Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 PM
sheephunter

Default My How Things Change

As I was driving around town today trying to find a place to fill a propane tank and found out that no one in town does that any more in favour of the trade-in tanks, I couldn't help but think of all the changes I've seen in my relatively few years on earth.

I thought it might be fun to make a list.....

The few that came instantly to mind were:

records to 8 tracks to cassette tapes to CDs to MP3s and all the new formatts that are following

b&w tv to colour tv to HD tv to 3D tv and the end of analog TV

Betamax-vhs-dvds-downloading right on your TV The last video rental store in town is gone now too.

Computers

Internet

and the list goes on. Kinda wonder what the next few years will bring. Okay, I'm really not that old....lol

Any thing stick out for you?

Last edited by sheephunter; 08-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Car seats, I remember the best spots on family vacations was the back window! Now it takes me 10 minutes to strap my kid in.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM

TJ, I'm not much older but I can remember phoning my grandmother when I was young and having to crank up the phone and tell the operator what number I wanted to call. From there to the dial phone, then the touch tone, the cordless phone and now the smartphones, all in less than 50 years.

Craig
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
TJ, I'm not much older but I can remember phoning my grandmother when I was young and having to crank up the phone and tell the operator what number I wanted to call. From there to the dial phone, then the touch tone, the cordless phone and now the smartphones, all in less than 50 years.

Craig

That reminded me we used to only have to dial a 4 digit number then they came out with the 3 digit prefix now another 3 digit area code
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM

remember party lines having to count the rings to see if you where getting a phone call
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
remember party lines having to count the rings to see if you where getting a phone call
Yup, two rings was us! Remember the time when they bagged your groceries, and they didn't ask because they were all paper? And you could go buy a Pepsi and an O'Henry for 50 cents for the pair. Or less....

One thing I miss is the manners...to this day, I still call the neighbors from my hometown that we grew up by 'Mr & Mrs. _______'. Now, every kid wants to call every adult by their first name. I introduce my son to an adult and say this is Mr. such and such, and right away it is 'just call me Don' or whatever. Really undermines the respect for elders thing that got pounded into us, so to speak. Sad that.....and we always took our hats off when we went inside a building, the idea of wearing a ballcap to the table?? You'd have had your head knocked out from under it! And so on......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-18-2011, 04:23 PM

I remember when cochrane was the small town they seem to think they still are, but are not.
I recently left for a friendlier small town that fills bottles at a couple of places lol. And i can park the trailer on the street, and can be huntin right near by.

I also remember when you could just go campin and never worry about findin a spot any day of the week!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM

I am under 40 (barely but it counts as under) and communications are one of the ones I have seen big changes in. I remember at My Oma's house they were on a party line. Then it was Rotary phones, then push button, then cord less then now cell phones with computers in them.

Another one is mobile communication. CB radio to XJ to bag phones to today's cell phones.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

We've seen a lot of changes, but think of our grandparents.

My grandmother was born before cars (in Germany). She went to town in a coach or a sled in winter. The sled was open, her warmth was a buffalo robe, under which was a brick heater with charcoal to keep the feet warm.

She saw the rise of:
  • phone
  • car
  • airplane
  • 2 world wars
  • travel by steam ship
  • travel by airplane
  • man landing on the moon

I know we have seen a lot, but if you think back just 2 generations back from us (those of us in our 50's), they even saw greater changes.

I wonder what's in store for our grandkids?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Vehicles that last longer then 100,000km. Having said though-give me an old muscle car over a new one anyday.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

I'm alot younger than all you old farts but the big changes for me is the out look on life. I use to quit hi paying jobs to go guide. Then I had to give up guiding to support the family. I used to never miss the opener of sheep season this will be 3 years in a row I missed it. Prob miss the whole season for sheep huntin. This might just be called growing up but I dont like these changes.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elko View Post
I remember when cochrane was the small town they seem to think they still are, but are not.
I recently left for a friendlier small town that fills bottles at a couple of places lol. And i can park the trailer on the street, and can be huntin right near by.

I also remember when you could just go campin and never worry about findin a spot any day of the week!
LOL...ya but we just got new garbage and recycling carts today....lol
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM

And the few things that change because of choice, convenience more-so.
Years ago our family would go to the bottle depot, or the Pop Shoppe in Calgary on weekends to return bottles, now we just bin them and the fund raiser groups pick them up. Easier I guess, not worth the effort for a few $.
We'd also wash our vehicles in the driveway, now we go to drive through washes & spend a few $.

TBark
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

ATV 's have sure come alongway's from there earliest contraption's !!!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
ATV 's have sure come alongway's from there earliest contraption's !!!
You mean rubber boots

Ya, I can remember when three wheels was the norm and that was in the mid to late 80s.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 PM

In the building construction industry you used to wait for the courier or mail delivery for project correspondance -- correspondance stuck in the mail was a real term. Then came the fax machine and 3 day turn around was expected and issues with memory fax machines and bids coming in late by fax were an issue. Then came e-mail and the need for quicker turn around and now the BB has raised questions in meetings being sent out with anticipation of instance response.

Time for quality in design and thoughtful interaction on projects has been impacted with the increased pressure of response.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Vehicles have come along ways with the technology in the newer vehicles, it wasn't very long ago that vehicles still had carbs and A/C was a thing to dye for!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Good thread!

One of my fondest memories growing up was doing road trips to visit our Grandparents in a big ol' wood panel station wagon. Every time we would stop for lunch at the same place......an A&W Drive-in. I miss those days.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Taking my new .410 to school to show my teacher

Mom bought our first house. It was $1350.00 fully furnished. The family lived there for 16 years.

Adjusting the antenna on the roof to get better tv reception so I could watch "Get Smart"

Dad bought a new car and everyone, and I mean everyone came to see it

Buying cigarettes for my dad when I was 7. The old guy at the garage would always say to me, " I thought you quit smoking"

Seeing hippies hitchhiking

Watching the election on tv and the anchormen all smoked

Thinking my dad was the strongest guy in the world.... probably could take Cassius Clay
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM

We used to head out to the farm in the fall and spend a weekend on chickens and another on turkeys for various markets and our freezers. Then there was the fall beef & hog taken down, cleaned up, hung and processed.

My wife and I still laugh about her first introduction to turkey lice just after we were married. Ours kids have no idea of what it meant work wise to process a 100 birds in a day by hand.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM

And you could also buy an actual glass bottle of coke for $.05
Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
And you could also buy an actual glass bottle of coke for $.05
From the machine that held the bottle by the neck and u had to slide it out..... then use the bottle opener
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

The few that came instantly to mind were:

records to 8 tracks to cassette tapes to CDs to MP3s and all the new formatts that are following

b&w tv to colour tv to HD tv to 3D tv and the end of analog TV

Betamax-vhs-dvds-downloading right on your TV The last video rental store in town is gone now too.

Computers

Internet
Pretty much mine, too.

Saddens me that I remember that I could go to the corner store with $1, buy a comic book, a coke, a bag of chips, and a chocolate bar, and come home with some change...and now $1 will not buy even one of those.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Stealing a bottle of chocolate milk when the delivery man was delivering to the milk chute that's at the back of the house. Six of us with our 22's going gopher hunting and having the police ask us if we had any luck. Speaking of police - - there was always the one cop that every kid in the area was scared of and rightfully so when he caught you doing something he didn't like.

Dodger.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Pretty much mine, too.

Saddens me that I remember that I could go to the corner store with $1, buy a comic book, a coke, a bag of chips, and a chocolate bar, and come home with some change...and now $1 will not buy even one of those.
LOL...you like made $2.50 an hour then too though.

Video camera went from 16mm to super 8 to VHS to High 8 to Mini DV to harddrives

Film cameras....what are those any more?

Defrosting meat used to take all day...not a few minutes in the microwave and washing dishes meant getting your hands wet.

It is mind boggling how much technology affects and changes our life and how much change we've seen.

Corner stores have been replaced by gas station stores

Now where to find some darned propane...lol
Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM

My grandmother preferred to bake her bread in a wood stove/oven. She's still alive and well giving the staff at the lodge a hard time. She never could tolerate lazy people.

Butchering hogs, chickens and turkeys. Man that was work.

Oh yeah, remember when people used to make their own coffee and then sit down and drink it out of glass mugs together!
Now they send a text message from the Tim Hortons drive thru.

Oh Yeah, remember when ladies would paint their own toenails!
Now they employ every available Vietnamese man and women to trim their hooves.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Gone Hunting

"Any thing stick out for you? "
yep your two feeble attempts to appear younger than you are.

10 cent comic books.
5 cent pop, chips, candy barsand ice cream or popsicles with wooden sticks.

riding my one speed bike with no helmet.

riding in the rumble seat with a couple other kids going for ice cream. No seat belts.

One kid with an eye missing from a bb rickochet.

Spearing bullfrogs to eat. catching snapping turtles on a line, again to eat.

The taverns had all you could muskrat dinners in the spring. Or perch, smelt, pickerel or whatever was in season.

Real tomato sandwiches and ice cold unpasteurized milk.

the perch run in the spring when it took a couple hours to catch a pail full.

Skating on the frozen river for miles.

My buddies dad was a welder. I know, I know, but you can't pick your parents Anyway he and a friend made duck boats for the marsh from welding two car hoods together. They were one man boats and I think the hoods came from late 40s cars.

level winds were all there was. or a 12 foot bamboo pole with about 25 feet of line and a bobber.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM

I remember when guys stopped playing video games when they were 14.
I remember getting a burger,fries and a pop for $2.00 at Harvey's.
I remember going to the Drive In to watch 2 movies.
I remember rushing out the door on Saturday and Sunday morning to go down and check the Drive In parking Lot for fallen change.
I remember not watching the Money segment on the news because I didn't care about the TSX or the Dow Jones. (This was about 6 years ago)
I remember a calculator;a regular battery powered calculator costing over $150.00.
Somehow I remember the cost of Hockey Equipment being the exact same as it is today.
I remember "Raking" the rug in the house when it was time to Vacuum.
I remember "Raking the rug" in the backseat of the car in highschool!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 PM

Getting the strap at school for being ornary, then getting it when I got home for getting it in the first place.I tried hard not to get into trouble twice.
Buying a bottle of pop, drinking it and going in to get your 15 cents.
Asking the cashier for 10 n***er babies and not having to justify anything.
Singing O Canada before class started, and the lords prayer.
Fist fights to settle disputes, no weapons needed.
Hockey with no helmets.
36 cent gas.

Oh the memories.
Tullfan
Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Gone Hunting

you could buy two or three NEW pickup trucks for the cost of an ATV today.

GPS and two way handheld radios for cheap.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand