Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 AM

My thoughts are as we get older should probably avoid hunting alone or hunting too far from camp. We older guys are at higher risk for a health event, especially if we are on a number of critical meds. Now I also need to quit getting sled stuck 10 miles from cabin on trapline.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:53 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I like using the SPOT, going to upgrade to an inReach in the next few years.

I check in with the Mrs. around the same time everyday, I have set times of when I'm coming in and out.

I know this may not work for everyone, but I usually try and befriend someone at the trail-head if I see anyone there.

It works well for both of us to exchange some info, that way if something goes wrong there is someone closer then search and rescue. I've met a lot of really cool folks this way.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM

Just a question, now that oil companies all over trapline with their medivacs parked on most roads, would they respond to a SPOT signal in your emergency area.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Probably not, the signal is picked up by a spot call center in Texas. They in turn contact appropriate response people that would respond in the area your in. They will maintain an open line of communication with your primary contact until responders have a hand on you.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:22 PM

my first thought is I would like to be found and not have to die badly in the bush. My second thought, very close to #1, is that my loved ones and friends can have peace of mind and if something not nice should happen, I could be found quickly and not burden them with a tough search. Plan to be able to spend a few nights in crappy conditions and leave a detailed travel plan and/or have a beacon that works.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Very similar to me.

- Let my significant other know when I will be back and when to call the cavalry. I text her the google earth location of area before I leave.

- All the basic survival gear, ensuring that I have this in my pack when away from camp, separated from my primary shelter and sleeping bag.

- Fire starter, headlamp, foil blanket, etc... the big one is a lightweight pruning saw. I do not want to be messing around if I need to build a fire or shelter. I also sleep in a bivy bag with tarp at camp, so my improvised shelter would be something I have more-or-less built many times before.

- I carry a compass and use it when hiking through bush and just check my phone gps periodically. That way if the battery dies I am already pretty aware of my location/orientation.

- Always have some energy bars, water purification tabs, and a 3-4 days of my meds and some tylenol.

- Extra wooly socks, rain pants, gore-tex jacket, toque, mitts, and insulated layers appropriate for season. I find hunting I so not need tons of extra clothes as I am already dressed to sit for hours in the early morning/evening.

- I have a blaze rain pack cover to mark stashed camp supplies or myself. Fox-40 whistle, food bag is blaze. I have one of those tiny, little strobe bike lights.

- Carry bear spray for the day and bear bangers to use if something goes down at night. Also, got a rifle.

- Finally, I just take it easy. Slow pace, heavier boots than required, minimal scrambling around, change layers often, etc...

This list looks really big... but my pack is pretty light and compact.
Great summary!!
we've added an airhorn to our arsenal as well as a whistle.
A friend found an alarm in the US where there is a trip wire you extend around your camp, when it is tripped there is a very loud alarm that goes off. I think he paid $100US for it
Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Ocean signal

I would recommend the ocean signal PLB1. No subscription and much better satellite network and functioning than Garmin. It has only S.O.S and no text function. Faster rescue response. Other than that I tell my wife the general area I will be. I take enough supplies to handle whatever I can think of as a possibility.
-What if me and my pack fall in water (emergency items water tight)
-What if I am unable to move (PLB1)
-Stuck in pitch black with dead GPS (backup compass)
-Stop before exhaustion sets in.
-First aid for possible injury or animal attack (tourniquet?)
etc.

And of course the basics
-Knife, fire, shelter, emergency bivi, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OS-rescueME-PLB-feature-image-03-300x300.jpg (23.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:28 PM

-When I used to go bushwhacking into unknown areas I would carry a spool of Jetline string in my pack too. It was almost like dental floss but had a very high tensile breaking strength. The Small and lightweight. 2000 feet and 100 lb. breaking strength in a small 2"x5" 'spool'. The string fed out of the inside of the spool. Not sure where to get such string now. I used to carry a spool of string and if I was breaking trail through the unknown bush or if I had to track a shot animal off the trail I would let out the string to the animal and then be able to follow the string back to the trail. Handy when hunting last light. I'd just retrieve the string after. I would put a few lengths of string out in certain places just for a reference points too. Nowadays there is orange fishing line. Carry a 300 yard spool of 30 to 50 lb fishing line. Useful in a few ways. Spiderwire or any kind of orange colored braided fishing line.

This is what I carry, when you pull it tight it pulls tight , then when you relax it looks fuzzy fluffs up, I carry hot pink fuzzy nylon, use it when I need to, here is a link to the stuff

https://www.amazon.ca/Wooly-Nylon-Th.../dp/B0027DPZ1M

1000 meters goes a long way
Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Only problem with string idea is when you track elk for 10 miles, will take one hell of a ball of string! Compass reading back to nearest road works.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Default Orange FTW

I like to wear orange! As much as I would rather be camo'd in place. I would prefer to be seen and known rather then looking like something else.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Only problem with string idea is when you track elk for 10 miles, will take one hell of a ball of string! Compass reading back to nearest road works.

Maybe not much of a problem. A roll of chaining string holds 2700 yards of string and only costs about $3.50 a roll.
I used to carry ten rolls in my cruisers vest back poach. (like a small back pack.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...ement%20Thread

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-11-2019, 06:04 PM

I often get made fun of for the amount of stuff I carry in my pack, even on easy day stuff.....but if I break something I’m good for a few days. It’s a nice feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but here goes anyways... I'm good at what I do, and I go as well prepared as practical. If things go south, I'll deal with it, that's what I do. If they go really south... well, I'll just die I suppose.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM

How do I stay safe when hunting alone ?

I bring a rifle...