Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Default Prairie Storm

What are your experiences and reviews on these Federal Prairie Storm shot shells?

I have used the 12 gauge 2 3/4'' #5 out of my Versa Max with a light mod choke and these are absolutely devastating in my opinion. Lots of meat damage and a bunch of feathers pulled through the meat from the shot. Almost seem way overkill with a 1500 fps velocity.

I haven't shot them in my new 20 gauge and would like to hear what others have experienced when doing so.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM

My wife used a bunch last fall pheasant hunting with her 20 ga. I can't remember the exact load, but they didn't seem to beat the birds up too much.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM

What birds were you using them on? I mostly shoot ruffies and spruce grouse and just use #8 target loads(1200fps) I always found larger shot, even in the #6 area gave results like you descirbed. Maybe you should consider your shot size?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Default Prairie Storm

We have lots of guys that use these on released hunts and they are waaaaay overkill. You can always tell without looking who is shooting when they let loose!
And yeah, when dividing up the birds of at the end of the day, the a**hole who shoots Prairie Storm better be taking his own birds home Lots of devastation.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM

1500FPS 1 1/4oz of buffered copper plate??
Crap, what they after, pterodactyls??

Cat
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Default Storm

I used them this season for the first time on Pheasants, they were pretty good in my 20 ga. but for some reason I'm a bit happier with the Remington Nitro Pheasant & I'm sticking with what I like best. But I would put the PS ahead of the Winchesters.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Brutal on the shoulder, hard on the ears, tough on the birds, and cause they pattern tighter than standard, tougher to hit with - for me at least. I took a box to North Dakota for pheasants and won't do it again. Noticed absolutely no difference except for fewer misses when I switched back to my normal 1 1/8 field loads.

I believe the recoil figures for my 6.6 lb 12 ga came to 47 ft-lbs - or something like a .375 wby.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
We have lots of guys that use these on released hunts and they are waaaaay overkill. You can always tell without looking who is shooting when they let loose!
And yeah, when dividing up the birds of at the end of the day, the a**hole who shoots Prairie Storm better be taking his own birds home Lots of devastation.
I used them on a pheasant release hunt a couple weeks ago. Wouldn't use them again in my 12 gauge. Was just more curious of how they would treat birds out of my 20 gauge. And I know what yeah mean. During the chukar hunt a month or so back sounded like cannons in the area beside ours. When I heard what they were shooting I had to try em.