Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Tick repellent

With the ticks being so bad, maybe this is a solution for some. Reviews are mixed from what I have read but it's made in Canada.
https://atlantick.ca/
FHD
Old 06-15-2020, 11:37 AM

Stay dressed and covered net head cover when walking in the woods and certain talk grass areas. Wear a buff around your neck
Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Most independent tests still find DEET at 30% to be the single most effective tick and mosquito repellent. That along with staying covered, tight sleeves and pants etc along with a shower and close inspection after is still the best option. However, to be fair, I did not see this product reviewed in the Consumer Reports review just released last month. I would want to see independent testing before I would trust a new product.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;4187316]Most independent tests still find DEET at 30% to be the single most effective tick and mosquito repellent. That along with staying covered, tight sleeves and pants etc along with a shower and close inspection after is still the best option. However, to be fair, I did not see this product reviewed in the Consumer Reports review just released last month. I would want to see independent testing before I would trust a new product.[/QUOT
Buy a bottle and try it! No ticks=It works !
Old 06-15-2020, 03:07 PM

Here’s a bit of info that I found interesting.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...epellents.html

I like that “piactive”. Repellant for mosquitos, I’m not sure how it works on ticks as I’ve never had a tick. The label says it works on ticks but who knows?
Active ingredient is incaradin (sp) and that’s listed on the government website as effective.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Nothing will beat Permethrin for tick repellent. I learned this year that it is king. 1st trip this year we were covered in ticks. Treated clothes and got the apray for dogs and not a single tick yet.

In the states all the good tick repellent is permethrin.

Also look at alot of bug control sprays in the store. Permethrin is the main ingrediant in alot of them. I treat our clothes the night before, good for a few washes. Drys odorless and colorless.

Best thing ever
Old 06-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Nothing will beat Permethrin for tick repellent. I learned this year that it is king. 1st trip this year we were covered in ticks. Treated clothes and got the apray for dogs and not a single tick yet.

Also look at alot of bug control sprays in the store. Permethrin is the main ingrediant in alot of them. I treat our clothes the night before, good for a few washes. Drys odorless and colorless.

Best thing ever
All their military clothing is treated too.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 PM

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1245923&rt=rud

Is the best bug dope out there hands down
Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Best thing ever
Trout, do you know where to get Permethrin here? no sprays for sale in Canada that I can find. Another thread mentioned UFA or COOP. UFA has a couple cattle treatments with Permethrin but not sure what product was being used.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
Trout, do you know where to get Permethrin here? no sprays for sale in Canada that I can find. Another thread mentioned UFA or COOP. UFA has a couple cattle treatments with Permethrin but not sure what product was being used.
I order it here and dilute it. They also give directions on how to treat clothes

https://thekoregarden.ca/product/gar...y-insecticide/
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up Ticks

While Deet is the best repellent out there..... best to use in moderation and keep in mind it will melt any plastic it comes in contact with ie Sunglasses, reel handles etc...... best repellent is still being observant in where you walk ie long grass...swampy areas....south facing slopes and wearing proper clothing while out and checking yourself at the end of your activity .... you might even look into some of the Bug Stopper clothing ..... If you use deet better to spray on your clothing.....ankle areas pants draw string type or tuck in your pant leg.... hat brims more for skeeters .....keep in mind ticks are usually within a few feet of the ground climb on and climb up so the check is essential at the end of the day
Old 06-15-2020, 09:27 PM

Awesome thanks. Ordered some. Hate them little buggers
Old 06-15-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I order it here and dilute it. They also give directions on how to treat clothes

https://thekoregarden.ca/product/gar...y-insecticide/
You should dilute the solution so it’s 0.5% Then you can soak your clothes in it. Hang them to dry and they’ll be good for many washings.

As I mentioned in another thread, permethrin is death to cats.
So be careful where you dump the solution and keep them away from the clothes until they’re dry.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You should dilute the solution so it’s 0.5% Then you can soak your clothes in it. Hang them to dry and they’ll be good for many washings.

As I mentioned in another thread, permethrin is death to cats.
So be careful where you dump the solution and keep them away from the clothes until they’re dry.
It gives instructions on that. I dilute mine like I said
Old 06-15-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
It gives instructions on that. I dilute mine like I said
Just providing information... keep your hat on

This is For other readers, so you don’t get indignant:

Any permethrin will work no matter what the concentration is as long as you do the math and dilute it to 0.5%. It’s not always easy to find it in packaging that says it’s “for clothing.” That’s where the math helps.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Banned

https://absorbine.com/products/fly-c...ltrashield-ex/

Sold at G&E Pharmacy in Edmonton, thank me later. lol

That stuff is great, even dog friendly too.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
https://absorbine.com/products/fly-c...ltrashield-ex/

Sold at G&E Pharmacy in Edmonton, thank me later. lol

That stuff is great, even dog friendly too.
Its pretty much just permethrin but more expensive than the concentrate I buy
Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
I looked at some of the horse sprays at peavey mart yesterday. I only looked at a couple, but https://www.farnam.com/all-products/...ntrol/bronco-e and absorbine ultrushield both had permethrin in different concentrations. Please be aware about dilution and the fact that it can be deadly to cats.