Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Too young and such a tragedy for all involved. Sad to hear.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Feel better about yourself now?
No better and no worse. Hope you are having a great Sunday
Old 01-26-2020, 06:31 PM

Sounds like the death toll has risen to 9 with other children on board possibly. Terrible.....
Old 01-26-2020, 06:32 PM

Pretty crappy situation. There's something to be said for being on the ground when your vehicle has a mechanical issue.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Don't be surprised at some on this site, it's embarrassing to be among them, but I stick around due to the fine other members and mods I all respect.

He did so much for others in LA ,helping schools, homeless in massive numbers, the list is to long to write very well respected by the top people all over the world as a fine human.But not here or any respect for the others that died also,Karma really ,you have to be drunk to say this,but there sober that's the crazy part.

His daughter who died was playing at one of his academics from what I hear.

Over an out.

JD
He was a good man. I idolized him. He was humble and relatable. Did a lot of charity work. Amazing player, top 3 I 'd say. Clutch shots, he was the guy. RIP.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
No better and no worse. Hope you are having a great Sunday
What juice u running? I need something new
Old 01-26-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Pretty crappy situation. There's something to be said for being on the ground when your vehicle has a mechanical issue.
Sad situation all around, but once said...… better to on the ground wishing you were in the sky than in the sky wishing you were on the ground.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 AM

Never really followed basketball but now I am reading articles and just seeing what his death has done to literally close a country or more down in utter pain and disbelief....I see he also reached out to other sporting athletes for encouragement etc and countless other ways to show his support.

It's amazing how through sports that an athlete has so much more to contribute to others than just the game they play....

Old 01-27-2020, 06:34 AM

No different than if Gretzky and his daughter died at 41. Tragic.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:19 AM

Neither fame nor money can protect you from death, over time there have been many great and famous people die, some of old age some of cancer and some in tragic accidents.

My 95 years old grandmother used to say " enjoy life and don't take it so serious, nobody gets out alive "

RIP to all 9 on board, in many ways their life was just as important, even if they were not as famous.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Was it mechanical or did the pilot fly into a hill side in fog? I read more about dealing with bad fog than mechanical. Whatever the cause, that will be determined soon enough. Either way, sad for a lot of people. I always wonder when a air flight crash is due to bad weather and it seems like the pilot could have turned back, why continue?

Not a basketball fan but seeing one of that sports great go out like that becomes a where were you moment. Sad 8 others died too. RIP.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Was it mechanical or did the pilot fly into a hill side in fog? I read more about dealing with bad fog than mechanical. Whatever the cause, that will be determined soon enough. Either way, sad for a lot of people. I always wonder when a air flight crash is due to bad weather and it seems like the pilot could have turned back, why continue?

Not a basketball fan but seeing one of that sports great go out like that becomes a where were you moment. Sad 8 others died too. RIP.
I read the fog was bad enough the police choppers were grounded. I also read that radar showed they fell 4000ft in one minute, which would indicate mechanical failure. Also, from the impact site, they hit at high speed, which if just travelling across the city, and hitting the side of a mountain, would not cause such a debris field, and possibly have been survivable. Either way, sad news.

Edit: Upon futher research, it sounds like they were warned that they were too low just before disappearing on radar, and it was a twin engine, so seems more likely they just flew into the mountain side.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-27-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 AM

As a lifelong Celtics fan, I hated the Kobe-Shaq years.

I didn't like Kobe as a person after his scandal came out.

In retrospect though, the battles that the Lakers and Celtics had in the 2000s were some if the best basketball games I'll probably ever see "live" (not as a rerun) in my lifetime. Those games, and Kobe specifically, brought something back to the NBA.

R.I.P. to a true legend, one of the greats of all-time. He brought legitimacy back to the Lakers, helped globalize the game, and did great work in the community.

Also, R.I.P. to his young daughter and everyone else who died in the crash. This is truly a tragedy, regardless of how famous the people were.

Thoughts and prayers to all of the families affected by this.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 01-27-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I read the fog was bad enough the police choppers were grounded. I also read that radar showed they fell 4000ft in one minute, which would indicate mechanical failure. Also, from the impact site, they hit at high speed, which if just travelling across the city, and hitting the side of a mountain, would not cause such a debris field, and possibly have been survivable. Either way, sad news.

Edit: Upon futher research, it sounds like they were warned that they were too low just before disappearing on radar, and it was a twin engine, so seems more likely they just flew into the mountain side.
From what I hear is that they flew into the side of a hill or mountain in heavy fog, there were hundreds of kids waiting for him at mamba's academy for some sort of event, this why other kids and parents were on the flight.

Youngest player at 17 years of age drafted into the NBA scored 81 points in one game ,only Wilt Chamberlain ever scored one game higher in the history of the game, his last game april 14th 2016 he scored 60 points.

Simply the best of the best an icon who over came a scandal at a young age and became one of the best persons any child would want as a father plus a great husband to his wife whom she never would have traded for another and loved by millions of people all over the world for his kindness ,generosity and going full speed ahead to better others in ever way he could, wrote books for children call the wizenard series to inspire young children in life,built an academy for sports for rich or poor children.

Ever sports figure from basket ball to tennis ,hockey ,fooball,you name it will remember yesterday and remember exactly where they were when they heard KOBE died.R.I.P MAMBA.

JD
Old 01-27-2020, 02:40 PM

Its possible he wasnt a rapist but he paid the money and she took it so we will never know.people here talk like he was a family member and we shouldnt embarass the rest of the family or something. They brought up the rape charge on the news now a.o. is more politically correct than mainstream news
Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
No different than if Gretzky and his daughter died at 41. Tragic.
tragic is right but this impacts more globally as the game of basketball is more so than hockey.

http://biggestglobalsports.com/

found this and just wow if we consider world wide sports popularity.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Knock it off for those making this personal. Next shot across bow, thread will be closed with those enjoying a time out for some time. Classless comments by a few and you know who u are
Old 01-27-2020, 04:02 PM

I concur with what Pixel said and my trigger finger is itchy after reading how you are carrying on. I swear some of you are worse than infants.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I concur with what Pixel said and my trigger finger is itchy after reading how you are carrying on. I swear some of you are worse than infants.
Concur as well. I feel this site has improved in recent times, but there are certainly a few bad seeds stirring the pot as of late... Hopefully your finger gets itchier....
Old 01-27-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Concur as well. I feel this site has improved in recent times, but there are certainly a few bad seeds stirring the pot as of late... Hopefully your finger gets itchier....
I have only started to post online fairly recently. I first tried a US site where I was met with insults and obscenities. It took me a while but I decided to try AO. I admit that I am not aware of the proper protocols so please bear with me.

I am asking sincerely, without trying to stir things up, which members are putting themselves in jeopardy and by which posts?

Again, I guess I am just a naif in these matters and would really like some clarification so I don't go over the line.

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I have only started to post online fairly recently. I first tried a US site where I was met with insults and obscenities. It took me a while but I decided to try AO. I admit that I am not aware of the proper protocols so please bear with me.

I am asking sincerely, without trying to stir things up, which members are putting themselves in jeopardy and by which posts?

Again, I guess I am just a naif in these matters and would really like some clarification so I don't go over the line.

Thank you.
Nothing I said was directed towards you.... I think the people getting their jollies, and the moderators know who. The longer you spend on here, you'll sift out the weasels. Like clockwork. Even under different handles, you can pick them out eventually.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thank you.
We deleted the ignorant, stupid, insulting, classless posts so no one has to see them.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 PM

You rarely get to see the posts as they get deleted unless your in real time. Easiest thing is to read the forum rules posted as a sticky at top of each forum.
Pretty simple to abide by

Quote:

Thank you.
Closed Thread