Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Default New Ice Hut

What are some must haves for any new ice hut build? Handy things most guys wouldn't think of?
Old 11-28-2020, 12:08 PM

Don't know what kind of ice that you had but I renovated mine for a single seat storage compartments for propane in my heater

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Don't know what kind of ice that you had but I renovated mine for a single seat storage compartments for propane in my heater

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
wow this is a very nice design, almost like a deck of a bass boat haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-28-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
What are some must haves for any new ice hut build? Handy things most guys wouldn't think of?
Do a search on iceshanty for ice shack mods or ice trap mods. Some really impressive stuff on there.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:41 PM

I just converted my 2 man Clam Yukon XL to a one man. It looks similar to 35 whelen's, but minus the deck since I hand bomb it on a Smitty sled at early ice. If you want to talk Cadillac, I run an Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort behind my Ranger if we're not winter camping. I could sleep in it myself though...the tub is 85" X 44".

The most important mod is lights. You can buy fancy lights like the ones I have from Otter in the Resort. A much better idea is to just get a 15' string of IPX 65 -rated lights from Amazon and cut to size. The Amazon lights even come with a dimmer if you order the right ones (*not* the ones in the link).

Tub lights that shine on the holes are also nice when you don't need a lot of light, but want to see what is going on at your feet (TIP - point one of them into the tub so you can see in there too ). These lights from Clam work really well, and give off just the right amount of light with two facing the holes and one in the tub.

If you're going to run 12v power through your shelter, I'd wire in a Vexilar Glo-Ring, or better yet something built from Amazon parts that will likely be brighter. It makes using glow lures more effective. And you'll be staying out longer in the dark in a new shelter, because you'll be more comfortable.

Something that lets you store your rods safely so you can change presentations quickly is also handy. I like Clam's offering because it's small, but any rod holder can be made to work.

One of my favorite accessories on the inside is Clam's Spreader Pole Storage System. One should come standard in every manufacturer's sleds

On the outside, make sure you have a Hyfax runner kit to prolong the life of the sled, and a cover to keep everything inside. If you plan on ripping across the lake on some sort of motorized transport, be aware that covers can come off. So it's best to keep an eye on the sled from time to time.

That should get you going. If you see anything else that interests you, PM me. I've seen most of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZQK4326[1].jpg (42.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-29-2020, 11:27 PM

Depending on the size and if it's a wooden ice fishing shack, a fold down cot/ bed on the wall is handy to have. It can double as a table too. We used an ice shack at Lesser Slave lake once that had fold down bunks. It was nice to be able to take a break and stretch out.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets