Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Vortex diamondback hp 4-16x42 bdc

What do you guys think of this scope I'm looking at probably getting this. I'm thinking of waiting till it goes on sale. I'm not sure if this scope is being discontinued or something because ive looked online everywhere and not too many places have this scope, except one of my local shops. Does anyone know if its becoming discontinued because I know there was just a sale on it at Cabelas but they didn't have it in the BDC retical. So i'm debating on just buying the scope now instead of waiting just in case I can no longer get it. Going to be using it for coyotes on my Weatherby vanguard.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM

I have the same scope. 2 of them actually. I also had a regular diamondback and found it to be junk but the HP is a nice scope.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM

My old man recently purchased one for his new rifle, he has had problems with it fogging up on him in conditions that it should not have been. So he switched back to Leopold. That together with this youtube video ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJ-3NH8JM ) is why i did not go for vortex on my recent purchase.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:28 PM

I believe that if you are going to purchase a vortex a person should not buy anything below the viper line.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Is it still a good scope for its price i dont know if i want to spend another 250$ on the viper hs 4-16x44. Are the 2 really any different?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 PM

To be as clear as I can be. They are crap with a very high failure rate. Do not use them on any gun you need to rely on. If you search guns and ammo there are a ton of threads on Vortex and the problems people have had with them. The top line are as much money as a Zeiss or Leupold and have a failure rate 7x higher. The lower lines are even worse. For the money you want to spend go Nikon, Weaver or Redfield.

Here are just two recent ones. You decide.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=vortex

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=vortex