Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Help with Fly Fishing for a begginer

So i recently inherited my dads fly rod because he has no interest in using a fly rod anymore. Ive been trying and trying in all the rivers in around Caroline and Innisfail and such but i just haven't got any luck. I've fished the raven river, Stauffer creek, Clearwater river, red deer river and i mean i have spent days at a time at each of these rivers, I'm just wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong and am looking for some tips. Times to fish, where to fish on the rivers, what rivers to fish (in around the red deer - rocky mountain house area), what to use, what time in the season, what fish to target. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
On the good note, i have spent so much time in the past few weeks fishing with the fly rod i have gotten the casting pretty much down.

Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Hey Battery,you have more patience than i have all i gotta say.
I go to a different site for fly fishing,there are alot of guys that fish the rivers.I don't know how so i can't give any advice but would love to know how.Lakes i know and do better on
Check this out,ask the guys some question see if they answer,They are pretty clicky though

http://www.setbb.com/albertaflyfish/...albertaflyfish
Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Something isn't right!

Some things to change are: the leader (tippet) size. Go smaller-lighter weight, longer. Different knot used to tie fly. Are you a smoker? touching the fly? could be it.
I use anywhere from 4 ft to 12 ft of leader.
I have my best luck with black wolly buggers.
I try to never let my line land before the fly. The landing can spook fish.
When issues arise and they usually do!! LOL I go to shorter casts (10-20 ft)
Hope something helps!
Tony
Old 08-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Thanks for both the replies! and yes i do smoke will that effect the fish? they wont bite from the scent or what?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Smoking no effect. You need a camo hat.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 PM

ha I have been flyfishing with a Bright blue mohawk before. I have also gone flyfishing with a bright orange hat on... A camo hat is a waste of money.

Your best bet is to bring a selection of flies and try different patterns,
sometimes it takes tying on a few different flies before you find one that is productive, Take into consideration what hatches are common for this type and time of year.

For example in august i hit up many rivers and streams along the Forestry trunk road and Jasper for rocky moutain whites. I use a Royal Coachman and a brown hackle and get results.

Every body of water is different... look for pools and keep an eye out for what is on the water... a mosquito pattern or streamer works one hour and then nothing the rest of the day sometimes....
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Shrubs

I'm no pro but a few things...

Make sure you have enough weight and leader on your nymphs and streamers to get them to the bottom of the water you're fishing. Your line or indicator should hesitate and you'll get the odd snag. This means you're hitting bottom where most of the fish you're after are.

For dry fly fishing you want to drift your fly past the fish with as little splash and drag as possible. Fish like Goldeye are a little more forgiving but a good thing to practice.

Try to fish from dowstream up. This way you're coming up behind the fish and they're not as likely to spook.

Especially important on places like Raven and Stauffer. Try to make as little noise as possible and cast up past the fish ( I like half my leader in front and half behind).

Dave Jensen wrote a great article on the Clearwater in the fishing guide. Giver er a read it's got a lot of great info.

For flies it might be a good idea to visit a fly shop and get some one knowledgeable to help you out. Remembering all the names isn't as important as getting a general idea and putting something similar to the other bugs on the water. Presentation > sophisticated buggery imho.

I don't think smoking affects the fishing, landed a 19 inch brown on stauffer yesterday and broke off a bigger one after having a cigar. I like to smoke and watch the creek.

Shrubs
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Thanks for all the great responses guys!! and shrubs i never seem to even see the fish in stauffer and raven its so clear yet i dont see them so i dont know where to cast haha but ill try all those things thanks! and i will definatley take a look at the fishing guide
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM

Default smoking and the smell on you hands

affects the scent-absolutely for sure!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM

Let me see. 1, 2, 3, 4, theres another 4 over there and got at least 3 in my trailer. 11 camo hats---and I smoke. I get alot of fish. Must be the camo.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Default ah hell I am

off to get a camo hat and some cubans! LOL
I love this board cuz we don't need to fight and argue-take what works and leave the rest. I like the part about watching the creek-my favorite pastime with or without the rod.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Thanks for all the great responses guys!! and shrubs i never seem to even see the fish in stauffer and raven its so clear yet i dont see them so i dont know where to cast haha but ill try all those things thanks! and i will definatley take a look at the fishing guide
You don't really want to see the fish, if you can see them they can see you and they're gone. Try to fish the likely looking spots from a distance. Maybe scope the water out on your way downstream and fish it on your way up.

The closest thing you want to see to a fish is a rise

Good luck
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM

okay. So as you mentioned i should walk down the river and then come up behind the fish?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
okay. So as you mentioned i should walk down the river and then come up behind the fish?
All fish face upstream. It's just what they do. All their feed comes to them from upstream. They are constantly on the watch for food drifting by. At last years Fly Fishing Show at Spruce Meadows one of the presentations was a guy who had an underwater camera. I can't remember the guys name now. But the point is they showed the fish looking at all kinds of offerings as they drifted by. A fish may swim down stream, and from time to time it may chase something down as it drifts by. But they will always return facing upstream.

I have been fishing all my life and I am 47 now. I can honestly say that the majority of the time you never ever see the fish that your catching. In fact very rarely do you see them.

Walk upstream and fish as you go.

Rob
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Well I am opposite of you fellas. I prefer to fly fish downstream.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com