Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
You really need to think before you type.

Had more money for testing been available as little as 10 years ago some of these lakes likely would have gone to 1 fish limit from 3 like what you and others are asking for.

Last post to someone that has threatened me on here.
Brilliant!

Instead of spending money on restocking you'd rather see them spending money on restricting retention. LOL, why doesn't that surprise me?

You keep promising you'll stop, but you keep going. Probably just forgot hey? That would explain "more money" I guess.

Threaten you? ....... Bah hahaha! Before you start crying, remember who picked it. If you weren't being ignorant, I would still like you.

Now I just don't like you, but I'll still post my opinions.

Last edited by Kurt505; 10-23-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:28 AM

Default How to Slay Sockeye

The Fraser River Sockeye run has been opened to recreational and commercial harvest this year, 2018. My other boat is out of commission so I have been going out on my 16 foot aluminum Spectrum. It works fairly well out in this area, just have to watch out for the winds picking up and head in before it gets too messy out there. I fish four rods and stack dummy flasher below my rods. Check out my set up in the video. I go through everything in detail at the beginning. I am no expert by any means. This was from my third time out this year. Since then I have been out 6 more times and I think I have been getting better every time out with how to handle the fish on the line and even learning the sockeye flop. Thanks to all the help I got online. It really was a game changer for me out there.

The fishery is still open for now and there are still guys getting their limits of nice fish. So if you want to hit it come on down, because it doesn't happen for another four years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ90NgzSqzs

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM

oop, delete.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-22-2019, 02:56 PM

A lot of interesting posts on walleye,pike, perch in Alberta, But in southern Alberta, South of the transcanada, No one has mentioned the water levels in our reservoirs which is probably one of the biggest factors on fisheries in the south,example last summer the water levels in St. Marys Res. Ridge Res. Chin res. and others have been drawn down to very low levels due to irrigation commitments, With the low water levels in the spring spawning fish lay eggs , then have a sudden increase of water in these res. a lot of the eggs are lost, creating a poor hatch, This seems to be a very common problem in Southern Alberta, I understand that the reservoirs are made for irrigation, But possibly too much water is being drawn from the system, Could there possibly be a better balance of water usage be put in place. We in the south do have a lot of dry years and the reservoirs do take a beating as well as the fishires.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I think it is the other way around. You are arguing for things to stay the same way they are which is change... The walleye regulations are being changed every year to convert more and more lakes to tags without proper monitoring...

My method of slot limit does not require good monitoring. Nor does a minimum limit. Read the report... 50 cm minimum size limit is good enough to recover(not just maintain, recover) walleye on our lakes.

The only reason the tag system is being used is to confront the issues of the hockey stick fish stunting which could lead to long term issues. It isn't being used because it is the only way to maintain our walleye numbers, it is being used to try to have better control of the size of the fish.

A slot limit also helps combat hockey stick growth, as does stocking. The tag system is far from our only option.

I don't guess. I read the facts provided to me by the government... You should try doing the same so that we can converse in an intelligent argument rather then having to listen to you spout crap like this.

Don't worry though I will do the leg work... Here is the blanket statement provided on every netting report. The actual estimated percent of each test is also given.

We are talking 100's if not 1000's of walleye killed in test nets every year and you want to make it a more regular occurrence? Maybe we should just get rid of the netting period, then there would for sure be enough walleye for the recreational fishermen...
When the Western Walleye Council funded the population structures of individual lakes back in the early '90s, we used electro fishing to obtain the age-structure samples required. We used a private firm to conduct the studies. It was intended to have all the primary lakes
in Alberta studied over time through proceeds from our Tournaments but unfortunately only three lakes were completed. As I recall ,they were Baptiste, Touchwood and Moose. You could see the current Walleye situation happening at that time. Too little, too late.