Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Sonar question

Got a screaming deal on a Garmin ECHOMAP sonar. Also got the ice fishing kit and it comes with a transducer with a beam angle from 16 to 24 degrees. For most of my fishing in less than 30 feet will it work well? How would it work in deep water at cold lake? Do you recommend getting the 7-16 degree transducer for deep water? Thanks!!
Old 11-26-2020, 05:12 PM

It will work just fine at Cold Lake
Old 11-26-2020, 05:26 PM

You could run the 8 pin GT10HW 7-16 degree transducer on your 4 pin sounder with an adapter cable. In less than 30', the GT8HW you have is the one you want. In deeper (100'+), other variables come into play. But the one you have is probably fine. There are online calculators that will tell you what the bottom coverage is at various depths, and you can decide what is right for you.

Narrow beam transducers are primarily for saltwater. Only in Alberta is Cold Lake considered deep. lol.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Yes the Gt10 is the one I was considering and to be honest it will be my first time to cold lake this winter and was planning to hit it a few times based on all the good things I hear about it on here. Was not sure if I needed the gt10 for a few trips there a year. Will test out the gt8 (16-24 degrees) around here as well as Cold Lake and see how it goes. I know the narrower beam would be better at cold lake and was just curious how the wider beam would be or if it would work at all. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:32 PM

I have a striker 5 with the gt8 ducer....will pick up a 3/8oz jig a foot off bottom in 100ft of water no problem without cranking up the sensitivity too much. I can put it in a hole between my wife an I in the tent (6 feet apart) and itll usually pick up both lures that deep. I don't do a pile of deep water fishing but it works great when I want to.