Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Stray bullet came from The Leth range

cut and pasted from county 95.5 news

LETHBRIDGE: The person responsible for firing a gun that caused a bullet to pierce the roof of a north side home last month will not be charged.

Regional Police were called to a north-side home around 1:46 on February 15th, for a report that a bullet had come through the roof of a home along the 2300 block of 13 Street North.

The occupants of the home heard a bang and when they went to check on the noise found a hole in their ceiling and a bullet on the floor. No one was injured.

Shortly after the incident, Police went to the Lethbridge Fish and Game Range along Riverbottom Road North, and found two men who were target shooting with pistols at the time of the incident. Both men cooperated and voluntarily provided their ammunition and firearms to police for examination.

Following interviews with the subjects as well as a review of the security footage, it was determined that a 31-year-old male inadvertently fired a Smith and Wesson .45 caliber pistol while the barrel was pointed upwards allowing the bullet to leave the range and clear the safety berm.

Ballistics testing conducted by a member of the Calgary Police Service Firearms Unit confirmed that the bullet recovered from the home was fired from the Smith and Wesson pistol the 31-year-old was using at the Fish and Game Range.

After consulting with the Crown Prosecutor’s office, the man’s actions were deemed non-criminal and the case has been concluded without criminal charges.

This Is going to suck for the range
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM

.....muzzle control at all times....pointing level downrange or downwards to the ground would have prevented this misfortune....

Was the guy posing like one of Charlie's Angels????

We are our own worst enemies....

LC
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM

how far away would that house be from the range?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Default distance

from firing line on range 5 to center of the trailer court 1948 yards,
not sure what trailer got hit
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM

There is always someone whose stupidity will ruin good things for others. A shame that responsible firearm owners/users have to have people sullying the collective image.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Has LFGA or the city put out a press release yet? Was this 31 year old male on the payroll of Tarleck? Either way not good.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM

See these baffles. They work.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM

There are baffles at the Lethbridge Range
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Baffles aren't the solution to the four firearms rules.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Guess that proves Stupidity is not a crime. Not that it would have mattered if some unfortunate person happened to be in the way

Grizz
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Does anyone have a photo of these baffles on the handgun range?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

Based on post #1 the only one responsible for this is the one who did not control the muzzle of his pistol.
Yes we tend to be our worst enemy.

With what has been presented the individual has put the range in jeopardy and if he is a member he should be expelled.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Last gasp for the range? This gives opponents a pretty good sledge hammer. Can't argue it didn't come from there. I don't know, but I wonder....
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Last gasp for the range? This gives opponents a pretty good sledge hammer. Can't argue it didn't come from there. I don't know, but I wonder....
yes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Some idiot tried to accuse me of firing over the backstop at the sherwood park fish and game range when I was shooting my beretta pistol. He came from one of the rifle lines and told me to watch where I was shooting, because he said there were bullets landing in his lane... I said it was probably him and he should pay more attention to where his bullets are going, how would I manage to get a bullet over the berm and into his lane unless I was shooting straight up?? All my rounds had hit the target too
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Might be time to find a more remote location for the gun range. Houses in the line of fire?? Never heard of such a thing and it is only inevitable that something like this will happen. Must be cheap real estate down range!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
Might be time to find a more remote location for the gun range. Houses in the line of fire?? Never heard of such a thing and it is only inevitable that something like this will happen. Must be cheap real estate down range!
It's not LFGA's fault the morons in city council allowed some moron developers to build down range. The range has been there for many years before the city grew out that way. Poor city management and planning are to blame for that.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
It's not LFGA's fault the morons in city council allowed some moron developers to build down range. The range has been there for many years before the city grew out that way. Poor city management and planning are to blame for that.
But we don't even know the bullet went downrange. Could have went sideways. The fellow shot up into the air.

I do agree with the "Was here first argument" in most cases, but if you need to have a mile safety zone in every direction around a facility it's going to really handicap a growing city over time. I would think the city could facilitate a property swap that would benefit everyone and create a nice range will away from problems, and create a nice public space (or development) in a prime location where the range used to be.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM

The city has a responsibility to ensure that there are safe places for people to shoot. As was stated in the last LFGA meeting regarding the range, city council needs to seriously consider the possible outcome of not supporting the existence of a range. Perhaps the range needs to be moved or other improvements put into place but imagine what could happen if shooters took to the countryside surrounding the city looking for makeshift ranges.

The accidental discharge was recorded on one of the cameras on the handgun range. It's unfortunate that no charges will be laid. Taking the responsibility from the individual shooter and placing it on safe shooting members, negatively affects public perception.

As for baffles....... Baffles are only useful if they are in front of the firing line. Dynamic firing lines, as are used in some activities, are going to take some more creative solutions. Safe shooters have sent thousands of rounds downrange on that particular range. It only took one unsafe user to create this mess. Perhaps certification needs to be range specific. As many of us know, muzzle direction is the most difficult to control with a pistol.

Just because someone received their RPAL doesn't make them a competent shooter.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 PM

I agree in a sense that the safe shooters are going to pay for someone who made a poor judgement and who did not follow basic rules....

I think the person should suffer some consequence as well.

LC
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Being in the military, any negligent discharge is an automatic charge. The fellow may not deserve a criminal charge, but should be given a nice fine at the least.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Being in the military, any negligent discharge is an automatic charge. The fellow may not deserve a criminal charge, but should be given a nice fine at the least.
Finance the move of the range perhaps.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Finance the move of the range perhaps.
I don't know anything about the range, but sounds like it could use an upgrade or two.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM

In the third post it states that it was 1948 yards. It seems like quite a distance for a 45 cal. to me. Even though you just can't fix stupid.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree in a sense that the safe shooters are going to pay for someone who made a poor judgement and who did not follow basic rules....

I think the person should suffer some consequence as well.

LC
How can the police charge someone for doing the same thing they themselves have done?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How can the police charge someone for doing the same thing they themselves have done?
Very good point...they both should have had consequences...

LC
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That's easy, **** poor weapon control results in charge. It don't matter who else has done what. The man lost control of his weapon and should suffer the consequence. He could have killed someone and paying a fine might help him remember in the future to have control of his weapon at all times.

It's **** simple. Basic weapons handling 101. Muzzle direction is controlled at all times. There is no oops I'm sorry when it comes to guns and negligent discharges.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
As many of us know, muzzle direction is the most difficult to control with a pistol.

Just because someone received their RPAL doesn't make them a competent shooter.
Umm..... How is not pointing a firearm in an unsafe direction anymore difficult with one than another? I have every primary type of firearm legally available and I don't point one in one direction and another one in another direction. Muzzle control is the most basic fundamental principal of firearm safety. Always point a firearm in a safe direction. I have had hot brass go down my shirt, hit me in the face, and in one awkward moment even go in my mouth (that will teach me to talk and shoot at the same time) and always do I point my firearm safely. Even my shooting partner who witnessed me screaming profanities while spitting brass and burnt powder out of my mouth while laughing so hard I wanted to punch him, maintained proper muzzle control. There is ZERO excuse for pointing a firearm in any direction but the correct one.

x1000 on people having an RPAL not nessecarily being competent to actually own one
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM

230gr Magtek factory ammo with a 25M zero gives you this...

Must have been pointing that gun damn near straight up.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
That's easy, **** poor weapon control results in charge. It don't matter who else has done what. The man lost control of his weapon and should suffer the consequence. He could have killed someone and paying a fine might help him remember in the future to have control of his weapon at all times.

It's **** simple. Basic weapons handling 101. Muzzle direction is controlled at all times. There is no oops I'm sorry when it comes to guns and negligent discharges.
exactly