Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM

Default Best Handgun???

Hi all,
as anything, I am sure there is a variety of opinions (but I would love to hear them). Used to own a couple a long time ago, but now that I am spending alot of time at the range and I can afford something a little nicer I would like to get "one" (lol I said that a year ago about rifles, but hey). Please help me out...I want something that is a 357...or maybe 9mm...I haven't followed handguns for a long time, but want something that has a bit of range/accuracy...please give some thoughts, pros/cons, maybe even pricing (I likeyyyy stainless)/availability.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM

If I were looking for a .357, I'd probably seriously consider a Ruger GP100 in stainless with the 4.2" barrel, with the 6" being a close second place. That way you could shoot the higher power .357 loads, or the more economical .38 Special loads in the same gun.

For a 9mm, the CZ Shadow seems to be one of the most popular pistols out there these days.

You could probably find either of these guns for about $750ish new.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM

You will probably have to decide between if you want a revolver or a semi, two different types of handgun shooting in my opinion. If you like the stainless look and accuracy, the Beretta 92 Inox 9mm will fit the bill if you like the feel of it. Military reliability, match grade accuracy, 800-900 dollar range I think. I own it in black finish. Only thing I don't really like is the grips are really wide, my hands are average size.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

I 2nd the Ruger GP100. With its solid weight and stock rubber grips, it's a real joy to shoot. You'd get more recoil opening a Coke.

It's worth noting though that the Smith and Wesson 686 (also a 357/38 Spec) is reported to have a much smoother trigger. Just costs a few hundred more. The Ruger will clean up nice for a couple of bucks if you want to put some work into it.

Odds of finding either....for Ruger you're probably looking at a waiting list right now. You might find a Smith if you look around a bit.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM

9mm is cheap to shoot, CZ or Beretta 92 are very nice guns... I'd go with the Beretta myself if I dident have a thing for Glock, there's just something smooth about striker fired pistols opposed to a hammer I can't seem to get past.

In a .357 I will vote for the GP100 as well... Nice quality solid wheel gun... You could also shop around for a S$W (lol) but they seem to be rather expensive...

Myself... I'm on the hunt for a Ruger Super Redhawk in some ungawdly big caliber... Built like a tank and dead sexy with rosewood grips...
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Speaking of Glocks, the Calgary Shooting Center is having a "Glock Event" on Friday and Saturday. Big shipment of the latest models, with test firings, a Glock factory rep, and door prizes. If you come to town for the gun show (also Fri and Sat) then it might be worth stopping by.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM

Default Smith M&P

4 mags, double mag holder, moulded holster, speedloader and adjustable palm swell(backstrap) for $605! Even if i didnt like it(which i do),the price alone made it a strong number 1 contender for me. 700 rds and still smilin!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM

For 9mm the two top choices would have to be:
1) Browning hi-Power, generally considered the best automatic handgun in the world. around 1000 CAD, hard to find.
2) H&K P30L: don't pick up this gun if you are not willing to spend about 1200 CAD, it will instantly make you fall in love with the ergonomics, and it is such a sweat shooter.

BUT: I would have to say: pick the Browning and own a piece of History.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM

ther 'best " handgun dpends on what you want to do with it, and ow much you want to spend.
For me for IPSC, a 625-8 wheeler in .45 is stupendous for race class, but only becase love wheel guns and hate semis.
The same gun would be useless for ISU smallbore shooting.

For general plinking for a fella that deosn't reload, a 22 is fine, unless you want a center fire, then 9mm is pretty cheap.

Cat
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM

I have been looking at the Glock 20, mainly thinking about trying to do competition, that way I can shoot major or minor depending on the load I build. The brass and bullets can be a bit more money, but all things to take into consideration. Also the Springfield Armoury XDM is high on the wish list right now! And this is the wife to me

FL
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Having made up my mind that I wanted a 9mm, I fondled the SW, Glock, Sig and CZ. I settled on CZ75 because I liked the feel of it. The one that I least liked was the Glock. Too light, plasticy and the angle of the grip made me feel like it pointed upward when I assumed a natural posture. Nothing wrong with the other brands, handgun feel is very much a personal thing.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM

I've found that most handguns feel different to different folks.
Sit down and contemplate what kind of shooting you will realistically be doing. Plinking a .22 is cheap. If you want inexpensive and maybe start getting into competitions, try the 9mm. As said previous; a .357 Magnum can be used with cheaper .38 specials for target shooting. 1911 .45's are 100+ year reliable and have a wide range of prices. From Norinco $360's to the sky's the limit race guns. Then you have your polymer framed units.
My advice would be to figure out what calibers are best for you and visit a shooting range that will allow you to try a few out. I like the grip angle and magwell size of the 1911, but found I disliked the feel/frame angle of the CZ75. I bought slimmer grips for my Beretta 92 and think it feels better. A western six shooter rolls a bit in your hand when shooting and feels like a lighter recoil than a semi that pushes on the web of your hand.
It's all subjective to the user. My range time is dependant on my mood. If I want a few hours, I'll take the .22. Some days I try for holster practice and use the Beretta. Other days I just want to hammer with the .45. My new hammer is a .44.
Try a few out and see what works for you. Or go with Plan B - buy one of every make and just keep trying them at your leisure.
Yea, my wife won't let me try Plan B either.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks alot guys, and please keep the comments coming...I like the semi auto action, but really like the 357. Is there a noticeable difference between the ruger and smith and wesson??? I think I located a S&W, or atleast where one is expected, but as I said I am really starting from scratch here. Not that money isn't an issue, but would rather spend it once and be totally happy with it and not regretting or settling so I am thinkin' around $1000 if necessary. thanks again all.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Thanks alot guys, and please keep the comments coming...I like the semi auto action, but really like the 357. Is there a noticeable difference between the ruger and smith and wesson??? I think I located a S&W, or atleast where one is expected, but as I said I am really starting from scratch here. Not that money isn't an issue, but would rather spend it once and be totally happy with it and not regretting or settling so I am thinkin' around $1000 if necessary. thanks again all.
You'll probably want to work on the Ruger's trigger to be as good as the S&W is out of the box. The S&W comes with a red ramp sight, while the Ruger red ramp is a $15 part. The Ruger is a little more angular and I think the ejector rod and cylinder are a simpler, more durable design than the S&W but not hugely so.

Comes down to the price and what you feel like paying. I paid about $700 for a Ruger GP100 recently. The S&W will be more like 9 or so.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
4 mags, double mag holder, moulded holster, speedloader and adjustable palm swell(backstrap) for $605! Even if i didnt like it(which i do),the price alone made it a strong number 1 contender for me. 700 rds and still smilin!
You got 4mags? I got ripped. Only got 3 with mine. Mine was about $580 in Dawson Creek. Really like it except pin that holds back strap works itself out.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks again everyone...researching and leaning towards the S&W 357, thinkin' I might throw an add on here for a few days and see what happens. thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM

I was stuck between a Smith and Ruger .357mag about 2 years ago. I ended up going with the Ruger. (Granted mines an LCR) I'd been looking for a .357mag for 7 years. Over that time I've been told numerous times that while they are nice, you pay for a name with Smith. I've also been told by several gun smiths that the Ruger's were built a bit stouter. Hearsay?? maybe, but having handled both Smiths and Rugers, I'd say get the one that fits your hand best. Hell if you want go look at a Taurus as well. For me it was a no brainer to go with the Ruger as I've wanted one ever since I fell in love with the .357. Good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Thanks again everyone...researching and leaning towards the S&W 357, thinkin' I might throw an add on here for a few days and see what happens. thanks.
I have a Taurus .357 7shooter revolver....which is cast from the old S&W casts.
Taurus bought the rights and casts from S&W.
I got the Taurus because I liked the polished aluminum finish over the S&W's chrome finish.
Glad you like the S&W's.
I have 2 other S&W's from the 50's and luv em.
They are very smooth in mechanics.....not to mention stylish and very iconic
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM

My favorite handguns are my Freedom Arms 97 in 357 Mag, and my Freedom Arms 83 in 454 Casull. The fit and finish, are simply amazing. As far as pistols go, I did like my Wilson Combat Classic Stainless in .45ACP.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM

I have a Springfield XDm in 9mm and I love it more than my previous handguns. It's very accurate even with cheap ammo. It has a natural aim point just like a 1911. I loved my Glock 19 a lot for different reasons, had over 30,000 rounds through, carried it for 6 years, but I would not trade my XDm for 3 Glocks.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Thanks everyone...that's why I love these sights, you can learn so much from first hand knowledge.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM

I started with a S&W 586. 357 Mag. Sweet wheel gun! It's a keeper.

Then a stainless Ruger 9mm (P85 maybe?).
Swapped out the Ruger for a cz75. The cz fit me better and I still have it.

Then a Ruger MkI .22 with 6" target bbl. I really enjoy shooting the 22!

I'm quite content with my group of handguns right now .
Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM

As mentioned an out of the box GP100 lacks the smoothness of the S&W 686 but can be smoothed up. However a smoothed up 686 is that many steps ahead of the GP100.
My choice would be the Smith & Wesson. There are lots of grips available to fit your hand and you will likely never lose your money should you decide to sell. Target wadcutter ammo is on the lower price end of centerfire pistol ammo and full house 357 loads can be handled with no problem.