Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Mara Lake B.C. Advice Needed

We are headed to Mara on Thursday and I haven't fished it since I was a kid. We used to just troll Flatfish or Willow Leafs for Kokanee and Rainbows. I understand there are Lakers in there as well, do I have any chance to catch them without a downrigger or will they still be too deep? I'm thinking I will have to be fairly deep to catch a 'bow of any size as well. I'm really excited to fish there again because my 8 year old son has not caught anything other than pike and walleye. Any other lures or tips would be a big help.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM

The salmon are there this time of year. I've seen them use big red and white plugs for them. Several years ago a woman in the same campground had her rod snapped off. I went out with them one evening, asked why she was using such big iron to fish for rainbow, she told me the story and said "no way that is going to happen again". I was told the lakers are about 80' deep this time of year.
Good luck
Doug
Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM

Now I'm really interested Dugh. I hadn't thought about the salmon being in there already. I have not fished for salmon before. What type of tackle would I need to be prepared for a salmon? Line strength? Is a thin wire leader needed? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM

Sorry I can't help Chief, never done it, only saw others doing it. Apparently they don't feed, so you have to make them strike out of anger or something. Further down the highway there is a town on the river (Grinrod I think), there should be people fishing there. Thats where I got most of my info and saw a 22 pounder. They used to be almost shoulder to shoulder fishing from the bridge but that is probably outlawed now.
Doug
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Smile

Lakers as stated are down deep. 70 to 100 feet is about usual this time of year. Also the same for the big rainbows. You may get some in the evenings or early mornings closer to the surface. Troll a 4" long Apex. White/Silver, White/Blue, Silver/Blue, Silver/Green, or Black/Silver. Put on a banana weight about 5oz in line about 5-10 feet behind the lure. Troll it beside the boat for a bit and see what speed gives you the best action. Then let it down. It will usually get down about 10 to 20 feet depending on your speed. This is usually effective in the spring or fall. But hey you just never know there. I used to live down there and we caught nice fish at all times of the year.

What I'd do is stick one rod down low and if you have someone else in the boat you can give them a light rod with a "small" willowleaf that has red in it and a wedding ring. If there is kokanee around they'll go after that.

Good luck. Go catch yourself breakfast.

Rob