Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM

I wasn't sure if kids are on the horizon for you, but if so, I would wait on the nicer stuff, kids like to destroy furniture
Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Revolve Furniture in Edmonton. 99St and Whitemud. They have amazing selection. They have the cheap to the very expensive. You always seem to get what you pay for.

I always get the "expert" to justify the quality in their product. Show me why it will last.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I wasn't sure if kids are on the horizon for you, but if so, I would wait on the nicer stuff, kids like to destroy furniture
I’ll kennel them!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Yup, kids are hard on furniture.

Had some better quality items from Leons - but you have to search.

For now, we have cheaper stuff (kitchen chairs from Ikea, sectional from Costco etc.) until the kids learn that furniture isn't exercise equipment.

IncrediGirl bought me a La-Z-Boy recliner a couple of years ago - it's broken already, and they really cheaped out on the leather.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 PM

birchwood furniture in Calgary is all made in Calgary and very very nice furnishings and other super quality other stuff too.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Saw dust and glue, saw dust and glue. There's a reason quality furniture is expensive.

Grizz
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Revolve Furniture in Edmonton. 99St and Whitemud. They have amazing selection. They have the cheap to the very expensive. You always seem to get what you pay for.

I always get the "expert" to justify the quality in their product. Show me why it will last.
We bought most of our furniture from Revolve over the past 7 or 8 years as my wife went on a "modern" kick. Made offshore as well as some in Europe. The quality has been excellent and some very cool designs too. Bedroom suite, two leather sectionals, kitchen table and chairs, outdoor furniture, etc.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM

In Calgary there is also Bracko Brothers off Blackfoot near 58th. Some of their dressers and night stands even have hidden compartments in drawer bottoms.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I don’t think that there is. My wife bought a lazy boy sectional worth $5200 five years ago and it is literally falling apart now. Normal everyday use and not abused now that we have a little one in the house anyways lol
I bought all Lazy Boy when we moved into our latest house. Two couches basically $4000 a piece and some wing chairs. Honestly never lasted more than 5 years of normal use in the living room. I will never buy that crap again.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
I bought all Lazy Boy when we moved into our latest house. Two couches basically $4000 a piece and some wing chairs. Honestly never lasted more than 5 years of normal use in the living room. I will never buy that crap again.

Bought a loveseat and sofa from lazy boy. The day after it was delivered they had to come pick up the sofa because some cheap osb literally ripped when I reclined and I'm not a heavy person by any stretch. They fixed it under warranty at least. Not long after that the loveseat broke. The cheap metal mechanism that reclines and raises the leg rest basically folded on itself. I weigh under 170lbs. The loveseat has been broken now for about 2 years, can't be bothered to take it in for repair. These couches are in our bonus room and they have been barely used so we are extremely disappointed with the cheap garbage. The skirts on the backs of the chairs were peeling off so I hot glued them back on. Not what a guy expects when he drops good cash.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Simply Amish has quality stuff that will cost but will last a lifetime
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM

Default Never Old Hippy

I ordered two custom, leather armchairs and a loveseat from Old Hippy somewhere in 2015. Also a quarter-sawn oak dining room table and nine wooden chairs. Ended up canceling the table and chairs and feel grateful to be clear of that company's owners even with the lumpy armchair in the basement.

The furniture looks great and the promise to customize is appealing but the owners aren't reputable. I'd never do business there again. Haven't even tried to get the armchair repaired (seat stuffing lumped up within a few months).

They said they could give me everything I was interested in, named the price for what I'd asked to get, took the deposit. Then, over a period of several months, explained how nearly none of what I'd requested was going to be delivered. Different leather, different wood, different finishes, different timelines.

But boy they were persistent trying to get further payments on the furniture they weren't building or delivering. Invited me to tour their shop as a ploy to get an additional payment. Finished the living room furniture finally and demanded payment for the dining room stuff too. None of this was represented up front.

Finally gave up. Too crazy. Too aggressive. Paid for and took possession of the leather stuff. Ate the deposit on the rest. And felt fortunate to be clear of it all.

For what it's worth, I engage several hundred companies annually as a consultant to owners aiming to reposition. So I do understand the machinery of business and the pressures on small companies. There was a sketchy, psychological dynamic in this deal that's unusual and concerning.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 AM

Solid Wood Superstore

http://www.solidsuperstore.ca/

I'm pretty sure they used to be called Solid Oak Furniture on St.Albert Trail just a block or two north of Yellowhead. They are pricey and most items need to be ordered as they are built to order from out east using quality hardwoods and only take 3-4 weeks IIRC.

All of the furniture is solid, dovetailed, heavy, well finished and has solid mechanical parts and (not pressed/stamped steel).

They have styles from country and traditional, to fancy, to modern and craftsman (which is what we ordered which still looks great).

The leaf inserts in our dining table which is a full set of cut gears running in a machined channel which opens smoothly and doesn't sag.

You pick what you want, style, species of hardwood, your finishes and then select a size. If you are picking off a list they will give you a price on the spot.

If it's custom size like ours was, you get a price in a day or so.

We went custom with the table - the Table was solid 1 1/2" maple top, solid 4" x 4" maple legs and rails with a 3 x 18" leaf inserts (so goes from a big table 80"x 48" for 6, up to a big comfortable table that seats 12 that's 134" x 48"). Table was ~ $3000.

Chairs to match with a soft cushion but solid maple matching the table, chairs were about $400 each.

But the table is solid, has lasted us for years of use and survived a couple moves.

We also bought a side board server, stand up china cabinet - these were also all solid wood, dovetail construction and solid drawer slides - Another $4000-$5000 for these 2 pieces.

Worth every penny.

Some might say they can't afford it, but I say .......I can't afford to buy cheap things anymore.

Last edited by EZM; 03-24-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:18 PM

I been doing a lot of digging on furniture and a lot of good brand names are being made in china now . The reviews on them are not good . Just not lasting long.
Only thing I have found in Edmonton that is not made over seas is Palliser.
I also found most of these outlet stores do not have anything in stock that is worth buying . I figure its worth spending the extra money and order in what you want and it will last for many years not just 5.
If you thought spending $5000. on a Canadian made . power recliner couch is to much ,why would spent that on going leather in your truck.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Reside Furniture on the south side carries a line of Canadian Mennonite made furniture.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-24-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post

X2
The only furniture I’d buy before kids is for the master bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Old Hippy wood furniture.

*Edit*
Looks like it's old hippy wood products.
^^^ This. For almost everything except couches.

It's not exactly cheap but by that same token, it's not cheap.

VERY high quality stuff that will last generations.

https://www.oldhippy.ca/
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Knowing some old Lazyboy staff they told me they went to offshore mfg several years ago and that was the end of the Lazyboyboy we used to know and rave about their quality.
Not surprised it seems many things are being outsourced to places like China. Funny in a way. People usually don’t like China made products