Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
What did snatchfisher fall thru the ice? To call our "world class" well managed walleye factories a shame should surely elicit an immediate response from such a knowledgeable dude. Watch it, he'll tell ya to go back to McDonalds and work the grill. Bahaha.
You can always tell a poster is intelligent when they start with childish name-calling.
This entire post is a ad hominem attack, one of many logical fallacies used by those who are unable to use words to express their position intelligently.

You can read more about it here, mighty pikeman, if you ever care to improve yourself and learn how to communicate like a grown-up.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html
Old 01-17-2020, 11:57 PM

I am hoping to hear back how thick the snow is out there and if vehicles are having a hard time getting around. I understand not too many ventured out in the cold but after this weekend I’m hoping for some feedback. I access the lake at Mulhurst. Hope all goes well for everyone who is getting out.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I am hoping to hear back how thick the snow is out there and if vehicles are having a hard time getting around. I understand not too many ventured out in the cold but after this weekend I’m hoping for some feedback. I access the lake at Mulhurst. Hope all goes well for everyone who is getting out.
Buddy of mine just pulled his camper on the Ice at mulhurst couple days back.... it’s sitting there now about 300 yards out.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 AM

I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing for walleye movement during the day. This year is the absolute slowest ever for sightings on camera I’ve had. I always had good luck at last light as well but for the first time yesterday I didn’t have one show up. I fish the point at Silver beach. If the snow wasn’t so bad I would hit up some different areas. Feedback from others would be welcome.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing for walleye movement during the day. This year is the absolute slowest ever for sightings on camera I’ve had. I always had good luck at last light as well but for the first time yesterday I didn’t have one show up. I fish the point at Silver beach. If the snow wasn’t so bad I would hit up some different areas. Feedback from others would be welcome.
Was out at the PP yesterday afternoon fished 4 lines. Never saw a fish lost one off of a tipup. Fished from 1Pm till well past dark nothing.

BW
Old 01-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Was out at the PP yesterday afternoon fished 4 lines. Never saw a fish lost one off of a tipup. Fished from 1Pm till well past dark nothing.

BW
I never have had luck at the PP area from the middle of December on. Summer it’s crazy but winter is a ghost area.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:10 PM

I find pigeon in the summer is 50 fish days and winter is slow as slow can be.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I never have had luck at the PP area from the middle of December on. Summer it’s crazy but winter is a ghost area.
I’ve not fished it twice. I guess I’m going to have to do some exploring. Three weeks a go I did fairly well in the same area.

BW
Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Took mom and the girlfriend out to that exact spot today on advice from a friend to fill some class C tags with jig heads and minnows. Not a single fish on the camera all day. In 5 hours we had one hit on a tip-up that didn't set the hook.

Snow was fairly heavy and had to tiptoe around snow drifts but never really came close to getting stuck.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:18 PM

It was a slow day for us as well. Ended up with 3 for the 3 hours we were there. Lots coming in and checking things out on the flasher, but not a lot of takers.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-26-2020, 10:45 PM

Haven't fished pigeon in a couple of years but the drop off in front of Grandview has generally been pretty good to me.

Walleye have really short feeding windows in the dead of winter. I don't know how many times I've been on a walleye lake and everyone is heading out while the bite is just beginning. Generally pretty short and nuts for the most part. Fishing is fishing and nothing is 100% gospel but I feel if you aren't packing up well after dark you haven't given yourself the best shot.

If I'm just fishing for walleye and want to avoid a lot of dead time I'll avoid the morning bite, do something more productive with my day and head out in the afternoon. Getting into March I'm more willing to put a full day in. Just my two cents.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Any one out to Pigeon this weekend? Wondering how the snow is, I heard that there was quite a bit after the snowfalls over the past week.

I assume that there is lots of ice now!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltheim View Post
Any one out to Pigeon this weekend? Wondering how the snow is, I heard that there was quite a bit after the snowfalls over the past week.

I assume that there is lots of ice now!

Lots of hard drifts and floodwater in some areas. I took a sled and quad out. A guy drove to where we were with his truck but it looked like there were some tough points when I followed his tracks out.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-27-2020, 02:21 PM

I was at mulhurst Saturday, there is enough snow to get stuck. About 10” of settled snow.

If you have good tires and a good 4x4 you should be fine.

The problem is driving slow or when it warms up and the snow is heavier.

Take a shovel and drive at a steady safe speed

There is about 18” of ice
Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Anyone having any luck fishin the humps lately?
Old 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM

Gonna head out there tomorrow afternoon for the evening light change. Anyone got any tips for fishing out of Mulhurst so I don't get skunked twice in a row? I'd appreciate a PM if you don't wanna share your secrets publicly.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:27 PM

Fished this evening at Silver Beach and for the first time ever out there I got skunked. This has been a weird season. I understand that fish move around but this area always had produced during Jan/Feb. I have had slower days but not a thing on camera or flasher. Not even a bite or trip on the jawjacker. I want to check out some spots that were good but don’t want to get stuck or beat the crap out of the truck. I’m hoping others have had some luck in other parts of the lake. Good luck to everyone that heads out there.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Anyone having any luck fishin the humps lately?
quite a few fishing for a Friday
Old 02-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Default Mulhurst

Out at Mulhurst yesterday - only managed one skinny pike around sundown, no walleye. Would have been a decent sized pike but it looked like it hadn't had a meal in awhile...
Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 AM

Fished Silver Beach on Sat. from 12-6:30, 13 walleye day in the super wind.
22" of ice.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Fished Silver Beach on Sat. from 12-6:30, 13 walleye day in the super wind.
22" of ice.
Good for you. I’m happy you had some luck. Too bad for the crappy weather.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 AM

Grandview has been very poor as of late as well. Hopefully things pick up soon.
Last sunday went to Gull, Sandy Point, 1 walleye all day, seen 2 little perch as well.
Very quiet lately.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 AM

Just wondering if anyone has driven on out of Mulhurst this week and how the snow is? Thanks
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM

Heading out Saturday for my 3rd time ever on Pigeon. First couple of time were over by the PP. My first trip I did ok, seen Walleye and caught Walleye. Then I get my self some undersubscribed class C tags, and nothing. Going to try the Silver Beach side on Saturday.

BW
Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaBear View Post
Just wondering if anyone has driven on out of Mulhurst this week and how the snow is? Thanks
I was out on the weekend and it was a lot better than the week before. The snow is packed down now. You have to work around some of the drifts. If you get into one of the drifts, it takes work to get out.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Perfect, I will make sure the shovel is in the truck. Good Luck
Old 02-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
It was a slow day for us as well. Ended up with 3 for the 3 hours we were there. Lots coming in and checking things out on the flasher, but not a lot of takers.

Love the pic of the kids!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 AM

The walleye sure don't bite much come winter in pigeon.
It really is all about the lack of bait fish in this lake for them to go deep where every one things they are in winter.

Why do they go deep : water temp, and its darker as they do not like sunlight.

What pigeon is missing in this lake is bait fish for them to feed on in deep holes .

I have never heard of the government releasing minnows into our lakes to feed walleye in a catch and release lakes or at the least a lake like pigeon.

I also can not remember seeing any minnows in this lake like it used to be .

To find these walleye one needs to go where the bait is .
My guess, they are shallow beside the weeds just west of the provincial camp grounds.

Good luck and enjoy this weather .

JR
Old 02-09-2020, 10:00 AM

We fished by zeiner yesterday. We got 1 walleye during the day and managed to fill a few tags in the evening; the bite was very slow. Ice was measured at 16'' with some flood water and drifts.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:56 AM

Was out at Silver Beach yesterday and the walleye didn't even show up until an hour after sunset, then filled a couple of tags.