Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Nice lookin worms, just a bit of advice I figured out on the weekend. Your 2 that are top left will be pretty hard to get a decent hook set. Big bead for being so close to the hook and I was burned a few times this past outing because I did the same thing.
Thank you Bassett. I appreciate the help. Ill adjust the glow bead on those ones.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 PM

Here is a few more I put together.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 PM

The bead you added on may interfere with the hook setting when fish bites. I loose some fish when I put a big bead close the hook point.

Where did you get this nice looking green bead? Mine is very shining looking one and want to try something like yours.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
The bead you added on may interfere with the hook setting when fish bites. I loose some fish when I put a big bead close the hook point.

Where did you get this nice looking green bead? Mine is very shining looking one and want to try something like yours.

They are glow beads and at the beginning of the thread I believe they said fishin hole fly tying section.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post

Hello coyotezh. The bead is actually quite far from the hook tip.Its just the way the picture was taken. The wonderful thing about using glow beads is the adjustability of them while fishing . I bought the Glow Beads at the Fishin Hole on 170 st. They have them in the Fly Tying section . Tight lines .
Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Hello coyotezh. The bead is actually quite far from the hook tip.Its just the way the picture was taken. The wonderful thing about using glow beads is the adjustability of them while fishing . I bought the Glow Beads at the Fishin Hole on 170 st. They have them in the Fly Tying section . Tight lines .
That's cool... I will go to fishing hole south to see if they have those beads and buy from there...
Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 AM

Hey guys. A friend of mine came over with some Eagle Claw Kahle hooks size 2/0 tonight . He asked me if I could tie some up for him. I was surprised how big these hooks were. Will hooks this size work for Whites? Or are they more to the liking of Walleye and Pike ? They are defenately long enough to look like real worms.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Hey guys. A friend of mine came over with some Eagle Claw Kahle hooks size 2/0 tonight . He asked me if I could tie some up for him. I was surprised how big these hooks were. Will hooks this size work for Whites? Or are they more to the liking of Walleye and Pike ? They are defenately long enough to look like real worms.

Those are kind of like Suan juan worm. My only problem with them is they never sit horizontal for me and whites never bite it when it's not. They look very good though, might as well give em a try.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Those are kind of like Suan juan worm. My only problem with them is they never sit horizontal for me and whites never bite it when it's not. They look very good though, might as well give em a try.
Thanks Bassett. I,m going out Sunday for a few hours hopefully. (wife permitting) lol . Ill give them a try.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:06 PM

They will kill em! I've used SJs exactly shaped like that at Sylvan in open water. No issues as the top or bottom hook. Those silvers are going to kill there!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
They will kill em! I've used SJs exactly shaped like that at Sylvan in open water. No issues as the top or bottom hook. Those silvers are going to kill there!
Congrats on those nice whites you caught at Sylvan. SNAPFisher do you think the hook size of 2/0 are an okay size to use on whites. The hook look big .Thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks Bassett. I,m going out Sunday for a few hours hopefully. (wife permitting) lol . Ill give them a try.

I'm going to pick some up like that, tie a few patterns that have been working for me and give it go on the 27th. You have me interested in it now lol. Let us know how you make out!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM

I haven't had much success on larger w/w's, look forward to the update.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I haven't had much success on larger w/w's, look forward to the update.

Cheers

D.
Hey Zip . Hope your well. To me the 2/0 size Kahle hook looks rather large to me. Im as curious as you. Tight Lines
Old 12-23-2017, 07:07 PM

So... no one paints theirs..?

I’ve used a number of nail polishes (don’t tell wifey!)

Some color combos are killer some days.

Yellow body... red head

Red body... green head

Lots of others
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
So... no one paints theirs..?

I’ve used a number of nail polishes (don’t tell wifey!)

Some color combos are killer some days.

Yellow body... red head

Red body... green head

Lots of others
Hey bessiedog. I actually did paint up a bunch using plastic model paint. I tried nail polish a few times till the wifey got all huffy about it lol.
These are one of my first attempts at making wire worms.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 PM

I use Eagle Claw wide bend sz10 hooks for making wireworms. These hooks are lazer sharp like the packaging says and they never bent on me when I set the hook on a jumbo white fish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D02773DF-CEF1-4A7B-8DD8-6AEA601BB0FE.jpg (14.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Default some wireworm samples (and other creations)

Tried fishing but just too cold for these old bones, so decided to experiment with wire worm ideas. These are swimming nymph hooks with the bodies made from rubber glove material. I wrap the hook with lead sheeting to give it weight, then wrap the body with pieces of rubber glove, rib it with either wire or 6 lb mono, paint them with markers and finish them with either crazy glue or clear hard-as-nails polish. They end up almost looking like meal worms!
I'm hoping they may fool the odd white???

Also added a few just wire ones c/w glass beads. I'm hoping the swimming nymph style may look more natural to them.

When this cold snap ends I hope to try a few, and hopefully report on their success!!

Old 12-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Wbaj those look absolutely money!!!

Heck, I would pay money for those!! If you ever have a few spare ones, I would love to try them. They look so natural. What kind of markers do you paint them with?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
Tried fishing but just too cold for these old bones, so decided to experiment with wire worm ideas. These are swimming nymph hooks with the bodies made from rubber glove material. I wrap the hook with lead sheeting to give it weight, then wrap the body with pieces of rubber glove, rib it with either wire or 6 lb mono, paint them with markers and finish them with either crazy glue or clear hard-as-nails polish. They end up almost looking like meal worms!
I'm hoping they may fool the odd white???

Also added a few just wire ones c/w glass beads. I'm hoping the swimming nymph style may look more natural to them.

When this cold snap ends I hope to try a few, and hopefully report on their success!!

Excellent work wbaj they look awesome.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Wbaj, those yellow red ones I bet will be on fire at gull!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Waiting for this cold snap to end I've been playing with acetate thread. Bought many different colors from Wholesale Sports for cheap. Hopefully some of these will work on some Whites. Tight Lines

Last edited by Jawjacker; 12-30-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Wbaj those look absolutely money!!!

Heck, I would pay money for those!! If you ever have a few spare ones, I would love to try them. They look so natural. What kind of markers do you paint them with?
Thanks for the compliment NSR, I use a paint marker pen from Michael's craft store. Pens cost about 6 bucks but last many years.
Here is about all I used.

I have never sold any hook I've made, just enjoy playing with different ideas and catching fish on home-made hooks.
None of these have caught any fish yet.... but they also have never been in the water so you just never know!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 PM

Reflecting back .... I thought it would be a good idea to kick start this thread again in early November since photobucket crapped out and most of the pic's disappeared. At the time there was 91 post with 23,600 views, today there's 232 with 37,322 views and lots of positive helpful information/suggestions. It's great to see so many members have shared their W/W creations including lots of pics. This is got to be one of the better threads in Fishing section.

Will be checking in on occassion, my GPS is set for SoCal, back in 3.5 months.

To all, wish you a Happy N/Y and all the success over the 2018 hard water season.

Cheers

David

Old 12-31-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

Reflecting back .... I thought it would be a good idea to kick start this thread again in early November since photobucket crapped out and most of the pic's disappeared. At the time there was 91 post with 23,600 views, today there's 232 with 37,322 views and lots of positive helpful information/suggestions. It's great to see so many members have shared their W/W creations including lots of pics. This is got to be one of the better threads in Fishing section.

Will be checking in on occassion, my GPS is set for SoCal, back in 3.5 months.

To all, wish you a Happy N/Y and all the success over the 2018 hard water season.

Cheers

David
Thank You for all your help Zip. Happy New year . The best of 2018.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Waiting for this cold snap to end I've been playing with acetate thread. Bought many different colors from Wholesale Sports for cheap. Hopefully some of these will work on some Whites. Tight Lines

I've used some of that chartreuse acetate stuff to wrap around the tip of a plain red WW. Makes a nice little ball and it doesn't weight down the tip of the hook as much as a bead, in my experience. And you can add it anywhere you want on your hook, I like to put it right near the bend, just a little ball. It's bright like a bead and you can definitely see when they inhale it :-)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Well a new season is just around the corner . I'm playing with a few more designs of Wire-Worms. The best to all, in the incoming 2018/19 season . Tight Lines and most importantly Be Safe on that ice

Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well a new season is just around the corner . I'm playing with a few more designs of Wire-Worms. The best to all, in the incoming 2018/19 season . Tight Lines and most importantly Be Safe on that ice

Hey J-J .... I updated the Title to 2018/19 ... looks like you got a head start on some fine W/W's. I've got a few idea's for some new patterns, too. Today (Nov 18th) it rained & rained here in Sylvan, we lost almost all the ice that formed a few days ago, less than 1 month to opening day, should be interesting.

Edit ... Like the Kamik boots you picked up, tag says good to -100F then the equivalent Celsius -74C thought that was interesting for a "Made in Canada" product, you won't need any wool socks in those!

Nice to see all my Photobucket pic's are back

Cheers

David

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-18-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Question for you guys. What is the purpose of the beads I see them tied on the fronts and on the backs of the lure, is this supposed to mimic a Certain aquatic bug or is I just for a little snap to attract fish?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Question for you guys. What is the purpose of the beads I see them tied on the fronts and on the backs of the lure, is this supposed to mimic a Certain aquatic bug or is I just for a little snap to attract fish?

I found that a little bling helps attract Mr. White & over the past couple of years I believe adding a little color, sparkle, feather or hair on the "hook end" helps focus them on/to your presentation & they don't hesitate to inhale it.

The brass wrap with glass bead looks similar to the tiny minnows that were in Mr. White's gut, I recall I did very well that day, this pattern has been very productive for me.

As previously mentioned I tie two W/W on one line/rod, my preference is still the Double Trilene knot, I tie them with the hook facing up, it does made a difference in the hook set as all were in the upper mouth. As well, fishing in 5-7 fow I had to make some adjustments on the ice, my pre-tied W/W’s were about 12” apart, found that was too far and re-tied them to approx. 8” apart, that kept both W/W’s in the strike zone.

Trust this helps

Cheers

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-18-2018 at 09:39 PM.