Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Michelle lake info

Just wondering if anyboby has any info on Michelle Lake out by the Columbia Icefields???
My wife has booked a 1 day fishing trip for Golden Trout for the 13th of Sept and was wondering what it would be like and what would one use, Nymphs or Drys.
its a 1 day fly-in trip/unguided.

Any help would be great.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM

I've done some poking around for info and everyone saying dry flies. But I think I would take abit of everything! You can see the fish cruising from shore. So sight fishing is good. Good luck and let me know how everything goes! Had to cancel our trip there....stupid sheep hunting! Ha,Ha...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM

Cool, thanks for the reply...Kinda bad time of the year. The wife got it for our 10th Ann. and Ive all ready booked some time off for elk...
will keep you posted.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM

I assume that you're flying in with Icefields Helicopters out of Cline River. We did that trip a couple of years ago and had a blast. We brought in our float tubes -but never used them. The golden's were cruising the shoreline, and with plenty of room for a backcast, shore-fishing was fine. Our largest was maybe 14 inches - mainly in the 8 to 10 inch range - but absolutely beautiful fish and a terrific experience.

We didn't get much action on the drys, used mainly small black/dark nymphs, with little or no weight. Smaller pheasant-tails and prince nymphs worked well.

Here's the outlet falls from Michele - which is why choppering in is the way to go!