Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Champion Generator

Does anyone have experience with the Champion generators that Costco sells. I am looking for any feedback on reliability, fuel consumption, and noise levels. I Don't expect them to compare to a Honda but at $300 for a 3000 watt I am intrigued.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Gone Hunting

My Brother has had one for a couple years. It's alittle noisy but works well. He just made a plywood baffle to keep the noise down. Starts and runs, he said he'd buy another.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Default I have 2 champs

I have the one like the 300 Costco model. I picked up mine state side before they started selling them in Canada several years ago. It runs great, powers pretty much everything AC included. My only complaint is loading and unloading as I am getting too old for that weight by myself. I did make a small ramp which works ok. My FIL bought one at the same time ,same trip and he has his mounted in the back of his long bed pickup and has a box built around it and leaves it there all summer. Noise wise it is much quieter than most of those camping gennys but not as quiet as the Honda's etc. that cost 4 times as much. For the price it is a great unit. I also bought their smaller 2000w inverter one when Costco had them on for 100 bucks of a couple months ago. Runs quiet like the Honda types, inverter power, but only weighs 50+ pounds. It is like putting a suitcase in the back of the truck. Runs forever on a tank, light and very quiet. Runs everything but the AC so as long as that is not necessary it will run everything else in the trailer. You can also buy a parallel kit and hook 2 together for a 4k genny. They run about 500 each unless you hit a promo like they had. They also have a slick one that came out last fall as well and it is 4000w I think and has a remote start. For the lazy type you don't have to get out of your trailer to start it. I have not seen it only saw in a magazine. Their customer service is awesome if you need help as well. Mine and FIL machine have been flawless and we have had ours since summer of 2007.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Both myself and a buddy have have one so far so good ,would buy another again . It does what I need it to do,what else can you ask for.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 AM

I have a Champoin 7500 electric/pull start.Runs great.Pretty heavy but has wheels.Even has 220V.It'll run anything.cost 600 bucks or so.If you turn it on &pull choke;its one or two pulls max to start.For electric start just turn key!And the best part is I didn't pay 3 to 5 grand for it!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM

Default Champion 2000w inverter

Bought the little square 2000w inverter from cosco this spring. They were on sale for $400, regular $500. Only weighs 48 pounds and runs good and is very quiet. Ran it all may long weekend sitting right beside the camper, not noisy at all. One of the other couples we were camping with saw it and went and bought one as well. It ran everything in the camper even the microwave, furnace, fridge and lights all at the same time. The other couple used theirs to charge 2 campers at night. It ran all night on the 1 gallon tank of fuel. Just think, you can go through 5 of these and still be money ahead from spending the over $2000 for a honda!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
Bought the little square 2000w inverter from cosco this spring. They were on sale for $400, regular $500. Only weighs 48 pounds and runs good and is very quiet. Ran it all may long weekend sitting right beside the camper, not noisy at all. One of the other couples we were camping with saw it and went and bought one as well. It ran everything in the camper even the microwave, furnace, fridge and lights all at the same time. The other couple used theirs to charge 2 campers at night. It ran all night on the 1 gallon tank of fuel. Just think, you can go through 5 of these and still be money ahead from spending the over $2000 for a honda!

X2 had the same experience on May long weekend . Works very well , my friend bought a yamaha inverter and my Champion actually runs quieter for a quarter of the cost.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM

I run the champion 3500w.

Its a great unit. Had it for 4 years. Use it to keep the trailer warm while I am hunting deer in November. Have not done a thing to it except change the oil & clean the filter.

It will burn about 2 litres of gasoline an hour.