Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 PM

If your going to tow get the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have a 2017 5.0 with 355 gears and the wife has a 2016 3.5EB with 331 gears, I tried to trade her but she would have none of it...
Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Ford if you really, really like the service lounge at your dealership.

Toyota if you prefer to be anywhere else.

What is your time worth during vehicle downtime? What happens when that downtime is not work downtime but scarce leisure downtime.

I had a childhood with a Dad who had a knack for running unreliable vehicles or somehow breaking reliable vehicles and we had many a ruined holiday. This has heavily influenced my vehicle choices & maintenance and pre-holiday vehicle prep right down to packing a well-appointed tool kit.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 AM

I can't say I am a fan of Toyota trucks.
The one Toyota truck (bought new) I did own was a lemon and I had to get rid of it after 2 years. My neighbors Tacoma is also a lemon from what I can tell. I spent most of this Saturday helping him tear apart and rebuild most of the front end - it has 200K km on it mind you but its never been off the pavement.
I've had good success with the last 3 GM's I have owned. 1st one went 365K km with no major issues. Next one 140K km - no issues and I only got rid of it because I wanted the 6.2 and a better towing package. I've got about 140K km on my current Sierra and no major issues - maintenance items only. I always ran Fords before I switched to GM and I had no major issues with Ford's either.
I would have no problem switching over to an F150 if I had to. The 5.0 with a 10 speed seems like a decent truck and I have been looking at one for a 2nd vehicle - there are some screaming deals on leftover 2018's right now.
I know people will rant about the higher resale on Toyota trucks but if one is putting out $10-15K more at the initial purchase you should get more back. It's a no-brainer.
In my case it wouldn't matter anyway as I pretty much drive my trucks into the ground or pass them along to family members - so I could care less about the resale $$$.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 AM

I don't think anyone is ranting.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Toyota is way more reliable then the Ford but the tundra likes to drink fuel
Lemons come from both manufacturers.....customer service and well reliability sells.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Hello folks I’m in the market for a new truck narrowed it down to the 5 litre F-150 10 speed or the Toyota Tundra 5.7 6 speed. This truck is going to have to tow a 6000# trailer and bushwack through the mud and snow in the fall. Witch one you guys pick and why? Thank you for your input
The only the Tundra will not pass is a gas station. With that said, had one and unbelievably tough. We run Fords at work and they are not holding up to the wear and tear of operating in Central AB. Everything from steering lock ups to heater cords not working they have been spending more time in the shop than on the road
Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Lemons come from both manufacturers.....customer service and well reliability sells.....
Research will help you determine which brand is more likely to spend time in a repair shop. If the chance of getting a vehicle likely to go a real long ways while avoiding costly repairs then this is a simple choice.

If it is simply for the nicest truck, better start looking at Dodge and GM.

If people are worried about gas, I'd remind them that shop rates are $120/hr +++
Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Hook up a trailer to either and I think you will find they suck about the same. You can have Eco or Boost but not both.
And this is my experience, having owned both.

One reason I think the Tundras have a reputation for thirst is the relatively small fuel tank (larger fuel tanks are now available in the newer trucks). I often carry extra fuel with me when I'm out exploring.

When I drive ours like an old man, I get fairly respectable mileage.

I did like the amenities of the F150, even little things, like the fact that I can store stuff under the rear seat (used to keep boxes of the kid's books and toys there, not to mention it's a good place to stash your rifles). On the Tundra, I'd be lucky to be able to slip a first-aid kit and tow rope there.

The supercrew limits you to a short box on the Tundra, although it is deeper than the short-box F150, so you can still store a fair amount in there. Just a pain if you want to carry a larger quad.

Also, the information display is disappointing on the Tundra; so much usable space wasted with cartoony icons, meaning you have to scroll through screens to get what the Fords display on one page. But that's just me being nitpicky.

And no integrated brake controller on our Tundra... SMH!

I love how the eco-boosted F150 tows - it seemed to need to shift down less on the uphills. Of course, the Tundra tows amazingly as well. Off-road capability is terrific (although I keep wrecking my skid plate - will get a proper one for it shortly).

Reliability - The Tundra has been amazing. The F150, well, we got rid of it after less than two years due to issues.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Tundra Double Cab offers four real forward opening doors, and room for adults in the rear seat, with a full 6-1/2' box, and the overall length is 4" shorter than a Supercab that has the silly suicide rear doors, and no leg room for adults in the rear seat.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:46 AM

I had a 2009 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L in it. Finally sold it last year with 287km on it. The only repair I had to do to it beyond basic maintenance and service was a steady bearing on the drive shaft.

I replaced it with a 2015 F-150 Platinum with the 3.5L EB and Max Tow, but I thought really hard about buying a 3/4 ton diesel to pull the camper. It's been a decent truck over the past year. If I was towing more or longer distances I would have done the 3/4 ton diesel strictly due to the fact I have a family of 5 and often have quite a bit of gear.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
My boss drives an F-150. Fully loaded crew cab. Very nice truck. Replaced the rear diff 3 times in the first 100k. He drives all Hwy and babies that thing.
Every Ford company truck we've had since 2011 has had multiple rear diff rebuilds.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
My boss drives an F-150. Fully loaded crew cab. Very nice truck. Replaced the rear diff 3 times in the first 100k. He drives all Hwy and babies that thing.
Every Ford company truck we've had since 2011 has had multiple rear diff rebuilds.
I also know people who have had multiple rear diffs and IIRC the dealership said they had no real answer.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Ford if you really, really like the service lounge at your dealership. Toyota if you prefer to be anywhere else. What is your time worth during vehicle downtime? What happens when that downtime is not work downtime but scarce leisure downtime. I had a childhood with a Dad who had a knack for running unreliable vehicles or somehow breaking reliable vehicles and we had many a ruined holiday. This has heavily influenced my vehicle choices & maintenance and pre-holiday vehicle prep right down to packing a well-appointed tool kit.
HAHA

My 2016 Ecopoof has 51,000 km on it. Never seen a service lounge. Do they sell beer?
My 2012 F350 6.7 has 99,000 km on it. Not a single issue, no lounging.
My 2009 F150 4.6 has 320,000 km on it. Never seen the shop for anything other than oil and tires, I did the heater core. The rearend is starting to sing a little, but after this long the truck owes me nothing.
My 2007 5.4 has 285,000km on it and the last 6 years has been doing nothing other than snowplowing duty, which has made the transmission bad. Apparently the trans is known for issues if used for snowplowing, which is one of the reasons they went to the 6 speed. Never been in the shop, but it will this spring.
My 2003 7.3 has 500,000+ km on it. I put a transmission in it at 380,000, bought it without reverse from Ritchie bros. My lounge is a little fridge in the corner of the garage.
My 2000 7.3 DRW was sold with 540,000+ km on it. ZERO issues other than wear points; little front end work, but nothing on powertrain.

Not all fords are evil

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...rankings.html/

Quote:
There’s only one pickup that consistently rates above average for reliability, and it’s the Toyota Tundra. This model has been that way the entire decade, which made it easy for Consumer Reports to predict another strong year in 2019
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...-on-the-market

https://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Tun...parison,278-87

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-19-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM

The comments on here make me think of this.

This TV is super reliable and won't break for the next 20 years:

While this one has pretty average reliability and might break in 8:

Which one should I get?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
HAHA

My 2016 Ecopoof has 51,000 km on it. Never seen a service lounge. Do they sell beer?
My 2009 F150 4.6 has 320,000 km on it. Never seen the shop for anything other than oil and tires, I did the heater core. The rearend is starting to sing a little, but after this long the truck owes me nothing.
My 2007 5.4 has 285,000km on it and the last 6 years has been doing nothing other than snowplowing duty, which has made the transmission bad. Apparently the trans is known for issues if used for snowplowing, which is one of the reasons they went to the 6 speed. Never been in the shop, but it will this spring.
My 2003 7.3 has 500,000+ km on it. I put a transmission in it at 380,000, bought it without reverse from Ritchie bros. My lounge is a little fridge in the corner of the garage.
My 2000 7.3 DRW was sold with 540,000+ km on it. ZERO issues other than wear points; little front end work, but nothing on powertrain.

Not all fords are evil
You have had evil ones too.... Search cam phasers on this forum.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
You have had evil ones too.... Search cam phasers on this forum.
Oh yes you bet, I stay FAR away from 5.4's

I won't buy a 6.0 or 6.4 diesel either.

Just can't say they are ALL junk.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Default No brainer

Tundra all the way. Top notch reliability, bad fuel economy, good price/resale

No ecoboost if you plan to go offroad as the turbos hang in the mud

Ford 5L, 10 spd. Good fuel economy. With a trailer this thing will be searching for gears constantly. Dependability is questionable

Should also be noted that I just bought a 2018 Tundra and it was 5k cheaper than any comparable domestic plus it will resale better. My 3rd Tundra...I am not going back to the domestic junk

Last edited by 300WSM; 03-19-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM

I have a 2011 F150 with a 5L V8. No issues whatsoever other than regular maintenance. Just drove back from the Phoenix area and made it from Great Falls, Mt to Edmonton on a tank of gas with room to spare. My brother had a Tundra, really liked it but got rid of it due to the crappy gas mileage. To each his own.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Yeah Ford is getting very innovative with their eco boost’s and 10 speed transmissions. The tundra has been practically unchanged for over 10 years...
That’s because it works..... crappy on fuel, but a winner in most other categories, particularly reliability.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Your best bet is to go to the dealer, drive both. Check for comfort and level of tech you want/need, then buy.

You ask a ford guy, he says ford. You ask a chevy guy, he says chev. You ask a dodge guy, he just drools and drags his knuckles on the floor, but you get the point.

I don't like the Toyota for comfort, sitting position and I really don't like the interiors. Those are personal dislikes that others might like. I own a Ford. Have owned several Fords and a Dodge. I like the Ford for comfort and convenience. Has the best head room and cabin comfort to me. I am taller and heavier than 95% of the population so I have to take that in to consideration.

At the end of the day any of the major automakers are putting out a good product. Good luck with your purchase.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Years ago we went to Tundras as a field truck for work. Not pulling anything more as a means of transportation and carrying a bit of stuff. Someone had the brain storm that they would be far cheaper in the long run.

He doesn't work there anymore and we have Fords and Dodges. Far cheaper initial outlay and you can afford the fuel. To this day I can't believe how much fuel those things actually consumed for what they were. You might as well have been driving a 460 Ford 3/4 ton.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
Years ago we went to Tundras as a field truck for work. Not pulling anything more as a means of transportation and carrying a bit of stuff. Someone had the brain storm that they would be far cheaper in the long run.

He doesn't work there anymore and we have Fords and Dodges. Far cheaper initial outlay and you can afford the fuel. To this day I can't believe how much fuel those things actually consumed for what they were. You might as well have been driving a 460 Ford 3/4 ton.
You'd think if they were cheaper to run, some of the accountants getting paid $100,000 for Keyera, LaFarge, Graham, PCL, EnMax, Epcor, Atco, etc. would have figured it out by now hey? I very, very seldom see a decaled up Tundra rolling down the road.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Fuelly.com shows a 2018 tundra average is around 15mpg, a 2018 f150 is up around 18mpg
Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM

I was going to pick up the new Tundra... until i saw they didn't fix the horrible fuel economy. I'll wait and hopefully it will be updated in 2020. I cant drive a worst in class anything...
Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
HAHA

Not all fords are evil
Well you proved one thing. If your going to own a ford and want to go anywhere you need to have plenty of spares.

I also love how ford guys can justify all the things that break. A yea, few transmissions, couple rear ends, front ends, hvac systems, drivelines, general wear and tear items. Nothing serious and no engines yet but then I avoid half the engines ford ever built cause they suck. I would have to say they’ve been pretty bullet proof if you ask me.

I don’t drive either brand now but from all the Toyota’s I have owned the only one worth talking about was the 482,000 km on a 4Runner. I did a set of front brake pads, one set of spark plugs and oil changes. The others all got traded in to early to brag about but I had zero issues with any Toyota I ever owned, less that set of spark plugs.

You can’t pretend the fact Toyota’s aren’t the choice of fleet managers that they’re not cheaper overall. Bean counters very rarely look that far down the track. They’re more worried about upfront cost per unit and meeting their quarterly budget.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
You'd think if they were cheaper to run, some of the accountants getting paid $100,000 for Keyera, LaFarge, Graham, PCL, EnMax, Epcor, Atco, etc. would have figured it out by now hey? I very, very seldom see a decaled up Tundra rolling down the road.
When the big companies buy things, vehicles included, the original purchase price is the number one determining factor. It's easy to get good fleet prices on Ford or GM, so that is what most companies go with. I do know smaller companies( 10-20 vehicle) that do use Tundras as work trucks, but the owner is a single person that can buy whatever he chooses, without having to justify his selection.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:28 PM

My Dad had a Datsun/Volvo and Mazda/Bmw dealership growing up. Loved those old Datsun pickups for reliability and ease of maintenance but didn't like the rust. Bought a 92 Pathfinder new for my wife. It went 416,000 km through 2 kids after the wife was done with it. 2 exhaust systems, 3 timing belts done by me, a couple of batteries and that's about it. Sold it a few years ago to a friend for a winter vehicle and it's still trucking.

Been driving mostly Fords since about 85 as work vehicles. Have had a few company Chevy's and even a Dodge. They're all pretty similar but I always liked the looks of the Fords and the fact that they weren't "car trucks" like the Chevys although the Chevys sure rode nice without a load. We switched to Fords for the field a couple of years ago from Dodge. A little more on fleet rates, but so far, have been holding up better with less major issues.

Have had 5 personal F350 diesels now and have had next to no issues, the most serious being a control module on my 2009 that was covered under warranty at 102k. Even my 2006 gave me no grief outside of regular maintenance. A lot of it comes down to the nut behind the wheel and following a proper maintenance regimen. Toyota has always had a high reliability rating but they aren't immune to problems. The chicks really dig the Fords too!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post

I found the same results as you, in the real world. The Toyota's do alright for light duty, not so much if you try to use them as a truck. The gas mileage can be a deal breaker.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Ive been driving Fords most of my life, current truck is an F150 with the 3.5 eco boost. No problems so far but I laugh every time I look at that "green" eco boost decal. Mine really does get good milage when its empty, but who buys a truck for that. Load it up or hook on to a trailer and your into the single digits fuel milage wise. My old 351 Windsor got better milage while towing. I've heard horror stories about the eco boost coming apart so talked to my dealer. He said with most engines you can keep going if the engine light comes on, at least for a little ways. He said DO NOT do this with the 3.5 because you just might find your engine scattered all over the pavement...literally. A friends has since came apart ( timing chain issue) and indeed it was ugly. Huge repair bill since it was off warranty. That scared me bad enough I went and bought extended warranty which I will keep until I sell the truck. My son has a Chev and his had the ADF problem....had to replace all the lifters and some other goodies right after the warranty expired. Cost him almost 6k. Tundra will be my next truck and I wont even have to think about it. Gas milage wont even be considered.I could buy a bunch of fuel for the cost of the extended warranty...