Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 PM

Default Blood Stains

Just got my dall sheep lifesize cape back from tannery and the blood stains are still in it. Looking for some ideas or input to remove them. Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM

Why not ask the TAXI who did it??? And he could explain to you why they are still there. As well he may even clean it for you since it should have been done.

AL
Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 PM

White paint.

This could be tough. After tanning, that blood is fixed in the hair. Maybe a careful dye job. Take the cape to a hair salon?

Why was there blood in the cape BEFORE it went to the taxidermist?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 AM

Hope the hair doesn't fall out like it did on my antelope .. taxi says that's why it happened [ blood stained cape ] of course that's my fault ? had it to him within a couple of hours after I got it .. good luck .
Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Try putting methyl hydrate on a rag and gently wiping it out.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM

I read somewhere thast hydrogen peroxide will pull the blood out of the hair. Not sure if this needs to be done before the tanning process however....

Just a question....did you notice the stains after the tanning process? or did the guy who tanned it tell you about it? I would think if you were paying someone for hide prep they would do just that....prep it? I will admit I have never taken a cape in for tanning but I would expect it is part of the process or that if it needed to be cleaned before tanning the taxi guy would call and let me know to do a better job cleaning it......not like a Dall Sheep is a mulie buck and you can just go out and get another cape.

Lefty
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Take it back and tell them to bleach or clean it.......no way it should have come back like that. Half arsed work imo.

Bleaching is an "extra" cost on dall. I prefer not to have it done and have never requested it as I like the animals as close to the way they were when they were killed......but that's personal. They are not ivory white on the mt.

There is no excuse for blood on a "finished" cape.

tm
Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Am with Tundra monkey for the most part. But when it was killed and caped. And brought to camp the blood should have been washed out before it had the weeks or months to set in solidly. Could wipe it with Hydrogen peroxide and wipe it off again after A few minutes. Don't leave it on though.

WM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 AM

This may be an issue with whom ever tanned it. I had a mountain goat come in that should be going home to a client today. When it came in, one of the shots went through the neck and blew a hole through the other side of the neck that I could put my fist through....you can only imagine the blood on that goats hair. In fairness to the client, there was no place on the mountain for him to wash the blood out and it came in as is. When I got it back from the tannery, the only slight stain on the goat was on his front knees where they kneel down to graze in the rocks and have that cronic dirt stain to the knees.....which is very natural. The rest of the cape is beautiful, creamy white like the rest of him looked like when it came in. Very pleased with the tannery's job on this tough on.....all that was left for me was to repair the large hole....do some alterations on the neck size due to the loss of hide...and the mount was completed.

Check with your taxidermist on where the hide was tanned....if it was in house tanning, they may not be able to do the same bleaching process as the tanners can.

Marco
Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
White paint.

This could be tough. After tanning, that blood is fixed in the hair. Maybe a careful dye job. Take the cape to a hair salon?

Why was there blood in the cape BEFORE it went to the taxidermist?
x2 If you dont want any blood on your cape you have to look after it in the field..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
x2 If you dont want any blood on your cape you have to look after it in the field..
Other than wiping off and cleaning with water or snow we do nothing to clean any capes or hides....usually nothing unless there is a ton of it. This includes dall, white wolves and caribou who have a snow white blaze on their necks. It comes off in the tannery when they put it through the washing machine......or I assume it does as we have never had an issure with blood on capes after coming back from the tannery. I usually have my skins/capes at the tax man before 5 days though......he then finishes it off. He does not tan most of the hides and they are sent to different tanneries depending on what type of animal it is. Apparently some tanneries are better at certain animals in his opinion.

tm
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM

x3 with TM
He was there when I took my Dall and yes there was blood on the cape.
Not a lot but the usual and we didnt worry about it.
We had the cape on the mountain for a couple days after and a day or so after that before we got it to the Taxidermist.
My mount came back better then perfect. Theres no hint of blood or any other staining. I too didnt opt for any bleaching of my cape.
I would put the onus directly back on the taxidermist. He should have seen the staining as soon as it was back and had the tannery do something about it

Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta