Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Didn't we see late last year a man, Felix Baumgartner, break the speed of sound which is 1,126ft/s(768 mph) and he was in free fall?
Up at the height that Felix dropped from, the air is a lot thinner. Also, the suit that he wore likely decreased his drag coefficient.

He likely broke the speed of sound very early in his descent. As he came closer to the earth, the density of the air increased, and his speed decreased.

I agree, the tangents are what makes these threads interesting!

Dusty
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Dusty I totally agree that tangents add much to any thread.

For instance, there are 2346.6 kilometres between Roswell, New Mexico and the Lethbridge range.

So wtf does this latest bit of irrelevancy have to do with the OP's thread?

Well, it occurred to me that with the powerful magic bullets fired in Lethbridge, no doubt Baumgartner barely escaped being hit by a stray Lethbridge round when he did his free fall dive over Roswell NM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Weird....
Cant say I have ever even heard of anyone being the target of their own spent cartridges or from a buddies gun.
How do you do that????
And maybe that should be on the firearms questionaire about how to avoid cartridge burns.
I also agree....some people are not competent
It's a real thing (though rare). If you google "brass in face" you will see a few. Mine was a G17 that would kick a piece every 75 rounds or so. Usually went over my shoulder, but every once in a while after I got one in the mouth it went away. Buddy of mine bought it for cheap (he had shot it and didn't mind the erratic ejection) and then got it fixed after taking one to the lips (mouth closed lucky bugger haha). Problem was a bad extractor/ejector if I remember correctly. Lighter loads would cause it to eject more backwards than sideways
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM

everything is just UFI unless your planning on a wedding in the middle east......

LMAO . love it, gonna have to try to remember that one and use it in context one day. will be hard though.

this thread is really getting out there...... cracking me up. crap I flunked out of physics too.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Smile

Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Got an email last night stating that the shooter lost his range privileges do to the shot and for having his finger on the trigger while not pointing at the target. Also the range officer that was with him lost his privileges too for not intervening on the dangerous firearm handling.

Also if you live in or around leth, March 25th there is a meeting at city hall (unsure of time yet) in regards to movement of the range. We need as many people to show up in support of the range as possible.

If they can justify the huge price tag of the arts center for a small group they can justify giving a grant for a range movement to a huge group of shooters
Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Default LFGA Range CALL TO ACTION

It is time to contact your friends on council now to VERY POLITELY tell them what you think.
Remember there will be a civic election in October and let them know you live in Lethbridge will be voting.
Call or email them now and on the LFGA website www.lfga.org is a contact sheet for the members of City Council.

In addition to this motion the CIP process includes a public open house where Council will review and ask us questions on April 2 so we need you to show your support of our project by being there and talking to City Council members. Remember we are trying to comply with the wishes of Council as we Relocate the range ... we just need their support.

MOTION TO BE CONSIDERED
Moved by: F. G. ELLIS
Mayor: R. Dodic
OFFICIAL BUSINESS
Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Gun Range
Item 7.7
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Shooting Range be closed until such time as the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association can provide Commissionaires or other professional security officials to be present at all times the Shooting Range is open
AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the Shooting Range be permanently closed no later than December 31, 2016;
AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT should any subsequent bullet leave the Shooting Range, the Range shall be immediately closed, in its’ entirety, and the matter
be referred to City Council.
Attachments and the meeting agenda can be found at the City of Lethbridge website or click the link on our website.