Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Default archery license

okay, as stated in the general discussion, I just moved to Alberta from Ontario. In Ontario, we don't need an archery license (your hunting license covers you) but I see you need one here. Is it a one time item or does it have to be purchased every year? More questions as I think of them lol.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM

Yup you gotta buy an archery permit every year and then whatever tags for big game after that.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM

And don't forget your wildlife certificate
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
And don't forget your wildlife certificate
Is this the same as a WIN card?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 PM

No WIN card is different. Need that first before able to buy any recreational license in Alberta. Needs to be renewed every 5 yrs I believe.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 AM

Don't worry the system will not let you proceed if you do not buy things in order....

1. WIN
2. Wildlife Certificate
3. Licenses and tags....don't forget the archery permit....

LC
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 AM

Basic Alberta / Ontario translations...

WIN = Outdoors Card (stripped down)
-> WIN is good for ~7years, rather then 3yrs for outdoors card (must be you at all times while hunting/fishing like normal)

Fishing Permit - Let me Fish piece of paper (must be on you at all times while fishing) (must be purchased yearly) (no "sport fishing" option available)

Wildlife Certificate = Let me Hunt piece of paper (must be on you at all times while hunting) (must be purchased yearly)

Bow Permit = Let me Hunt with my Bow piece of paper (must be on you at all times while hunting with bow for most everything) (must be purchased yearly)

Tags = Tags as normal, but no sticker for WIN card (must be purchased yearly)

Metal Hangers = Same as old Hangers formerly used in Ontario (must be used in Alberta) (usually comes with tags)

make sure you read the Regs carefully, there are several subtle differences between provinces, such as....
Crossbow does not count as "Archery equipment"
Antlers is 4in+ (rather than 3in+ in ontario)
most all "hoof" animal tag attached to hind quarter like ontario Moose
even thou tag is "antler/antlerless" evidence of sex is required (unless head remains attached); females sex evidence is utters, rather then vulva
must keep tail on deer full with hair as only official method of determining WT or Mule

there are several more differences, make sure you carefully read and not simply assume...and re-read as its easy to misread something since you will assume to be same as ontario
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 AM

should add....you can do most everything online, which is great since if you loss or damage (assuming you don't laminate it) your piece of paper(s), simply re-print a replacement; i usually keep a few spares in the truck just in case
Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 AM

Do you need a license to own and shoot a bow or just to hunt with one?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Licence (bow hunting permit) is required for hunting. No licence required for owning and shooting a bow.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplify View Post
Basic Alberta / Ontario translations...

WIN = Outdoors Card (stripped down)
-> WIN is good for ~7years, rather then 3yrs for outdoors card (must be you at all times while hunting/fishing like normal)

Fishing Permit - Let me Fish piece of paper (must be on you at all times while fishing) (must be purchased yearly) (no "sport fishing" option available)

Wildlife Certificate = Let me Hunt piece of paper (must be on you at all times while hunting) (must be purchased yearly)

Bow Permit = Let me Hunt with my Bow piece of paper (must be on you at all times while hunting with bow for most everything) (must be purchased yearly)

Tags = Tags as normal, but no sticker for WIN card (must be purchased yearly)

Metal Hangers = Same as old Hangers formerly used in Ontario (must be used in Alberta) (usually comes with tags)

make sure you read the Regs carefully, there are several subtle differences between provinces, such as....
Crossbow does not count as "Archery equipment"
Antlers is 4in+ (rather than 3in+ in ontario)
most all "hoof" animal tag attached to hind quarter like ontario Moose
even thou tag is "antler/antlerless" evidence of sex is required (unless head remains attached); females sex evidence is utters, rather then vulva
must keep tail on deer full with hair as only official method of determining WT or Mule

there are several more differences, make sure you carefully read and not simply assume...and re-read as its easy to misread something since you will assume to be same as ontario
Great, thanks, that certainly clears up alot of things
Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM

We had the bowhunting lic introduced because of the outstanding opportunities [All critters were just general tag..even Rocky Bighorn Sheep and Antelope ] and extended seasons...we sure didnt mind the the couple extra bucks...

I still dont mind the extra fee...even thou an Antelope or Bighorn can take a dozen years to get a tag...or even 5 years for a moose tag in some WMU's

However ..now mule deer ....and once we are on all draw like rifle...maybe they should drop the extra Bow hunting licence...

JMHO
Neil
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yep drop the extra archery expense it there is no benefit from it? The money goes where?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM

The archery license was supposedly put in place in order to help count the number of active archers year over year.

LC