Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Partition Vs Grand Slam

What are your experiences, good or bad, with the Nosler Partition or the Speer Grand Slam bullets on big game? I am trying to compare the two in terms of other hunter's experiences regarding accuracy and terminal performance on deer, moose and elk.

I know that in theory, they are both designed to have a similar terminal effect (similar weight retention and expansive properties) but I would like to read some real world experiences. I have heard great things about the partition, but the Grand Slams are usually a fair bit cheaper and I like that

I am probably interested more in hearing about the Grand Slam, since there is quite an abundance of reports on the Partition already. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Just Partition experience

Partrition 200gr in 300 win mag 2950 ft/s
3 bears one shoot each (spine , shoulder blade , lung shot )
1 moose calf ( head shoot)
1 grouse (neck shot)
1 wolf (neck shot)

Accurate effective bullet
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM

I think the NP is the best hunting bullet ever designed. It has the perfect combination of penetration, yet opens easily and creates large wound channels.

That's not to say there aren't other good bullets, and perhaps some better for unique circumstances. Overall though, in 95%+ instances, it would be difficult to beat a partition.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM

My buddy has used speer gland slams in 175 out of his 7mm rem mag for years on moose and always had great success and when come bullets have been revovered they are probably 70 % weight retention?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Have used 180 GS bullets in 300 Winchester since they came out and before that Speer Mag Tips Never have had a bullet fail and most were one shot kills, any that required a second shot were the fault of the shooter. Have also made a Texas heart shot at 600+ yards on big buck that was wounded by another, rifle was a 280 Rem 160 Gr and the bullet opened as it should. My son uses 180 Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws(no longer available) in a 300 RUM on elk .In last five years all were one shot kills from 50 yds to 350+ yds. Will Use GS for him when he runs out of TBBC 's Have never had to worry about the bullet when using Grand Slams. They are a true Premium Bullet..
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM

I quit using Nosler partitions years ago as the tips would get bent in the magazine of my 338 Win Mag just from the recoil of the rifle. I switched to Grand Slams which had a flatter tip and never looked back. The Grand Slams are still my favourite bullet for Moose and Elk.

-Craig
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
I think the NP is the best hunting bullet ever designed. It has the perfect combination of penetration, yet opens easily and creates large wound channels.

That's not to say there aren't other good bullets, and perhaps some better for unique circumstances. Overall though, in 95%+ instances, it would be difficult to beat a partition.
X2. They work so well under so many shot conditions. Old design but still a great one.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Grand Slam everyday of the week.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 AM

I switched to Partitions about 40 years back, and never regreted it. Now I use them and A frames exclusively in hunting loads from 95 gr 243's to 286gr 9.3 x 62's. Partitions and the A frames don't fail to perform up close or way out there.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 AM

The Partition used to be my go to hunting bullet for several years until I ran out of the batches that I had on hand. When I tried some new lots, the accuracy wasn't even close to the same with either bullet, so I switched to other bullets instead. Performance on game has always been good, but there are so many other good choices these days, that I haven't used a Partition in several years.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

I've never been able to tell the difference in killing potential from
either. not going to go out and say I've shot hundreds of animals but I'm at 42 kills used partitions ,grand slams in the federal blue box, hornady interlocks, and as of lately nosler accubonds but always keep going back to the federal blue box
Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Gone Hunting

I went from the NP's in my 7mm Rem Mag. to Accubonds(went to 160's), similarly in my 25.06(went to 110's), because of the lead nose. Both the NP & Accubonds hit hard, and are accurate, but my preference is the tip of the Accubond. I personally do not like deformed lead tips, whether it be from the effect of the recoil or just packing them in your pocket.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM

The new grandslams kinda suck. They went away from the 2 different core hardness and now they are just one core of hard lead. The 250g 338 I used to use was great (and accurate) with the old style. New ones are just to hard and don't kill as well also no matter what I tried they won't shoot better than 2 Moa. Back to partitions for me.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask/alta boy View Post
Grand Slam everyday of the week.
The trouble with Speer bullets is that they are getting hard to find in Canada. They seem to be dropping out of the bullet race overall.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM

I've used both and they are good bullets. I still use the GS in my 7mm Rem Mag. The gun liked the 175 grain going out at about 2850. Very accurate and it hits hard knocking down everything I've fired it at.

I used the NP in my 270, but I switched to the Nosler Accubond because of the tip and I think the accubond is a little more accurate than the NP in that particular gun.

It is becoming harder to find Speer bullets in Canada, it's too bad, they make a good product.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 PM

I could not get good accuracy with Speer Grand Slams. I think they're a wonderful bullet if you can hit what you're aiming at. Really like the way they hold together and mushroom.

With NP's, no issues. Good accuracy in any cartridge I've loaded them in. And of course, also excellent terminal performance.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 PM

Partitions all the way. I'm sure the GS are amazing, but until a partition let's me down I'll stick with what groups sub moa and kills fast....
Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Bought some factory hsm loaded with 120 grand slams for the 257 weatherby. Got a good deal so basically shot them of for the Brass. From coyotes to crows they were accurate and nothing moved after. A neighbour of mine shoots 120 grand slams out of his 25-06. Last year he got a bull moose one shot and it was done.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Anyone using Swift A Frames ?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 AM

This is a old thread, but nothing has really changed. Partitions still are my first choice in most of my rifles. The GS of today is not the same as it was when it was introduced.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Anyone using Swift A Frames ?
Same as a partition for practical purposes , just more expensive.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the A frame holds it's tip together better than the partition... Maybe it's bonded?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 PM

I couldn't see any difference between the two as far as terminal performance went, I'd opt for what the rifle likes and shoots the best.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I think being bonded holds the A frame together a little better. Someone mentioned in an earlier post the Partition will often shed the lead in the nose.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Woodliegh
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well you got to sum it up to which bullet shoots best out of your rifle, both are good bullets but I tell ya I have had great one shot kills with partitions from 7 mm STW to 7-08....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Both the A frame ad the Partition are H-mantel bullets, but the A Frames I have seen have very little lead on the tip as opposed to the Noslers.
Cat