Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Custom Turret

Hey folks.

I am getting a scope for free to try out as part of a pro staffer deal. It's a brand new design, and I am looking for information from people that have had custom turrets done.

I live in the Edmonton area, but do quite a bit of hunting west towards and in the Rockies.

Obviously I won't hunt with a system unless I know it works, I'm not looking to make shots past 500. The scope is going on a 300 wsm in a tikka 3.

Looking for info/recommendations on what I should be using for elevation above sea level, and temperature.

I was thinking I'd use 2400 feet above sea level, I'm currently at 2350, and I would use 0degrees celsius as a temp. Thinking the above numbers would be an average of where I'd be hunting.

Thoughts and recommendations?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM

I used 3000 feet, 0 deg for mine. Now I need time and space to see how it works.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM

What system are you buying or do you have?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM

Just get a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA setup that way you can use it any location, assuming you test it first.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 PM

My brother had these made up. Cheap and you have many made for various temps and bullets for less than one turret.

Look up task force 4 LLC, dial and shoot. Cheaper alternative for BDC dials.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Default understand your equipment & conditions*

In my opinion.. if it's for use during hunting seasons, get yourself a general idea what temps you usually hunt in and the elevation (+/-) in those locations... Rockies/Edmonton(home)/wherever else* and go from there. Will make most sense to do a turret for your home elevation/general hunting temp AND one for wherever you go to the mountains

Generally speaking (and depending on how fine or coarse your click-value is) the turret will be accurate in about 20degree temp-swings.. mine is a .36 click and I use the same turret (at like/comparable elevations) for temps ranging between about +10 & -25 or so... the turret is made for -5* ..that said, at the extreme ends of that (+10/-25) my impact isn't more than one click off (ex: at 700yards that one click is about 2.2" or so) If you understand that and wrap your head around your rifle well enuf, give it that extra click and you'll be bang-on.. (don't) and even still, you'll be well with-in your target anyways... regarding 500y limit, like you mentioned, you actually won't even see a difference* 500 is where those numbers start becoming vital for accuracy*