Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default Talking about special treatment

What is Kenney doing? Talk about a party being there for the oil corps and gutting the average Alberta person.

How many have thier jobs back since this guy got power.

He PROMISED jobs and the return to glory...

Anybody???

I hope you farmers STAND UP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...ty-levies/amp/

Last edited by sns2; 01-25-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 PM

It's a tough spot to be in from a government's perspective. So an oil company doesn't pay taxes on a well, pipeline, compressor station, etc. What's the government to do, go after them? They don't have any money. Take the well/pipeline/compressor station? Well, the government doesn't want it, and neither does the oil company. Could always pull an Encana and bail to the US or a Trident and give it all back to the government anyway I suppose.

You don't pay your taxes, well, your property might actually be worth something, so that they'll gladly take.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's a tough spot to be in from a government's perspective. So an oil company doesn't pay taxes on a well, pipeline, compressor station, etc. What's the government to do, go after them? They don't have any money. Take the well/pipeline/compressor station? Well, the government doesn't want it, and neither does the oil company. Could always pull an Encana and bail to the US or a Trident and give it all back to the government anyway I suppose.

You don't pay your taxes, well, your property might actually be worth something, so that they'll gladly take.

How many bloody normal people cant pay thier taxes?? We have zero choice.

Yet it seems these corps can do the ... they choose.

The municipalities are going to have to raise taxes on the people to make up for the these companies not doing thier share.

Gimmie a break.

Last edited by sns2; 01-25-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Welcome to capitalism. Capitalise the profits and socialize the losses.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:54 AM

Not sure how this works...Oil company leases a plot of land from a farmer on which to place a well or other facility. Doesn't the farmer still pay taxes on the land? Does the municipality collect additional taxes from the oil company? If that's the case, and the oil company fails to pay the "extra" tax, the municipality looses out on an "extra" tax levy, right? How is the county loosing out? It's the same as it was before there was an oil well there.
What am I missing?
Old 01-25-2020, 05:34 AM

Break out the yellow vests and and convoys guys....it’s time to organize.

Am I right??...er’no?....

😉
Old 01-25-2020, 06:45 AM

My question, is to whether the leases and assets really are overvalued. If the value of the leases dropped with oil prices, then should the taxes have not been adjusted to reflect the reduced value?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
How many bloody normal people cant pay thier taxes?? We have zero choice.

Yet it seems these corps can do the ... they choose.

The municipalities are going to have to raise taxes on the people to make up for the these companies not doing thier share.

Gimmie a break.
Did you read the part that 40% of the companies that own money are out of business? The other 60% are probably barely keeping their heads above water.

Last edited by sns2; 01-25-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 AM
Suspended User

Missing the Wildrose Party yet? Remembering why they were formed in the first place?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Default warning

There is a swear filter for a reason. You bypass it you get infracted. You get infracted too many times you get a timeout. This is a family forum. Intelligent people can communicate frustration without using the four letter attention getter or abbreviations of it.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
There is a swear filter for a reason. You bypass it you get infracted. You get infracted too many times you get a timeout. This is a family forum. Intelligent people can communicate frustration without using the four letter attention getter or abbreviations of it.
Huh? Who swore?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Not sure how this works...Oil company leases a plot of land from a farmer on which to place a well or other facility. Doesn't the farmer still pay taxes on the land? Does the municipality collect additional taxes from the oil company? If that's the case, and the oil company fails to pay the "extra" tax, the municipality looses out on an "extra" tax levy, right? How is the county loosing out? It's the same as it was before there was an oil well there.
What am I missing?
that is very true . the o/g companies pay for the improvements on the lease ie;wellhead , pump jack , meter buildings , tanks , and then every foot of pipe in the ground . if you or i dont pay our property taxes for a year , the loss would be a few thousand dollars depending where you live . look at the numbers being reported and that will give you an idea how much o/g companies have been paying . the number is huge .
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Huh? Who swore?
Probably was edited out
Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Huh? Who swore?
You answer lies by simply checking posts that have a note at the bottom mentioning they’ve been edited by a mod. Seems that two members had done so.

I find the OP to be trolling though. A lot has been accomplished by Kenny, he’s maintaining a list of their campaign promises that have been accomplished, and it’s a significant percentage. They are luring back investment that was promptly frightened off by Notley and her bloodthirsty horde of economy vandals. There is still the O&G unfriendly nature of the current federal gov’t to deal with, but they’re only partially as stupid as the NDP.

As for Swann, he’d rather tax those companies out of business than revise a tax structure that keeps them afloat and contributing to the economy and providing jobs. Liberals can’t seem to clue in that to collect taxes, the company has to be in business. If the company is legislated to bankruptcy or taxed to a break-even point, they have no incentive to remain in business in the first place. Swann took part in screwing them over with Notley, and he’s still at it despite no longer being elected. Now he’s self-appointed

That being said, I agree these companies should be paying taxes and there should be a better system in place to deal with abandoned wells. Perhaps for any well drilled, there should be a clean-up fee prepaid and legally attached to the well to be kept in trust? Have it dealt with from day one of the wells existence in a fashion that can’t be circumvented.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-25-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 AM

North Dakota requires such a trust-deposit. Their problem is minuscule in per capita comparison.

I dunno why we let these corporations off so easy just cause ‘jobs now’...... how about the long game kids?

Cleanup is a real thing.... you mess, you clean. Simple.

I’m sure wells would be drilled still under this system..... we’d just have way less little ‘get in get out’ outfits.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-25-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
What am I missing?

https://thenarwhal.ca/rural-alberta-...d-we-get-here/

School bus fees are going up 200. annually, partially as a result.

Grizz
Old 01-25-2020, 04:30 PM

I voted for kenney and wish I could nullify my vote.IMO the man is a D-BAG. Look out for your rich buddies just like turdo and screw the average Albertan.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM

Steady as she goes Mr. Kenney. Keep to your course (ignore the Narwhal & CBC chatter), and keep on track.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:50 PM

The NDP continue to make headlines in Alberta about the terrible greedy energy industry when in fact they are doing everything to run this business out of Canada with the Liberals. Maybe they are manipulating the stock markets with their negative media coverage for personal gain to by stock for themselves cheap.
Once it warms up a little here everyone is back at it doing everything possible to kill the energy business in Canada. With investor capital gone no clean up or future projects will happen.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
https://thenarwhal.ca/rural-alberta-...d-we-get-here/

School bus fees are going up 200. annually, partially as a result.

Grizz
"The county “will be looking at a reduction of half a million dollars in our revenue from the oil and gas sector,” Beattie said."

A big number, but in reality, that's less than 1% of their $62M budget.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Kenney has a tough job ahead. I don't envy him one bit.

With the Feds stalling pipelines and calling for carbon taxes and Alberta's last provincial government spending like drunken sailors during one of the worst O&G downturns since the 1980's the economic engine of Alberta is just not the same as it was.

It's going to take several years to get things under control and probably up to 10 years to return this province to it's former glory.

Kenney isn't pandering to the rich IMO. He's trying to staunch the flood of capital leaving for greener pastures that was initiated by the combined mismanagement of the previous provincial government and the federal government.

We will have a reasonable idea how the future is going to play out for Alberta by the end of February.
The federal government will either approve or not the development of the Frontier oilsands project.
If that goes ahead we will see some light at the end of the tunnel. If not it's going to be a tough go all around.

Last edited by Buckhead; 01-25-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:17 PM

People never learn and unreasonably hated Notley. So far I think she did a better job than Kenny
He was lying when he said he would bring the jobs back. He has no power and no leverage to o anthything. And his austerity budget will be resulting in more layoffs in the private sector.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:02 AM

Notley did better than Kenney?
Spend your way out of a deficit?
Impose taxes and rules on your revenue generator?

I don't agree with some of the things that Kenney's doing, but at least he's actually doing the things that a prudent person would do when faced with a climbing debt and limited income......stop spending and find new sources of revenue.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Notley did better than Kenney?
Spend your way out of a deficit?
Impose taxes and rules on your revenue generator?

I don't agree with some of the things that Kenney's doing, but at least he's actually doing the things that a prudent person would do when faced with a climbing debt and limited income......stop spending and find new sources of revenue.
Kenney inherited a mess, Notley did her best to drive investment out of Alberta, and to drive up the debt as much as possible, and now Kenney has the unpopular job of cutting back spending, and trying to attract some investment back into the provinces.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 AM

What many fail to realize that it does not matter who is running Alberta at this time trying to improve the oil/gas industry is going to be extremely tough.

The issues that are impacting Alberta oil/gas are not from within the province so no matter how hard a premier of Alberta tries to improve the industry they have little they can do. The issue is trying to put a pipeline through a neighboring province with an extremely anti oil/gas premier who ran on a platform promising to oppose the project. Then add in our carbon tax pushing, climate change activist, and spineless prime minister.

I don’t think anyone could bargain a solution under these conditions. Kinda difficult to get things accomplished when you are stuck trying to work with those who are strongly in opposition to what you stand for. Basically getting beat down by your own country

Only thing with Kenny is I think he talked a big talk betting on a Federal Con win and now that it did not go as planned he is in a tough spot. His big talk definitely does not help now that he is dealing with complete opposition instead of a powerful alliance with federal government

I don’t think there is a single person that could stand as premier of Alberta and improve the oil/gas industry under these conditions
Old 01-26-2020, 07:41 AM

Give Kenny a bit more time.
All we need is some more good jobs and everything else will work out. When people are working more money goes to the government to pay there bills.

“Welcome to capitalism. Capitalise the profits and socialize the losses”
Lol.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Encana didn’t really “bail out” of Canada. They just restructured the company to HQ in the US and changed their name. They still have operations in Canada and spend billions in Canada.

I don’t like Kenney. I think he’s a slime ball. But I like the direction his government is going, and the ideas they are coming up with. As a younger person, we need to get our debt under control. I don’t want to be paying interest on the provinces debt for years to come. We need fiscal restraint.

What do you do in your house when your income drops? Keep spending as is and max the credit cards out, or reduce spending to necessities?

Last edited by DiabeticKripple; 01-26-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
People never learn and unreasonably hated Notley. So far I think she did a better job than Kenny
He was lying when he said he would bring the jobs back. He has no power and no leverage to o anthything. And his austerity budget will be resulting in more layoffs in the private sector.
Wow. I think no hate for Notley is unreasonable, I can’t imagine how many people lost their livelihoods at her hands, and how many took their own lives from her having driven them to financial ruin by changing the rules and driving away their job opportunities. The NDP claimed to have created jobs, but they never mentioned the bulk of new positions under their tenure were on the public payroll. That’s not real job growth, that’s just increasing everyone’s tax burden.

Do you think her purchase of thousands of rail cars owned by the province to transport bitumen was smart? Was her hiring of 42,000 plus new provincial (read government union employees smart? We were getting by rather well without those 42,000 additional staff on the taxpayers payroll beforehand, why the spending spree there? How about her stacking of the provincial energy board with avowed O&G protesters such as Tzeporah Berman and others? That’s like having Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby co-running a school for young actresses, rape is the only outcome.

I’d sooner see Notley at a gallows than at a podium, that woman utterly ruined many, many lives by sabotaging their occupations to build her socialist empire.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM

I agree Kenny is a "slime ball" he reduced corporate tax on rich oil companies by $billions$$, and payed $1 Billion to cancel rail cars to ship oil. Oil companies "Do Not" come to Alberta because of a tax rate, they come and drill or develop Oilsands mines because they can make $$, tax is none issue.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Wow. I think no hate for Notley is unreasonable, I can’t imagine how many people lost their livelihoods at her hands, and how many took their own lives from her having driven them to financial ruin by changing the rules and driving away their job opportunities. The NDP claimed to have created jobs, but they never mentioned the bulk of new positions under their tenure were on the public payroll. That’s not real job growth, that’s just increasing everyone’s tax burden.

Do you think her purchase of thousands of rail cars owned by the province to transport bitumen was smart? Was her hiring of 42,000 plus new provincial (read government union employees smart? We were getting by rather well without those 42,000 additional staff on the taxpayers payroll beforehand, why the spending spree there? How about her stacking of the provincial energy board with avowed O&G protesters such as Tzeporah Berman and others? That’s like having Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby co-running a school for young actresses, rape is the only outcome.

I’d sooner see Notley at a gallows than at a podium, that woman utterly ruined many, many lives by sabotaging their occupations to build her socialist empire.

I wish there was golf clap button..... very well said.