Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 PM

Default Security system upgrade

I presently have a dated ADT system and am looking to upgrade. I'm in the Edmonton area. Any recommendations? I have asked ADT for a quote, and expect to hear from them soon but not sure if I want to go with them or a different company. Given the advances in motion monitoring over the net, is monitoring really required?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 10:38 PM

Telus also offer a security / cameras system . Link to your phone It’s will send video and picture notice Every time someone show up at your door .
Old 01-23-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Telus also offer a security / cameras system . Link to your phone It’s will send video and picture notice Every time someone show up at your door .
It's now a telus/adt joint thing. On that, but checking options. Thanks
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 AM

Ring alarm. Don't waste your money on anything else.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Ring alarm. Don't waste your money on anything else.
What is the resolution of these cameras like? Can you zoom in on license plates? Faces? I'm less concerned about in house footage than the outside footage.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
What is the resolution of these cameras like? Can you zoom in on license plates? Faces? I'm less concerned about in house footage than the outside footage.
I don't have their cameras, as I believe in having multiple points of protection, cameras are seperate from security system. So if one goes down, the other is there. But from what I've seen their cameras are top notch.

I think u have to ask yourself what the point of capturing a covered face or stolen vehicle is?

A security system is basically used for piece of mind and the hopes that the would be thief will move onto someone else's house. By the time anyone can respond to an alarm, it's already to late and your stuff will be gone, yes, even with the Telus/adt monitoring. Ring has monitoring, which is exactly the same as Telus or any other system for 1/5 the cost.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I don't have their cameras, as I believe in having multiple points of protection, cameras are seperate from security system. So if one goes down, the other is there. But from what I've seen their cameras are top notch.

I think u have to ask yourself what the point of capturing a covered face or stolen vehicle is?

A security system is basically used for piece of mind and the hopes that the would be thief will move onto someone else's house. By the time anyone can respond to an alarm, it's already to late and your stuff will be gone, yes, even with the Telus/adt monitoring. Ring has monitoring, which is exactly the same as Telus or any other system for 1/5 the cost.
Exactly

A camera is "after the fact" that MAY get a good picture of the maggot that the police MIGHT find.....

If he/she is dead on your kitchen floor, theres a better chance the police can identify him/her
Old 01-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Exactly

A camera is "after the fact" that MAY get a good picture of the maggot that the police MIGHT find.....

If he/she is dead on your kitchen floor, theres a better chance the police can identify him/her
Way better chance of a positive ID.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM

Yeah, but if we are at work, I at least want a chance of finding my stuff. Also, it may give me an idea if the place is being scouted. There are disadvantages to being rural with no visible neighbors.

The other thing is, if I can see by camera stuff is going on, I can call the police. Or a neighbor, or... But with no camera I can't do that. I have equipment in the yard. Vehicles. Etc. A camera lets me watch.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:56 PM

I see that Telsco in Edmonton advertises Farm and Acreage security systems. I have no idea of the costs, but it says they offer custom solutions.

https://telsco.com/home-security/rural-acreage/
Old 01-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Exactly

Security cams CONFIRM your stuff got stolen
Old 01-26-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Yeah, but if we are at work, I at least want a chance of finding my stuff. Also, it may give me an idea if the place is being scouted. There are disadvantages to being rural with no visible neighbors.

The other thing is, if I can see by camera stuff is going on, I can call the police. Or a neighbor, or... But with no camera I can't do that. I have equipment in the yard. Vehicles. Etc. A camera lets me watch.
Don't get me wrong. I get it. I check mine regularly, but I went with wyze cams and they are cheap, but very highly rated.unfortunately they are wireless and may not work in your situation. I know lots of people with the Costco wired cameras and they're quite happy, but for my situation I can get almost as good of picture. Mine mostly gets used to see if packages get delivered.. lol..
Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 PM

Look into samsung smart things hub with smart devices like the ring doorbell, August smart lock. You can link up various other devices inside or outside the home like motion sensing cameras, door sensors etc...you could even program a motion sensor to turn on ALL LIGHTS when detected and programmed for while you aren't home...with all of the new smart home products the options a limitless.

We have some smart devices like this at our vacation home and we see what's going on while away...I think I spent no more than $500 on a few cameras and 2 door sensors and Samsung Smart things mesh wifi hub system....super easy to set up and you can program however you want from your mobile device.

You could look into a home automation company and see what they have to offer.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:12 PM

People say don't pay a security company because they can do it themselves. You may know that some one is in your residence but what are you going to do about it. Then there are times you have no WiFi service, how do you keep an eye on your home. We have a home security system which includes motion detectors, door sensors, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and security doorbell. If the smoke or carbon monoxide detector go off the fire department is automatically sent out. If the motion detectors or a door sensor should go off then they call and let us make the decision if police are dispatched. If no answer at all, such as we have no cell service they send some one out. We were with Vivinit but switched to Fluent. We have no cameras, yet, but I will put them up separate from the security system as the security companies don't monitor them.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:51 AM

We just have the rogers smart home. We get it bundled with the phone plan. It works for us. Sensors and lockable bars on basement windows. Motion and camera in house it is also tied into smoke detector.
We’re not concerned with break in so much as fire protection for the animals.
As for a deterrent, I’m sure it helps, but as the alarm is waiting for you to disarm it, the 165lb Great dane will also be waiting for your next move, and he won’t be so patient. Lol.

Tullfan