Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Default Fish Cat Scout

Hey All

Looking for reviews on the fish cat scout? Will it work in flowing water or is more for still water?

Cheers

Millar

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM

One review on the Outcast page says he uses it on the Bighorn in Montana. That river is a lot like the Bow.
I think it is hard to go slow enough to fish really effectively from these kind of boats while floating down the river (you can't row and fish like in a drift boat). But it would be great for getting from spot to spot
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 PM

I have an Outcast Stealth Pro which I’ve used on the Elk River with full confidence. Handles easily. It can get a little splashy if you plow it into a standing wave, but that’s what GoreTex is for.

Actually, I’m looking to sell it and get something bigger, if you’re interested.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM

I love my Scout. Use it mostly on potholes. I floated the N Sask, it was fine. Very light and easy to carry around.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:22 AM

There’s one on kijjj Calgary for 500$ right now
Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 PM

I'm another fan of the Scout. I've used mine mainly on trout ponds in Alberta and Manitoba and have been really happy with it.

I had an older Fish Cat Streamer XL prior to the Scout. The biggest advantage for me has been the weight. The Scout is half the weight of the Streamer and my 60+ year old back really appreciates that. I find the Scout just as maneuverable as the Streamer and a float tube I used to fish with. The oars are really effective as well although I'm sure the Streamer's longer, sturdier oars would be more effective in real white water. As previously mentioned, I think the Scout would be fine on the Bow.

I even made a PVC trolling motor for the Scout. The seat does push up a bit of water when using the motor, but it sure beats fighting a prairie wind with only oars & fins!
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 On Water.jpg (160.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 AM

I own one, great on the bow and tracks well on lakes.

I was rowing it on barrier lake with a passenger in the back cargo area. I was rowing against 40km winds that day and not once did I feel like it was going to flip. Definitely worth the money, easy setup and take down. It packs up into s child’s small hockey bag.

I’ve had it for 3 seasons and as long as you wipe down and store it in a dry area I can see it lasting ‘many years.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying one, now just need the weather to turn.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying one, now just need the weather to turn.

Nice you’re not going to regret the purchase it opens up a whole new level of fishing.

I recommend you get a set of force fins or out cast power kick fins. It will help you control yourself on the water especially when you hook up with a fish. This pontoon sits low to the water so these fins actually work opposed to using them on a framed pontoon that sits high.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 PM

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Scout.

I also use Float Tube Force Fins and have been happy with them. Great for launching and landing without tripping! The Outcast Power Kick fins look very similar.

This is a link to some of the mods I've made to my Scout.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...trolling+motor

Keep in mind I'm a Lefty! The Scotty strap-on mounts are great for getting an idea where you want to have a fly rod holder, net, sonar, etc.

You will probably need a landing net with a longer handle to get fish over the foot rest bar in front. I'm using Lucky Strike net with extending handle from Cdn Tire. Works fine. I added a Scotty 342 paddle clip to hold it.

After adding the second storage bag, I no longer have anything but the trolling motor battery behind my seat. I can fit everything I need for 6 - 8 hours on the water in the two side bags.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucky Strike Landing Net.jpg (36.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:08 PM

I'd argue that the scout is the best bang for your buck as far as frameless boats go.

My girlfriend has one that we picked up used, and we've taken it down some Skeena system rivers w/o issue. Rowing experience plays a good role in what you can handle, but anything Class 3 or below, it's quite competent.