Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 02:41 PM

Default Fawcett lake?

One of my all time favorite lakes used to be Fawcett. We used to catch many walleye and big perch from there. Also some huge pike, 20 lbs +. Haven't fished it in over 20 years though. Is it still a good fishing lake?
Old 03-08-2022, 06:17 AM

Ya that lake brings back memories with dad also haven’t fished it in years
Old 03-08-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Ya that lake brings back memories with dad also haven’t fished it in years
Same here, about the time my dad and I almost flipped the boat getting stuck on the other side of the lake when a massive storm hit crazy fast lol.

That lake has a beautiful campground, used to be great fishing too, not sure about now though.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:30 PM

The bios screwed it up like usual. There was a really strong couple year classes of walleye, as the fish grew they changed the limit from 43 to 50 to tags to “protect them”

Guess what, no more perch, bunch of scrawny stunted eyes that you can’t keep.

Used to catch plenty of walleye, and some big perch attacking spinners and jigs, was a great lake. Was.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:06 PM

Default Fawcett lake

What a shame, it used to be such a great lake. I loved fishing there. We used to hammer the walleyes right at dark around the island by the resort. Caught them through the ice n 3’ of water.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:09 PM

Ya the tap has run dry at Fawcett...always enjoyed fishing and camping there.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:15 PM

Default Fawcett lake

So what do you think is the cause. Overfishing, poor management, or something environmental?
Old 03-11-2022, 01:03 PM
Banned

Default Fawcett Lake

Fawcett Lake WAS a beautiful place to visit and the fishing was
great. Sadly though like most of the lakes in Alberta the government and real estate development have caused a huge decline. Still a lovely place to visit, but the big pike and perch are gone. Silly walleye management have screwed angling up totally. Lovely islands to visit for picnic and hiking. Memories of navigating up the Mink River catching all kinds of amazing fish.
All gone now, f--k! Loved the good ole days on the water, no cams, no sonar, fish finders. Fishing was fun then..
Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 PM

Default Fawcett lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbert View Post
Fawcett Lake WAS a beautiful place to visit and the fishing was
great. Sadly though like most of the lakes in Alberta the government and real estate development have caused a huge decline. Still a lovely place to visit, but the big pike and perch are gone. Silly walleye management have screwed angling up totally. Lovely islands to visit for picnic and hiking. Memories of navigating up the Mink River catching all kinds of amazing fish.
All gone now, f--k! Loved the good ole days on the water, no cams, no sonar, fish finders. Fishing was fun then..
I totally agree. What a shame.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:24 AM

Used to be right up there with the best lakes in Alberta. We caught several jack over 20lbs over the years and a few real good perch. Used to catch less numbers of walleye but seemed to be better size.
Now it’s rare to catch a jack over 10lbs and lots of small skinny walleye. I still spend a few days each summer. There are a couple nice hidden sand beaches my kids love to hang out on.