Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
hahhahahahahahaha...Gonna have to start calling HorseTrader..Santa Clause

We have been in discussion about ice conditions.
Even though the kids will bring their own lawn chairs, if the wind is high we may end up chasing lawn chairs to regina.
If the ice is super slick we will have the kids wear a helmet of some sorts as they all have a helmet wether it be hockey or bike.

But we have decided that a piece of carpet will provide a safe kneeling or sitting option if wind or slick conditions are present. WITH NO ENVIROMENTAL DAMAGE

HorseTrader will Bring a roll of new carpet FROM EDMONTON that if required will have the Team carve up into pieces

THANKS SANTA......CAN I HAVE A HELICOPTER TOO?
Yes Chubb you have been a good boy this year.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Well i might as well give the critics a head start.

Yes ive purchased some goods now but im accepting more of the same goods from generous donators, that ive spoken to. WHY? because im still not sure what 105 young people and all the adults can comsume in the wide open outdoors. Chubb just doesnt want to say...Sorry we are out of hot choclate or sorry we are out of Bait. I'd rather hear from the critics on my mismanagement than see a sad kids face.

In the event some goods are in surplus after the event would anyone mind if we divided it up and sent it home with the clubs? Im sure they can use it at their Clubhouses for good use.

In the case of smelt there is now way to estimate whats needed. If there is surplus can it go home with the Fishing Team?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Yes Chubb you have been a good boy this year.

actually ive been really good, is she my pilot...lol
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe, if its not a huge problem you could bring them, im down there often but its when your shop is probably closed.

Either way, what ever works best for you. If your open on saturdays i will definetly visit you.

Thank you for the kind donation to the event
Chub, I can be there anytime you need to get them.
Just call the shop 403-485-6872
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well i might as well give the critics a head start.

Yes ive purchased some goods now but im accepting more of the same goods from generous donators, that ive spoken to. WHY? because im still not sure what 105 young people and all the adults can comsume in the wide open outdoors. Chubb just doesnt want to say...Sorry we are out of hot choclate or sorry we are out of Bait. I'd rather hear from the critics on my mismanagement than see a sad kids face.

In the event some goods are in surplus after the event would anyone mind if we divided it up and sent it home with the clubs? Im sure they can use it at their Clubhouses for good use.

In the case of smelt there is now way to estimate whats needed. If there is surplus can it go home with the Fishing Team?
I think that sounds like your managing things good better a little to much then to spoil the day with too little.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I think that sounds like your managing things good better a little to much then to spoil the day with too little.
X2

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Terry, don't worry about the hot chocolate. If we come even 1/2 way close to running out, I will run home to Claresholm and get as much as we need from the local shops. My treat. Give me the butchers name and number in Nanton and I will buy another box of smelts. Don't worry about the small stuff bud, you have a great team backing you up and this will be the coolest thing happening for many of us.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM

I would agree with your thoughts chubb,

Divide the leftovers up with the kids clubs, however they see fit. After all, any deal we got on the supplies were for the kids

As far as smelts go, I don't think the kids will want to take a bag of stinky smelts home to mom, I'd say once the kids are gone (some might take a bag for fishing, who knows?) divy it up amongst the volunteers, and lets keep the day going strong with a burbot contest
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
Terry, don't worry about the hot chocolate. If we come even 1/2 way close to running out, I will run home to Claresholm and get as much as we need from the local shops. My treat. Give me the butchers name and number in Nanton and I will buy another box of smelts. Don't worry about the small stuff bud, you have a great team backing you up and this will be the coolest thing happening for many of us.
I'll bring a couple of tubs of hot chocolate for god sakes, that's no problem... I find alot of kids like hot ice tea too, i'll pick some up.

Still have to find my coffee press... me without coffee for a day? Someone will be shoving me down an 8" hole
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post

Thanks plinker, i appreciate it.
I dont mean to sound like a cry baby bed wetter but its my job to worry about everything. This isnt my first rodeo but ive sure learned alot of new things this time around......I will reveal ALL at the after event barbque.

Thanks for all your help
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Thank You SHIMANO CANADA

ALSO THANKS TO HOGSLAYER
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

If you have questions or concerns about the event organization or coordination, please direct your attention to me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Perhaps some clarity of this event is required for all to understand why this event will take place as there seems to be a degree of frustration from several people as to the regulations and restrictions which are integrated into this event.

This is not an Alberta Outdoorsmen Event. It is facilitated by the Boys & Girls Club with the assistance of many outstanding volunteers from the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum, along with many other additional volunteers.

The event which will take place on February 25, 2012 is for children who belong to the Boys & Girls Club. The mission of the Boys & Girls Club is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life. The Boys & Girls Club speaks out on behalf of children, youth and their families to reduce disadvantage, enhance their lives and enable their voices and ideas to be heard. We as volunteers are working with the Boys & Girls Club to enable this event to take place.

Volunteers and Forum members are not permitted to bring theirs or other children to participate in the event, unless they are registered members of the Boys & Girls Club and have arranged with the club to participate.

All children will be arriving and departing on buses provided by the Boys & Girls Club.

Registered Boys & Girls Club Mentors will be on site to ensure the safety of the children during the event.

All volunteers are registered, and will be easily identifiable with ball caps and identification tabs hung from lanyards.

WE ASK FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION THAT THIS EVENT IS FOR CHILDREN WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE BOYS & GIRLS CLUB.

Questions and/or criticisms of the event and event coordinators can be directed to The Fisherman Guy via PM. I will gladly speak with anyone who has concerns regarding the event, or how the event is coordinated. I will take these concerns up with the other coordinators and we will address each issue and deliver a positive solution.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Just an idea for volunteers - as a group, should we have a potluck after the event has concluded? For those of us who wish to remain on the ice for a few hours? Thoughts? This is not involved in the event, more so our celebration following.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Slivers86, we need to keep this event focused on the main intent; to provide a day of ice fishing for children of the Boys & Girls Club. We do not want to get sidetracked into too many things at once, at risk of detracting from the children’s experience on the ice. That would be considered a failure of our main goal. This might just be another day on the ice for many of us, but this will most likely be the first ice fishing trip for many of these young folks. The potential is increased for them to have a bad experience their first time out the more we attempt to tackle.

This event is for the kids. I suggest an alternate date for an event like a pot luck or a breakfast for the volunteers or other forum members to attend and get together.

Let’s stick to our agenda, and execute appropriately so that we introduce this sport to over a hundred children in the best manner possible, by eliminating potentials for failure.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
............we need to keep this event focused on the main intent; to provide a day of ice fishing for children of the Boys & Girls Club. We do not want to get sidetracked into too many things at once, at risk of detracting from the children’s experience on the ice. That would be considered a failure of our main goal. This might just be another day on the ice for many of us, but this will most likely be the first ice fishing trip for many of these young folks. The potential is increased for them to have a bad experience their first time out the more we attempt to tackle.

This event is for the kids. ............

Let’s stick to our agenda, and execute appropriately so that we introduce this sport to over a hundred children in the best manner possible, by eliminating potentials for failure.

I'll second the motion.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I'll second the motion.
True, but I for one will be hanging out afterwards to do some fishing of my own. probably exhausted and happy. Should be an awesome day for all.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM

I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea that TFG is the BAD GUY or Dream Killer.

I ask that everyone understands that even though is appears like a simple event to organize its far from that from where im sitting.

Every reinvention of the wheel or addition to the event , is not a simple process. Im responsible for bringing everyone together and its not as simple as to say...."okay everyone do as you want you no longer fall under my umbrella of Permits and legalities" There will be no definite time of interuption. Every new action opens up the horrid questions of reaction and resulting responsibilities. There is no chance of showing interuption if ideas are purposed in this thread that extends times past my umbrella of legalities and permits.
Some additions may require the re application of Permits due to the purposed original agendas.
Its the first year and im proud of the Team assembled. Im gratefull to all sponsors. If what we have planned goes off well...its been a huge success and new ideas can be purposed for the second annual.

Yes it appears like all we have done is canvass for some wieners and its a event on auto pilot. Im not asking for sympathy, ive created this event and i am and was fully aware of the technicallities.....but i do ask that we stay focused on the goal line as we are in the Red Zone now.

NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT EACH AND EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THE EVENT. I THANK YOU ALL.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM

THANK YOU.... JIMS JIGS, YOU TRUELY STEPPED UP AND ANSWERED THE BELL FOR THE EVENT

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I will start soon on winding the line onto the outfits(110) and debarbing the hooks before tying them on.
I have confided with WC and its been decided each outfit will get 60 feet of line. More will just open up the potential for other issues.. With all things considered preparing for a huge pike seems unreasonable at best.

Should steel leaders be added?
The line will be 8lb Suffix promix on a teho 90 ice outfit.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM

I was just updated by Daceminnow that him and his family have completed the 40 pvc measuring devices for our participation in data collection for SRD.

Dace supplied the materials and labour of many nights to provide this huge contribution.

Thanks Snowshoe and Family, your a trusted friend and youve gone above and beyond.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I will start soon on winding the line onto the outfits(110) and debarbing the hooks before tying them on.
I have confided with WC and its been decided each outfit will get 60 feet of line. More will just open up the potential for other issues.. With all things considered preparing for a huge pike seems unreasonable at best.

Should steel leaders be added?
The line will be 8lb Suffix promix on a teho 90 ice outfit.
I wouldnt worry about steel leaders, most times Ive fished PCR Ive used 4 pound test mono and only had one unfortunate(fortunate) incident.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I wouldnt worry about steel leaders, most times Ive fished PCR Ive used 4 pound test mono and only had one unfortunate(fortunate) incident.
Thanks WC....and thanks for all the info via texts and emails, youve been a fast track of valuble info.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM

a mere drop in the bucket compared to you and others hard work, and its very much appreciated.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
a mere drop in the bucket compared to you and others hard work, and its very much appreciated.

Your being way to modest, your like my secret service agent. Be disasterous if i had put on 3o feet of line and the water where we are fishing is 35 feet.......hahhahahhahahahahahha......i can hear the chant now....KILL CHUBB KILL CHUBB KILL CHUBB
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Im just hoping its not one of those days where the fish shut right down, you might hear the same chant!! maybe someone who has a remote control submarine can bring it down just in case, at least set off a tip up here and there! Watch the kids run for the flags almost as fast as when I tripped TFG's tipup after his Christmas party!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM

I have recieved numerous very generous offers from people to bring possible back-ups for the event. This is a great idea incase we do run out of anything and if not needed it can go home with you. NO MATTER HOW MANY OF THESE EVENT ANYONE HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN ITS TOUGH ESTIMATING CONSUMPTION OF FOOD AND DRINK AND RELATED GOODS.

One thing i do request, is much of it will be self serve......therefore i ask all items are individually packed.....e.g. i dont want a open container of Hot Chocolate powder that may be sneezed on or may contain a wet spoon.

Thanks everyone, im very grateful for the offers.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks to my Warden for help
The 105 kids ice fishing outfits are ready. Line on, jigs on and jugs debarbed. I admit quality control on my part might have slipped a bit a outfit 33, so thats a warning,,,,,,,,ALL FISHING TEAM MEMBERS CHECK THE KNOTS AND THE DEBARBING.

DACEMINNOW, also dropped by and delivered the Data Collection PVC measuring boards. Dace and family donated all the materials and contruction of 40 of these devices needed in our participation with SRD. Thanks DACE, this is a huge contribution.

We are getting closer to doing this......lol
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Also to comply.
I have spoken to NHO and in turn he has spoken to his Wife. She is properly trained to be our Health Rover for the event.

She will visually see that everyone appears in good health and will make regular visits to all the tents to check air quality.

Once again HorseTrader/Santa Clause has helped the event by supplying the CO tester.

THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS......

Because any event is always 10 seconds from organized chaos with a skinny line to cross. There will be 4 people appointed with radios that will be easily identified. These 4 people will be well versed in our legal comitments and obligations. I dont expect many troubles if any but with any change or reinvention of the standard plan comes resulting possible legalities.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM

I would be interested in buying 1 of those measureing devices after the event. Might be a way to raise some money.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
I would be interested in buying 1 of those measureing devices after the event. Might be a way to raise some money.
I will answer after event...thanks