Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM

I have been working the Edmonton Boat & Sportsman Show for the past 4 years and the number 1 complaint I here from new boat owners is that their boat is underpowered. Some salesmen will tell you that a lower powered motor will work in order to make the sale, particularly if they know the buyer is price conscious. The end result is that the buyer is unhappy with the performance, especially if they want to get on plane with a couple passengers and gear.

I have a Lund SSV16 with a 25 hp 4 stroke and it’s been a great boat but it’s 2-300 lbs lighter than what you’re considering. I would seriously consider going with a higher HP and add the power tilt and trim. You will be happier with the boat in the long run.

The Edmonton Show is the weekend of March 16th and I will be at the Barry Jays booth with Lund and Princecraft if you want to swing by. I’m not a sales guy, just like talking about boats.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Why does Lund not publish the weight capacity of their boats?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
There’s some truth to this for sure, but also some things that are not necessarily accurate. I’d suggest the OP do some research of their own, compare the actual specs and gather real world experience from people who’ve run the different brands.

The biggest thing is, Bombardier now owns Alumacraft, and Lund is part of the Brunswick Corp., therefore pretty much Mercury only. Getting a Lund with an ETEC will require jumping through a lot of hoops and quite a bit more $$$$.
Thanks.

I won't be buying an Evinrude. My old boat had a 94 Evinrude, and getting parts for it was horrible.

I vowed to never buy Evinrude again.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I have been working the Edmonton Boat & Sportsman Show for the past 4 years and the number 1 complaint I here from new boat owners is that their boat is underpowered. Some salesmen will tell you that a lower powered motor will work in order to make the sale, particularly if they know the buyer is price conscious. The end result is that the buyer is unhappy with the performance, especially if they want to get on plane with a couple passengers and gear.

I have a Lund SSV16 with a 25 hp 4 stroke and it’s been a great boat but it’s 2-300 lbs lighter than what you’re considering. I would seriously consider going with a higher HP and add the power tilt and trim. You will be happier with the boat in the long run.

The Edmonton Show is the weekend of March 16th and I will be at the Barry Jays booth with Lund and Princecraft if you want to swing by. I’m not a sales guy, just like talking about boats.

SS
Thanks for the post.

You know I was at Barry Jays looking at the 1400 Fury in stock, and got a quote on the 1600 in question, and no mention a 25 under powered and pretty sure he started by trying to sell me a 20.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Thanks for the post.

You know I was at Barry Jays looking at the 1400 Fury in stock, and got a quote on the 1600 in question, and no mention a 25 under powered and pretty sure he started by trying to sell me a 20.

Like I mentioned, my SSV-16 has a 25 and it will do about 28 mph. I have pulled a wakeboarder behind it (as an experiment) and pulled a double tube with two young kids. It will do it. It has a 40 hp rating as well.

The Fury is about 250 lbs more, so consider that as one sizeable adult and fishing gear. It still will get on plane, but if you expect to get three adults, gear, and to easily pop up on plane you may be disappointed.

With respect to buying a used boat, just keep in mind that the Lund warranty becomes a 10 year pro rated (from original date of purchase) whereas it’s lifetime to the original owner. If you plan on keeping it a long time that may be a consideration.

At the end of the day you know best what your expectations, budget, and intended use is. All of those will influence your decision.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Like I mentioned, my SSV-16 has a 25 and it will do about 28 mph. I have pulled a wakeboarder behind it (as an experiment) and pulled a double tube with two young kids. It will do it. It has a 40 hp rating as well.

The Fury is about 250 lbs more, so consider that as one sizeable adult and fishing gear. It still will get on plane, but if you expect to get three adults, gear, and to easily pop up on plane you may be disappointed.

With respect to buying a used boat, just keep in mind that the Lund warranty becomes a 10 year pro rated (from original date of purchase) whereas it’s lifetime to the original owner. If you plan on keeping it a long time that may be a consideration.

At the end of the day you know best what your expectations, budget, and intended use is. All of those will influence your decision.
Well that was a darn good point to make.

I hadn't thought of that, I am leaning toward new anyhow, but that likely settled it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Go with the tiller. When people talk about room it’s a factor. But I find in some friends boats with a console that casting now becomes an issue. But I am totally 100% bias on this.

Dodger.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
There’s some truth to this for sure, but also some things that are not necessarily accurate. I’d suggest the OP do some research of their own, compare the actual specs and gather real world experience from people who’ve run the different brands.

The biggest thing is, Bombardier now owns Alumacraft, and Lund is part of the Brunswick Corp., therefore pretty much Mercury only. Getting a Lund with an ETEC will require jumping through a lot of hoops and quite a bit more $$$$.
Not exactly accurate ........ Riverside Lund in St.Albert offers Honda, Yamaha, or Evinrude engines on all of their Lund boats ............ they have done so for years .......... and continue to do so today.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:

And ........ the Lund Warranty is absolutely awesome, no questions, silly things I break, no problem they fix it, I have never purchased anything in my life with such an awesome warranty.

Boat 3 years old, left the bildge pump on and burn the pump out, no problem replaced under warranty.

They have fixed my snaps on the covers every time anyone of them pops off.

The trailer brake (after a trip from hell 100's of km down a terrible road) was damaged by flying rocks - no problem - warranty

Zipper, after 4 years on canopy, goes wonky, no problem, they send me a new one

It seems like I'm robbing them anytime I mention any minor self inflicted deficiencies, they fix them during my annual service and don't charge me a dime.

UNBVBL customer service (Riverside Lund)
Old 02-23-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not exactly accurate ........ Riverside Lund in St.Albert offers Honda, Yamaha, or Evinrude engines on all of their Lund boats ............ they have done so for years .......... and continue to do so today.

Riverside will no longer be carrying Lund, as of this year.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Riverside will no longer be carrying Lund, as of this year.
What brand are they carrying?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What brand are they carrying?

They weren’t sure when I talked with them, but my money is on Alumacraft since they are a BRP dealer and BRP owns Alumacraft now.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why does Lund not publish the weight capacity of their boats?
Check out the catalogue archive. Capacities are posted there.
No idea why the info wouldn't be on the website. Seems like pretty basic info.

https://www.lundboats.com/catalog-archive/

2018 is the last year available. Should be ok for 2019.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Tiller and 40hp
Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 PM

I wouldn't have a motor without electric start. A couple of years ago I had a torn rotator cuff. There is no way I could have started the motor if it was a pull start and I would have missed a season of fishing.

Lots of guys have shoulder issues after years of work. Something to consider.

As a side note, I tried to get out of mowing the lawn but wifey was more than happy to start the mower for me and then say "There you go, honey."

Power trim is something else I wouldn't be without. Well worth the money as it will improve the performance of the boat.

Just my observation, but when conditions get sporty, the wettest part of the boat seems to be the rear starboard seat.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Actually, it was entirely accurate.

I never said it couldn’t be done, just that it would require jumping through some extra hoops (like finding and dealing exclusively with a single dealer) and likely cost more.

With the new ETEC/Alumacraft partnership, you’ll likely see even more exclusivity when it comes to boat and motor combos being sold at dealers. Case in point as posted above - Riverside Marine.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
OK, well I still have some money left so here is a 2.0 to this thread.

I did some looking around (already had done a lot) and I have found a smoking deal on a 1600 Fury SS that comes with a 40 hp. Looks like I can get it for the same money, maybe cheaper than a tiller with a 40.

i really hadn't considered the console. The maintenance really turns me off and I really like that the tiller has more floor space. Those were my deciding factors, so it made no sense to spend more money.

So I will ask the question...........anyone think I will regret buying the tiller over the console, since they are both basically going to be the same money?
No, a tiller is the only way to go in a smaller fishing boat.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

Just my observation, but when conditions get sporty, the wettest part of the boat seems to be the rear starboard seat.

If the weather is crappy then you are getting wet anyway, and the ride is far smoother at the back then way up front at a console. I would still take a tiller.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 AM

Well this is pretty exciting, getting a nice boat for yourself!

I went through a 16ft boat with a 25hp tiller no power trim and it was good for the purpose and very low maitenance... however it wasnt super deep and the motor was maxed for the boat but maxed out at about 30km/hr which was ok but personally i was antsy to upgrade pretty quickly...

Im no pro so bare with me - but i did do a good amount of research before the last upgrade. You are looking at getting likely your final fishing boat potentially, and you should be looking for convenience and longevity in every way. So obviously do a lot of research - once you pick an approximate size and style you can go to multiple dealers in a day just at least to see what each boat will offer and get a price of course. That will really let you get a feel of what you want before you buy one specific boat/style. From there you can start looking on kijiji etc as well, the last year or so with the economy has seen an enormous amount of boats come up for sale at good prices then i have in the past 7ish years.

Anyways, heres the techincal stuff that ive seen you talking about.

Hp - max it out, the majority of the guys are telling you to do it and i agree for sure. I have found that at the lower end if the hp scale from 20-60ish hp lots of us would like a little more... obviously your dollar value is going up but even a 60hp on a 16ft 5 years old can be bought for about 10,000 used. New youre looking at around 18 000 - 21 000. But the warranty and new is nice to have. My old 25hp pushed at about 30km/hr, and my 60hp is now about 50km/hr fully loaded. I do have one of your dreaded evinrudes, but the new etecs are awesome. Your winterizing is all done by the motor and insanely convenient. I am also a fan of yamaha, guys who run resorts swear by them lots of the time. If you are really tight on cash i understand the lower hp but if this is your dream boat dont be afraid to look even at some 60hp set ups. It also makes me feel safer in any bad water. Im not a huge fan of mercury, ive heard and seen so many issues comparatively to the new evinrudes and yamahas, and possibly even hondas.

Power trim - if i was 52 and looking to have this boat long term i would not even consider not having power trim. Thats a decision you will regret if you dont have it.

Console - i thought originally exactly like you. I wanted room, room, room. So i had a tiller and benches. And it was a pain in the ass. However i think lots of newer models, possibly even the one you want is likely more open. If its benches dont even consider. But the consoles are quite small now unless you want the bigger one. The one i have is only a small console on one side, i think the multiple side was is a waste of space, or a full wind shield. However the people fishing with you would like a double or full - i always get complaints but i advise them to get their own boat or dingy then. Haha. My boat and im warm with the single console windbreaker, selfish but efficient space saving. Also you are likely going to have a fish finder and this gives you a nice central, super convenient place to put it. It will be handier then you realize and more comfortable to drive without having to have your arm man handling behind you on the tiller, especially with any sort of rough weather. Another thing to think about is where do you like to fish in your boat? Personally i prefer the front and that is also where your anchoring, trolling motors(depending on type) etc is done from. The console puts you closer to the front, otherwise with the tiller you tend to end up fishing in the back of the boat when others are with you i find.

Storage - this is a huge one. Do your dilligence on the storage and rod storage space. Do you need them to be lockable etc?

Floor - do not get carpet, its a huge pain. Always soggy, hooks get stuck in it, it stinks etc etc etc. the new rubber floor coating is pretty convenient all around. Make sure you have a floor and not just the uneven surface on the bottom of the boat. Im assuming whatever you are looking at either way will have a flat floor. Also huge help because it gives you storage options.

Maitenance - the only extra maitenance i have from my old boat to my new one is the fact that most boats with consoles tend to also have livewells. The biggest extra maitenance you will have regardless of whether you use it or not is making sure you dont have water in those lines before winter, all i do is make sure i store it at a really good angle with the nose high before winter. If they crack or break its a big fix. This is also true of a bilge pump. Besides that the console really doesnt add any “work”.

Trolling motor - minn kota power drive with i pilot you can get used for probably about 500 or less. Its a game changer and will make you not use your anchor anymore, but thats up to you. Its super nice and convenient to have. Youtube it if you get some time.

Every little piece you add or make nicer/more expensive is a tiny bit more work/maitenance etc but you need to decide what you want overall - style of fishing, price range, size of lakes you like, how many people, how often do you go out.... theres so much to it. Take your time and go sit in some boats at the dealer and get an overall feel and then go from there. Im super excited for you! Im sorry for the novel but hopefully it helps a bit.

If you want super low maitenance then keep it super simple. But if you want a better fishing experience on the water then you may want to balance that out and treat yourself on some, or all the aspects ive mentioned.

Good luck!!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Good thread. I am in the same boat, and am about to purchase a very similar model. I looked at the Lund Fury 1600 but I think I will go with an Alumacraft 165. Side console, I think it will be more comfortable and balance the boat better than a tiller. There will still be plenty of fishable space.

The Alumacraft is a bit heavier than the Lund 1600. I will go with an Evinrude Etec. The Etecs have some real advantages over 4 strokes. Probably a 30 HP with power tilt and trim. The 30 is about 90 pounds lighter than the 40 and has pull start and electric. I like the idea of pull start for backup in case of a dead battery. With a 30 it won't be the fastest boat but I hope it planes well with 2 guys and some gear.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 AM

I just checked the Evinrude site and it looks like the 40 Etec also has electric and pull start. Heavier motor, almost $2000 more than the 30, but 10 more HP. Tough decision.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Guys I really appreciate all the advice!!

Yes, you're spending more of my money, but I sure don't want to be spending money twice either. If I am buying new, I may as well do it right from the beginning.

I'll revive the thread after I buy and show you some boat porn!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM

Lots of great info here. I am an older guy that bought a Crestline 1600 fish hawk from a good pal. It is a side console in a fairly heavy boat, (boat + trailer and some stuff is 1200#'s) . Pal bought it as a package from Fee Spirit with an older packaged, carbureted two stroke 50 Merc. c/w tilt. The boat is rated for about Max 70 hp.

A few "problems" have surfaced, the engine is too small and older technology, but I have solved some engine running issues with a annual tune by Auto Marine in Calgary, Brian does an incredible job.

BUT I can't fix the underpowered and it is underpowered. Every winter I look for the impossible unicorn a 25 hp gain with limited cash out lay, it does not exist.

The side console is great, lot more room up the middle, easy to fish two guys and three if pals. But with the 16 ft. the "just bring the minimum gear on board rule" must be followed.

I have removed the live well pump, plugged the inlet and outlet and use it the live well for storage. That works for me.

My take away is max. the HP and side console is a great fishing set up. If I was doing it from scratch and money was not an issue, I would seriously consider the old 2 ft. rule and go bigger, but that 2ft is a lot of dough.

But really this boat suits me very well, easy on n off trailer, easy to pull, easy to store & I can handle the boat at the ramp by myself and there is decent room to fish.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Oops forgot

If I was to buy a boat from scratch I would buy it with hydraulic steering, I fish mostly Crawling and other reservoirs and to stay on depth, lots of directional changes are needed in short order.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Damn, is it May long yet? Sitting in her in the garage drinking beer is getting pretty chilly!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Damn, is it May long yet? Sitting in her in the garage drinking beer is getting pretty chilly!

Just come to the boat show in a couple weeks and then see how anxious you are for open water!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Just come to the boat show in a couple weeks and then see how anxious you are for open water!
I have to ask, what financial incentives are usually at the boat show if any?

It seems most deals are seasonal, not boat show only. Will there be special financing that weeknd only?

I do not live near Edmonton. I was planning on going to the boat show in March, and it likely would have been a $1000 weekend (wifey and I do like to have fun). Since I am really close to having decided on my boat, and everyone here has been so generous spending my money, I am thinking I should stay home and put that money towards a bigger motor.

Will I miss out on something?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM

PM’d you.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I have to ask, what financial incentives are usually at the boat show if any?

It seems most deals are seasonal, not boat show only. Will there be special financing that weeknd only?

I do not live near Edmonton. I was planning on going to the boat show in March, and it likely would have been a $1000 weekend (wifey and I do like to have fun). Since I am really close to having decided on my boat, and everyone here has been so generous spending my money, I am thinking I should stay home and put that money towards a bigger motor.

Will I miss out on something?
In my experience, no.

If you're in the dealership with cash in hand during the spring season when they're ordering boats or trying to sell what they have left for stock boats, the price you're going to get will be every bit as good or maybe even better than the price you'd have got at the show.

The real benefit of the show isn't the pricing, it's having all the dealers in one place at one time and being able to walk around and actually see all the different boats in person, sit in them, open up compartments, and truly compare all the different options.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM

...Does Edmonton boat show have an Alumacraft dealer? IMO, Alumacraft is the only real competitor to Lund in terms of truly great fishing boats, and they didn't have a rep dealer at Calgary Boat Show, which was super disappointing to me. I'm sort of between the Lund Fury XL and the Alumacraft Escape 16 (both "best of the basic tinners") and wanted to be able to compare...