Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM

Default Ice Fishing Recommendations

Hello! I am located in Edmonton, I know that a lot of people like to keep their secrets about the hot spots but I was wondering if anyone had any Recommendations for somewhere to go within 2 hours of Edmonton. I like trout but I am not determined to only fish for trout.

I barely ever catch anything so I am getting disappointed!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2022, 02:12 PM

Default I live in Airdrie but

I do not live close to Edmonton but I has fished Pigeon. Provincial park access, which I know is the opposite side from Edmonton. The "drop off" there produces.

I hear there are massive humpback Whitefish in Pigeon but I have not gone after them before. Maybe when the burbs spawn I will make the drive.

Search " Alberta ice fishing" in Youtube. There are a bunch of guys in the Edmonton area that post videos on lakes close to you with a wide range of species from whitefish, burbot, perch, trout, walleye and pike.

I am not complaining as I chose to live in Airdrie but you have quite the range of options within 2 hr drive of Edmonton.

Good Luck!

Eric
Old 01-11-2022, 05:34 PM

Wabamum right in front of the town marina you should be able to get into some walleye without too much trouble. This might help you break the dry spell.

The pigeon drop off is great in the summer. I've never fished it in the winter, but I imagine it produces as well.