Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Manitoba May Long

I've posted this on another forum as well but thought some here might enjoy it.

As the title says, I and 4 other friends made the 12 hour drive east to try our luck during a late spring.

First day we hit Patterson Lake and did really well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zex0f59e8nfeay2/P5160350.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlwm13fs99wmno6/P5160359.JPG

Second day hit Tokaryk and our boat caught a lot of browns while the two other guys with us really struggled... go figure. Couldn't find the bows there but we weren't complaining.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ud6tu7z0gt5ya8/P5170379.JPG

That night a system rolled in and we hit another lake nearby that we had good success last year in similar conditions: windy, rainy, nasty = good fishing. However, 5 of us only moved 3 fish in one little bay the entire day.

Our last full day we went to Persse and although we got out of the wind, that was about all we did. Fishing was tough and we caught a few fish but that was it. The next morning we hit it again and I got into a few with one monster that I fought for quite some time before it wrapped around my anchor rope and reeds and snapped me off.

With the late, late spring I think we timed it a little off and turnover looked to be an issue at a couple of lakes but we did get into some fish, and some nice ones.

And again, it becomes evident very quickly how well that fishery is run and how much we could learn from it if we were willing.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:36 PM

thanks for posting..i was there last spring[not so good].back in the fall,better fishing even though there was some summerkill..did you try twin & the infamous tigers?i agree srd has along way to go to catch up with there regulations/development of quality fisheries.compared to manitoba logig,which is unsurpassed
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Fantastic!!

Just too bad you have to drive 12 hours for it...if only AB could take a hint...
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Congrats!! Nice fish!