Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Default Does this laker have whirling disease?

photo fast
Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 PM

Default Nope.

Spina bifida.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Lake trout are resistant to Whirling Disease. The disease occurs in juvenile fish and will kill it before it reaches the mature stage that this fish exhibits. Most anglers will never see a diseased fish despite the prevalence of the disease, simply because anglers do not catch juvenile sized fish
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 PM

bring out the gimp! Ive caught pike shaped like this. easier to hang onto

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 PM

This looks like fish Tuberculosis
Old 01-25-2020, 08:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It's a politician....spineless and weak......all species have a few.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-25-2020, 09:05 AM

No char species can contract WD.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Are you sure? This article lists brook trout as one of the most susceptible species - https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/5622...CPOMBCK3xL8uP0
Old 01-25-2020, 12:00 PM

Looks like it's been caught a bunch of times and hand held in that spot. Got a krink in it's back.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Looks like a spray lakes 15 incher. I don’t know why they seem to only get that big. I have never seen a bigger one come out of there.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Looks like a spray lakes 15 incher. I don’t know why they seem to only get that big. I have never seen a bigger one come out of there.
Lots of fish keeps the size down, not enough food for the biomass. Few large trout to prey on the small ones.

This may not be the reason,but it is the case in other species like perch, walleye and pike.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
They are not common and I am talking way less than 1% of the Lakers I have seen come out of Spray but lakers up to 15lbs definitely are in Spray. Most are definitely that 11-18inch size is common and to break 24inch is likely going to be tough

I assume it’s a feed issue but spray hands down has the worst average size for lakers out of all the lakes I have targeted them. Numbers wise though it is really good
Old 01-26-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
They are not common and I am talking way less than 1% of the Lakers I have seen come out of Spray but lakers up to 15lbs definitely are in Spray. Most are definitely that 11-18inch size is common and to break 24inch is likely going to be tough

I assume it’s a feed issue but spray hands down has the worst average size for lakers out of all the lakes I have targeted them. Numbers wise though it is really good
I’m sure there’s big ones in there, it just seems every time I go, or my friends all we catch is 15” lakers. Not bigger, not smaller. 15” on the tape every damn time. It’s just odd to have that many fish of the same size class.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I’m sure there’s big ones in there, it just seems every time I go, or my friends all we catch is 15” lakers. Not bigger, not smaller. 15” on the tape every damn time. It’s just odd to have that many fish of the same size class.
I have always had the 11-18 inch size range as average since I fished it for the first time over 20years ago. It has been a good number of years since I fished it last but according to friends who fish it often they still see the same

I can’t say I have or know anyone who experienced the bang on 15inch average you are but our average is not really a big variation either. I don’t have a realistic answer on why you keep catching only 15 inch fish other than they must like you

Spray is a strange Laker population I am curious if it’s been studied and what the findings are
Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I have always had the 11-18 inch size range as average since I fished it for the first time over 20years ago. It has been a good number of years since I fished it last but according to friends who fish it often they still see the same

I can’t say I have or know anyone who experienced the bang on 15inch average you are but our average is not really a big variation either. I don’t have a realistic answer on why you keep catching only 15 inch fish other than they must like you

Spray is a strange Laker population I am curious if it’s been studied and what the findings are
Quote:
Mountain whitefish are abundant in the reservoir and reproduce successfully in the tributaries, but they do not seem to be preyed upon by lake trout. The mountain whitefish population is largely made up of old fish; 50% of those caught in 1986 were over 10 years old. The oldest one caught was 29 years old; it may be the oldest fish of this species ever caught in North America (Stelfox 1988).
The lack of appropriate prey for lake trout in the reservoir has led them to survive almost exclusively on plankton and midge larvae. Only 2% of 51 fish caught in 1986 had fish in their stomachs. The scarcity of fish in the diet of lake trout is likely one reason why the lake trout in Spray Lakes Reservoir die younger and are smaller at all ages than lake trout in lakes with abundant forage fish such as Lake Minnewanka (Stelfox 1988).
http://albertalakes.ualberta.ca/?pag...ion=4&lake=115
Old 01-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Strange I would have thought they would not hesitate to prey on the whites. I know there is other bait fish in there my kids caught them in dip nets but maybe they are too dumb to eat them too

I have never opened the belly on a spray laker but after reading that I will have to next time to see what it’s eating because now I am curious

Wonder if it would be worth stocking another prey species besides Cisco in hopes of improving the Lakers
Old 01-26-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Strange I would have thought they would not hesitate to prey on the whites. I know there is other bait fish in there my kids caught them in dip nets but maybe they are too dumb to eat them too

I have never opened the belly on a spray laker but after reading that I will have to next time to see what it’s eating because now I am curious

Wonder if it would be worth stocking another prey species besides Cisco in hopes of improving the Lakers
When I first saw the OP picture I thought "Crowsnest Lake". There is similar biology in the two lakes (Crowsnest/Spray Reservoir). The UA study on Crowsnest indicates that fish grow slow in the first 5 years and then take off...I have yet to see with my own eyes a lake trout bigger than 15 inches out of Crowsnest…

Introduced species do not always take well...

Quote:
The 1986 test netting indicated that lake trout in Crowsnest Lake grow very slowly to age five, then rapidly after age five. This is likely due to a shift in prey from midge larvae to mountain whitefish.

Last edited by CNP; 01-26-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
When I first saw the OP picture I thought "Crowsnest Lake". There is similar biology in the two lakes (Crowsnest/Spray Reservoir). The UA study on Crowsnest indicates that fish grow slow in the first 5 years and then take off...I have yet to see with my own eyes a lake trout bigger than 15 inches out of Crowsnest…

Introduces species do not always take well...
Oh well Spray may not produce good size Lakers but still a good fishery numbers wise for people to enjoy
Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM

They should dump a couple million shiners in there or some kind of native baitfish, enough to keep a population in there.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
That's incorrect, as mentioned in this thread, Brookies are Char and it's not uncommon for contraction in this species. It would make me believe that most/many Salmonoids could be potentially infected.

Lake Trout, as far as I know, have not been documented in this province to have a positive result for WD.

And it would be impossible to tell unless you tested it, although if it was swimming in circles that would be a strong indicator. But if it was caught and the only thing observed was the spine - this could be so many other things, many of them not uncommon in fish.

I'd say the OP could/should send the picture to the Bio in the area. At least it's a heads up.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Lake trout are resistant to Whirling Disease. The disease occurs in juvenile fish and will kill it before it reaches the mature stage that this fish exhibits. Most anglers will never see a diseased fish despite the prevalence of the disease, simply because anglers do not catch juvenile sized fish
Just a thought .If you kept it.Why not freeze it.Then take it to F&W.They would auotopsy,be able to tell age,what caused the deformity.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:08 PM

I let the poor little guy go.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Just a thought .If you kept it.Why not freeze it.Then take it to F&W.They would auotopsy,be able to tell age,what caused the deformity.
Just in case you're thinking it was me who caught the fish......it wasn't and I wasn't there and I didn't create the OP

EZM ^^^ gave good advise.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default a good read

https://www.alberta.ca/whirling-disease.aspx

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...