Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Recommended Ranger Finder

Has anyone found a good "rangefinder" IPhone app that I could use for bow hunting? Or should I just buy a range finder and if so - any suggestions? (I'm new to bow hunting and really not sure what is available and good).
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM

I don't know of any phone app but I have a bushnell yardage pro sport 450.
I works great and they are not too expensive.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG View Post
Has anyone found a good "rangefinder" IPhone app that I could use for bow hunting? Or should I just buy a range finder and if so - any suggestions? (I'm new to bow hunting and really not sure what is available and good).
I can't imagine that an iPhone app would be sufficient. In my mind of the process, snapping a pic with the iPhone, then calibrating something in the pic and calculating a distance would be how it would work. But what happens when the calibration subject is bigger or smaller than you guess it is? Could throw your calculated distance off by quite a bit....

Better to buy a rangefinder (Bushnell 450 sport is less expensive and does a very good job for the $ involved) and allow it to do the job it was designed for - ranging to a target. With a little practice, you can range through trees/bush and everything else (except fog).

I had a 450 sport too (my son now owns it) before I upgraded to another Bushnell, bought here on AO classifieds....

J.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Thank you guys!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM

I have the Vortex but I also use it for rifle season. At least I did last year.
For bow hunting you obviously don't need an expensive range finder that can range really far as the distances are short, so I'd just pick up a range finder instead of using a Iphone app.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM

I have heard amazing things about the vortex but, I have 2 of the leupold rx 1000's and they works great, one is tbr and the other is normal
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM

If you are tree stand hunting there is no need for a range finder....check your shooting lanes and pace off ranges in each of them....flag or carve some bark off a sapling in the lane....save yourself some $$$.

What we did in the days before rangefinders.

LC
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
I have heard amazing things about the vortex but, I have 2 of the leupold rx 1000's and they works great, one is tbr and the other is normal
they've worked well for you? I just picked one up used for what i think was a good deal and am interested. Hopefully i'll get some use out of mine soon.

It is a tbr with DNA
Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Ranger Finder?????

Man, poachers could use that product.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzz30tt View Post
they've worked well for you? I just picked one up used for what i think was a good deal and am interested. Hopefully i'll get some use out of mine soon.

It is a tbr with DNA
So far they work awesome I love mine
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
So far they work awesome I love mine
Just got the latest 800i TBR DNA Leupold and a couple other things...strickly for bow hunting...l;oved the small size...was dissappointed it didnt have the red readout like other same models...and this was the most expensive

but it is fantastic for sure ...better than others I have seen for hundreds more...

Neil
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Got the Leupold 1000 TBR for $500 after looking around for a while. It will range a deer at 600 yards. I was ranging everything for that first week!

If you just need it for bow, like others have said, pacing out your distances will be fine. I pace distances to 50 yards and, using the rangefinder, found I was never more than a yard or two off.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Oh! I got mine for 170 used. I guess i DID get a deal.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM

The Bushnell Chuck Adams Edition is on sale at Cabelas this week...
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 PM

I put the vendetta on my bow WOW, I found it fairly easy to setup and got used to the extra weight in a week, i even went as far as to cut some weight from the mount, as far as operation goes , simple, fast, and very accurate, cant understand why everybody doesn't have one.I don't generally by a lot of extra gadgets but with a bow range is everything for a clean kill,and i love this vendetta ,its been on my bow since april lots of shooting with no problems or adjusting we'll see how it stands up to a hunt...soon
Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Have two Bushnell range finders. One is back up, but i guess it grew legs.. it seems to have taken up residence in the girlfriends bow case Love them Bushnell!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Default New range finder

Just ended up getting the vector "ranger" model. Awesome range finder has both modes angle and straight distance don't know if it ranges out the full 1000 yards but every house down the block is bang on lol, awesome glass on the thing I was surprised actually, and quick to top it off, recommend it especially when opening day is right around the corner
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Just ended up getting the vector "ranger" model. Awesome range finder has both modes angle and straight distance don't know if it ranges out the full 1000 yards but every house down the block is bang on lol, awesome glass on the thing I was surprised actually, and quick to top it off, recommend it especially when opening day is right around the corner
Do you mean Vortex Ranger? If so, I've got one and love it so far.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Walmart has a Halo on sale right now.Regular $239. on sale for $139.I dont know anything about them ,maybe someone else has some info on them.Goodluck.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM

I run a set of Fusion binos by bushnell. They have not let me down yet. Check out Natchez Shooter Supplies in the states. They have them on sale for 10X42mm $669.00; 12X50 $729.00 until Oct 31, 2013. Wholesale wants $1069.00 for the 12X50's and $996.00 for the 10X42mm. You will save a couple hundred getting them in from them, they also have deals on other Rangefinders. The only ones you cannot bring in are Leupold for some reason.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Default randgefinder

i have leica and swarovski binos and i just bought the new vortex razor bino last week and i can say that side buy each there is little to no difference i am shocked awesome glass. then i also bought the new vortex ranger 1000 and before buying it i compared it with the crf 1000r and choose the vortex found it brighter. i cant say enough about there high end line up
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Do you mean Vortex Ranger? If so, I've got one and love it so far.
yes sir!! That's exactly what I meant