up as with any change to bow or arrows...

this was more so with the early ones that were quite heavy...however they have evolved into much lighter and better nocks..

Neil
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Any brand suggestions?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM

I researched this and the consensus is Nockturnals. I also found they didn't change the POI on my bow, with field points. I haven't shot them with broad heads yet.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Firenoks are by far the best. Luminoks are brighter than nockturnals but some people have issues with getting luminoks to light every shot and they go out on impact at times.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
Firenoks are by far the best. Luminoks are brighter than nockturnals but some people have issues with getting luminoks to light every shot and they go out on impact at times.
Why do you prefer Firenoks over Luminoks? I've always used Luminoks and my only issue is the brightness... just curious
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Is there a store locally that carries fire nocks?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Lighted nocks contravene the club's policy of "no electronics attached to the bow and arrow". I am gathering from what I have read, that the membership for the most part acknowledges that lighted nocks do not provide an unfair advantage. However, they appear to be concerned that allowing lighted nocks could be a "slippery slope" toward allowing further electronic aids.

The P+Y Club has recently just reviewed and voted on this topic. The board vote was 7-5 in favor of allowing lighted nocks, and the general membership was 54% vs. 46% in favor of lighted nocks. However, to pass such a change to the club's bylaws, a 2/3 majority is required.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Default Nock

Just put them on this year, haven't looked back, as lost stated they are abit pricey but if your like me and you seem too loose an arrow or two in a season... It pays for itself, they do add alittle weight to your setup make sure too sling acouple down range.
Mike
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Why do you prefer Firenoks over Luminoks? I've always used Luminoks and my only issue is the brightness... just curious
I have shot luminoks for 5 years and have had both positive and negative results. This year I shot through a black bear and the arrow hit the barrel on the off side and the nock bounced out enough to lose contact and for the light to shut off. It did its purpose as I seem the impact of my shot.

In the past I have had a few not light up on the shot. They work great when they turn on. Firenocks turn on every time. There is never an issue with contact. They come in a bunch Of different colors of nocks and also a variety of colors of lights. Batteries are easy to replace and they come with practice nocks. They are motion activated and turn off by dropping 6 inches onto something fairly solid in the reverse direction.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM

I have looked on this forum before and it seems like the majoity like nocturnals, but they didnt work for me. I could never seem to get them tuned perfectly past 30 yards so I went back to regular nocks. The next ones I try will most likely be the fire nocks but I have some close friends that have had nothing but success with lumenocks (minus the one or two that are shot and dont light up).
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM

I agree with remmy,
I've used Firenocks for, will be 3rd season now.
The light when they should, never when they shouldn't.

TBark
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
Lighted nocks contravene the club's policy of "no electronics attached to the bow and arrow". I am gathering from what I have read, that the membership for the most part acknowledges that lighted nocks do not provide an unfair advantage. However, they appear to be concerned that allowing lighted nocks could be a "slippery slope" toward allowing further electronic aids.

The P+Y Club has recently just reviewed and voted on this topic. The board vote was 7-5 in favor of allowing lighted nocks, and the general membership was 54% vs. 46% in favor of lighted nocks. However, to pass such a change to the club's bylaws, a 2/3 majority is required.

D: The Leupold® Vendetta™ Bow-Mounted Rangefinder or simp[le lighted siights will also be in the same catorgory...most dont worry about it unless they got the World record tied up...lol

Neil
Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
D: The Leupold® Vendetta™ Bow-Mounted Rangefinder or simp[le lighted siights will also be in the same catorgory...most dont worry about it unless they got the World record tied up...lol

Neil

Yeah, I would say that for the most part no one worries about it.........I suppose the odd person who wanted to enter a trophy into P+Y after the fact would go Anyway, I was only attempting to answer Mike's question.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
Yeah, I would say that for the most part no one worries about it.........I suppose the odd person who wanted to enter a trophy into P+Y after the fact would go Anyway, I was only attempting to answer Mike's question.

And you did answer Mikes question very correctly..I was just adding to your statement for info...lol

All good
Neil
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM

I made my own this year to try them out and save half the price. Here is how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqLT-4ezzk

The only thing is I don't drill my knocks. They don't always turn on but not bad for "home made".

I'll let ya'll know how they work on game this year.