Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeham View Post
My 232 buck came back positive today

Friend’s 234 wt buck came back positive last week.

Friend’s father’s 234 mule doe was positive two weeks ago.

Not looking good out there.
Anyone want a whole lot of delicious smokies, wrapped roasts, and honey garlic pepperoni sticks? Made by Beekmans...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Both my 2017 and 2018 mulie bucks from 234 came back positive. Beautiful typical 4x4s. No fat on them when skinned out, Just a gross pink layer in its place. It’s a hard reality that we will most likely not hunt that wmu this coming season. It’s where my family farm is and where I’ve spent most of my life hunting.

Still waiting for CFB Wainwright results to start coming in.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM

Submitted Nov 17th and still haven't heard back.

Going to be making a phone call soon if I don't hear something soon!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Submitted end of November, 232, and I'm also still waiting.

It was my first ever Mule Deer, and it was taken with a bow. The best part is my 1oyr old son and I did a stalk on him from 500+ yards down to 40 yards, and he walked 10 yards closer towards us as we were crouched down in a field. It was incredible experience. At this point I whispered to my son, "ok, this is it". I stood up and took the shot. He immediately said to me "Dad, its a good shot. its a good shot"! We tracked him and he got to witness his first archery animal up close and personal. We cant wait to do it again next year.

It was probably one of if not the single best day of hunting in my short 3 years. If my buck comes back positive, it will really put a damper on next years plans.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Anyone want a whole lot of delicious smokies, wrapped roasts, and honey garlic pepperoni sticks? Made by Beekmans...
So am I reading you took meat you weren't sure of to a butcher shop to make sausage and such ?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
So am I reading you took meat you weren't sure of to a butcher shop to make sausage and such ?
This brings up a very interesting topic and discussion as well as a province wide problem!
Say a guy takes his meat to the butcher prior to getting results ! we all know a butcher blends many animals into batch of product, now this batch of product gets distributed to many others for consumption , is this a legal matter now ?
What would the outcome be and what should be done to prevent this from occurring ?
I for one have my meat in semi process mode and marked as such in a separate freezer <I will not eat or process fully until given the green light and if I did ever use a butcher ,it wouldn't be seeing this meat until a green light has been given .
Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM

She’s here to stay boys. If you ain’t going to eat it. Don’t shoot it.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Really? You can have my tested positive mule deer, cut and wrapped...I ain’t eating it.

LC
Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Really? You can have my tested positive mule deer, cut and wrapped...I ain’t eating it.

LC
The don’t shoot it ol son
Old 01-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The don’t shoot it ol son
If I knew beforehand...which you can’t know, I wouldn’t have. I did the old mature buck a favor.

Offer still stands, when do you want to come pick up the CWD meat?

LC
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM

Unless the hunter is lying, wouldn’t there be some onus on the butcher when he takes meat in to confirm that if it’s from a CWD WMU that it has been cleared. If a butcher readily knows that the meat he is processing is from a WMU with CWD stipulations, wouldn’t it be in his best interest to have proof?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:51 PM

Brings up an interesting question. Guys shooting sup does on the east side of province knowing damn well there is a 50% plus CWD rate.

Guys going back to the same spot year after year after shooting another CWD positive buck with their bow. Either eat it. Or head up to the peace country for a few years before it works it’s way up there.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
If I knew beforehand...which you can’t know, I wouldn’t have. I did the old mature buck a favor.

Offer still stands, when do you want to come pick up the CWD meat?

LC
You having reading issues again? If your not going to eat it quit heading out to Clint’s to shoot one. Never said I wanted it.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Unless the hunter is lying, wouldn’t there be some onus on the butcher when he takes meat in to confirm that if it’s from a CWD WMU that it has been cleared. If a butcher readily knows that the meat he is processing is from a WMU with CWD stipulations, wouldn’t it be in his best interest to have proof?
We process our own meat, nothing gets ground up through our equipment until a negative test is returned.

LC
Old 01-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This brings up a very interesting topic and discussion as well as a province wide problem!
Say a guy takes his meat to the butcher prior to getting results ! we all know a butcher blends many animals into batch of product, now this batch of product gets distributed to many others for consumption , is this a legal matter now ?
What would the outcome be and what should be done to prevent this from occurring ?
I for one have my meat in semi process mode and marked as such in a separate freezer <I will not eat or process fully until given the green light and if I did ever use a butcher ,it wouldn't be seeing this meat until a green light has been given .
Yes, very interesting. I for one just got the green light for my Whitetail buck yesterday. As for legalities, I don't think the hunter or the butcher shop are under any legal obligation at this point to take any measures to ensure there is no CWD cross contamination. The Center for Disease Control and Alberta Environment and Parks, among others, only recommend not consuming it. Regardless, I would not use a butcher because I would not want to possibly contaminate my venison or someone else's.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You having reading issues again? If your not going to eat it quit heading out to Clint’s to shoot one. Never said I wanted it.
I believe you need to think this through a little. Taking CWD positive animals out of the population is a very good thing. Absolutely NO downside to it at all. Eat it or not is a personal choice but the less infected deer the better.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I believe you need to think this through a little. Taking CWD positive animals out of the population is a very good thing. Absolutely NO downside to it at all. Eat it or not is a personal choice but the less infected deer the better.
It’s an unstoppable tidal wave.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:23 PM

We can always hope!

https://www.folio.ca/scientists-unea...sting-disease/
Old 01-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Clint’s? I have a buddy named Clint but this deer wasn’t taken within 200 miles from his place. Lol...must mistake me for someone else. No issue reading, you can eat your CWD meat if you do choose, if given the option I am not eating it. If you found out your deer had TB you would eat that too I suppose? Or if your bear had trichinosis? I can’t knowingly eat it or feed it to my friends and family...that’s my choice to make.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-30-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Cwd

For some good information on CWD Google:

The Challenge of CWD Insidious and Dire
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Exactly...

LC
Old 01-30-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You are certainly allowed to have your own opinions of what to do with the meat of anything you shoot. And not a single person is saying otherwise.

It’s you who seems to think you can tell everyone what to do... that’s the problem here. Maybe check yourself?
Old 01-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Clint’s? I have a buddy named Clint but this deer wasn’t taken within 200 miles from his place. Lol...must mistake me for someone else. No issue reading, you can eat your CWD meat if you do choose, if given the option I am not eating it. If you found out your deer had TB you would eat that too I suppose? Or if your bear had trichinosis? I can’t knowingly eat it or feed it to my friends and family...that’s my choice to make.

LC
All bear meat is considered to have trich thus the well done cooking <
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
in my opinion I think this is quite irresponsible could contaminate the butcher's Equipment Plus mixing with other people's meet I don't think any of this meat should be processed until the results come back like I said in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
in my opinion I think this is quite irresponsible could contaminate the butcher's Equipment Plus mixing with other people's meet I don't think any of this meat should be processed until the results come back like I said in my opinion.
interesting thought but i don't buy it It is a personal choice process it now or later .The butcher still gets paid .

Quote:
Plus mixing with other people's meet
Who The heck dose that I wouldn't go there .
Old 01-30-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
It’s a tough one, some guys do not know how to process or debone their game. Butchers don’t have freezer or cooler space to store meat waiting on results. There has been little to no direction offered or given by the regulating bodies on how to keep people safe from processing cross contamination. I can see more and more processors refusing to cut wild game. We devide cut wrap label and separate all animals we have tested, get a positive it gets tossed.

LC
Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It’s a tough one, some guys do not know how to process or debone their game. Butchers don’t have freezer or cooler space to store meat waiting on results. There has been little to no direction offered or given by the regulating bodies on how to keep people safe from processing cross contamination. I can see more and more processors refusing to cut wild game. We devide cut wrap label and separate all animals we have tested, get a positive it gets tossed.

LC
yes that's the way it should be done but I still don't think it should be brought to the butchers before the tests are back
Old 01-30-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The butcher is in a mandatory zone. It’s full of pre-test animals.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
All bear meat is considered to have trich thus the well done cooking <
Not quite true. Checked a bunch of publications for Black bears and 1 for Grizzlies in Alberta.
Prevalence in Grizzlies in Alberta north of Bow River was 28% infected of 61 Grizz examined and south of Bow River was 61% of 19.

Black bears are different story: North of Bow = 0 of 35. South of Bow = 2 of 4. Oregon 2 of 103 Black bears infected. Idaho 13% infected. California 13% infected. Interior Alaska 28% Blacks infected. Kootenay region of BC 12% infected. Pennsylvania 1.8% of 2056 examined. Arizona 2 of 51 infected. Most heavily infected carnivore in Alberta for trichinella is Cougar. Ticdoc