Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM

Default what luck....

well i tried fishing a few places this weekend two of which were with my fly rod . my question to yall is what is a good fly or two to start with so either me or my gf might have a chance to hook somethin i tried purple and green leaches a copper john an ant and a smaller hopper also a water boatmen ive gotten the nack of casting maybe its my retrieve i also would let it sit awhile but no bites and believe me i tried all day today any help would be great .... thx in advance
Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 PM

are you fishing flowing or stillwater?

if stillwater my go to flies are beadhead wooly buggers with chronies or boatmen as a trailer and dead drift them under an indicator.

if flowing water i still dead drift under an indicator but switch it up a bit and usually go with bead head nymphs like pheasant tails. evil weevils. hares ear. copper johns. or prince nymphs. once and awhile i will chuck on stoneflies or wooly buggers if i notice something similar in the water.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 PM

stillwater just fishing ponds with small trout that sounds good ill have to give it a whirl see what happens i never tied two flies on one line nor have i used an indicator but heres to learnin right ... thx alot
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
well i tried fishing a few places this weekend two of which were with my fly rod . my question to yall is what is a good fly or two to start with so either me or my gf might have a chance to hook somethin i tried purple and green leaches a copper john an ant and a smaller hopper also a water boatmen ive gotten the nack of casting maybe its my retrieve i also would let it sit awhile but no bites and believe me i tried all day today any help would be great .... thx in advance
I fish mostly small rivers, streams, and ponds. At least down here, I find microleeches to be great search patterns. This time of year, as the water is fairly murky, purple and red seem to work well. Later in the summer, when the water is clearer, olive and brown seem to work better. Timing helps with the leeches. I work with strips of about 8-10", and space then about a second apart. As I am retrieving, I actually am saying (mentally, not out loud) "strip, 1, 2, strip, 1, 2, strip, 1, 2..." Alternatively, use a dry that sits high in the water, like a mosquito.

Finally, check carefully to see if there is a hatch taking place. Caddis flies, for example, have been emerging lately; and mayflies should be, as well. If there are good numbers of emergers around, and there are fish surfacing, you're going to have to match the hatch as closely as you can, for any hope of a rise.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 AM

On stocked ponds, I like a white wooley bugger stripped in fairly fast and sporadically. #12-ish is good.

That's what I'll usually start with

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM

For ponds and small lakes I like to troll a brown or orange wooly worm on sinking tip line, unless the fish are rising, then whatever dry fly works, usually smaller is better!