Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Default WMU 432 access?

So thought I was going to get a chance to go sheep hunting today in 418 with a friend of mine. Things changed and he can't go until tomorrow. So even though 418 is a Sunday zone the weather doesn't look like it will be pushing sheep out of the park and therefore I started to take a look at 432. However I can't seem to locate any roads that will take you into the area. The closest I can see is a trail that heads north off of the 93 and goes along the west side of Obstruction Mountain.

Got some nice pictures of the area from google and my mapsource gives a nice idea of the valleys that might hold some game. But short of a 12 hour hike how do you get in there?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:00 AM

Cordur,
There are 4 ways into 432.
1. Leave Hwy. #11 at the Cline R. bridge and go up Coral Ck. The horse trail crosses Coral Ck. many times (20+). The only sheep are in draws along the west side of the valley.
2. There is a pass (steep for horses) from the west side of The creek north of the waste transfer site (North side of Hwy. #11, east of the David Thompson Resort) into Coral Ck. from the east side. Long hard hike.
3. Go up the trunk road from Nordegg to the Blackstone campground and then drive west too Blackstone Gap. Hike up the north side of the Blackstone R. and then north down Opabin Ck. to the Brazeau R. and then west into Job. Ck. A long day's hike!
4. Go north on the trunk road to Brown Ck. then west on well roads to the Marshybank L. area, then there are a couple old seismic lines you can quad west on untill you get to the mouth of Job. Ck. on the south bannk of the Brazeau. These are very tough quad trails (steep hill, several muskeg streches) so allow at least one day for the quad trip - each way.

I have hunted sheep and grizzly in there. I have a moose licence for 432 this year (had a brain fart, when I wrote in the WMU #) that I do not intend to use. You pretty well need equines and several days to hunt this WMU. The sheep hunting is pretty good but other ungulates would be a poor bet.