Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Default First hunt question

Hi, I have a question that might sound a bit odd to experienced hunters.

I am gearing up for my first Whitetail hunt this fall. I plan on bringing enough gear to last a few days in the bush.

I'm confused about how often I should/might have to pass on deer that I see? What if I see a suitable deer 5 minutes into the first day? I've brought days worth of gear just to harvest immediately. That seems strange.

How often do you pass on a deer waiting for something better? Any quick tips for knowing when to pass and when to take?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM

depends what you are looking for, and if you are prepared for tag soup.

if youre hunting for meat, shoot the first deer you see. you may not see another one. If youre looking for horn, you might want to pass on the fork horns.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM

As a beginner shoot everything your legally allowed, it will make you a better hunter, shot and field dresser. If you want to be picky don’t expect to learn a whole lot off the start
Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 PM

It all depends on if you're looking for antlers or meat.
Have shot many deer and moose on first day of 14 day hunt. If it is extremely warm you might have to find a cooler somewhere. but if it gets cool at night hang your animal near a stream in the trees and it will keep during the day even into the high teens.
Another trick is after the animal is dressed if there is running water nearby put the carcass in there to get it cooled down as quickly as possible.
If you are after antlers then take your first chance otherwise it could be tag soup.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 PM

I’m a little confused as to why you’d be spending a few days in the bush looking for whitetail? Are you planning on packing a stand/blind in with you and hunting the same spot (away from your camp) for a few days? Whatever your plan I’d be looking to harvest the first decent buck I saw and/or a supplemental doe if you’re in a wmu that allows it.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Shoot the first one you are happy with. Some people are only after bucks, others antlers and some only for meat. If you have supplemental tags then take the first doe and save your general for a buck. It also depends on the area, if you know there are lots of better deer out there then it may be in your best interest to wait, of course this does not guarantee a harvest but its all part of the game. Temperature and distance are a big factor as well, after the kill you have to take care of your meat. No point shooting a deer if you cant get the meat home before it goes bad. Me personally I like to get the harvest out of the way early in my holidays because it gives me more time to process the animal during my days off. Another thing to consider is will the butcher be open when you get your animal back or must you store it over night. I know one fellow who will only shoot from legal light to 2 pm because he cant store carcass overnight at his apartment. Ultimately it all boils down to your personal preference and if your there for a holiday or there for meat.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
I’m a little confused as to why you’d be spending a few days in the bush looking for whitetail? Are you planning on packing a stand/blind in with you and hunting the same spot (away from your camp) for a few days? Whatever your plan I’d be looking to harvest the first decent buck I saw and/or a supplemental doe if you’re in a wmu that allows it.
I don't know the answer to your question. I was under the impression deer were hard to find, so I am bringing a tent and supplies.

My plan was to enter a WMU, wander aimlessly for days until I found a deer to harvest, and then drag it out.

Also, I now know what tag soup means. Learning lots already, thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:44 PM

My words to live by, Don’t pass on the first day what you would harvest on the last day. I know people who have gone without because of passing on first day. My two cents worth.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 PM

What's the Randy Newberg saying? Something like "Don't pass up an animal on the first day that you would be happy to have on the last" When I was growing up I was taught to shoot for meat or to shoot for antlers (still eat the meat of course, just a saying). Shooting for meat is self-explanatory, but if your shooting for antlers, maybe have an ideal goal in mind of shooting a mature buck of a certain size and stick to that goal. Also know that your mind must be at ease if you go home empty handed (although the knowledge you have picked up should outweigh that!).

Once again, maybe "shooting for antlers" isn't a great way of putting it, just something I was taught growing up. Every critter in the woods can be considered a successful hunt for someone. If I were you, I would focus on the range (unless you are an excellent marksman who just does not hunt often) and seize the opportunity if you can get within that range. This can be as easy as a meat doe within 75 yards (or whatever distance you are comfortable shooting at) or 30 yards with a bow.

Just my thoughts!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
What's the Randy Newberg saying? Something like "Don't pass up an animal on the first day that you would be happy to have on the last" When I was growing up I was taught to shoot for meat or to shoot for antlers (still eat the meat of course, just a saying). Shooting for meat is self-explanatory, but if your shooting for antlers, maybe have an ideal goal in mind of shooting a mature buck of a certain size and stick to that goal. Also know that your mind must be at ease if you go home empty handed (although the knowledge you have picked up should outweigh that!).

Once again, maybe "shooting for antlers" isn't a great way of putting it, just something I was taught growing up. Every critter in the woods can be considered a successful hunt for someone. If I were you, I would focus on the range (unless you are an excellent marksman who just does not hunt often) and seize the opportunity if you can get within that range. This can be as easy as a meat doe within 75 yards (or whatever distance you are comfortable shooting at) or 30 yards with a bow.

Just my thoughts!
Regarding the range.

I'm not a skilled marksman. I have a .270 to hunt with, but ammunition isn't cheap. I've been considering buying a .22 so that I can pump out rounds for practice at a much cheaper rate.

Would practicing with a .22 be helpful when I am going to hunt with a .270? Or do I need to practice with the caliber that I'll be making the real shot?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Deer is a little too broad a term to use in this case. Whitetail are certainly not hard to find if you know where to look and understand the habits that drive their behaviour but they have an EXTREMELY keen sense of smell and hearing. Walking around the bush aimlessly looking for them is probably the least likely way to end up harvesting in my opinion(just my opinion mind you).

Mule deer, on the other hand (if you’re in open country) can be spot and stalk hunted because of the way they make use of their environments, again understanding their habits is key here.

Different game require different hunting strategies is what I’m trying to say.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Deer is a little too broad a term to use in this case. Whitetail are certainly not hard to find if you know where to look and understand the habits that drive their behaviour but they have an EXTREMELY keen sense of smell and hearing. Walking around the bush aimlessly looking for them is probably the least likely way to end up harvesting in my opinion(just my opinion mind you).

Mule deer, on the other hand (if you’re in open country) can be spot and stalk hunted because of the way they make use of their environments, again understanding their habits is key here.

Different game require different hunting strategies is what I’m trying to say.
That does make sense. I remember reading that Whitetail run in the blink of an eye whereas larger game are not as frightful, and are harder to scare off.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywc View Post
Regarding the range.

I'm not a skilled marksman. I have a .270 to hunt with, but ammunition isn't cheap. I've been considering buying a .22 so that I can pump out rounds for practice at a much cheaper rate.

Would practicing with a .22 be helpful when I am going to hunt with a .270? Or do I need to practice with the caliber that I'll be making the real shot?
Caliber aside, practicing with an entirely different rifle than what you’ll hunt with won’t help you when it comes time to touch off on a critter. If you just need to get comfortable shooting and understanding how to hold for distance etc. than a .22 could be helpful but you absolutely have to practice with your hunting rifle, not being proficient with your 270 because the relative cost of ammo is greater would be a poor excuse for a bad hit. On a side note, 270 is about as cheap as it gets, I’m sure there are guys on here hunting with ammo that’s $3-$4 per round.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM

You sound young and inexperienced for sure you should look for a mentor to take you out there's a post on here for guys looking to hunt with other guys no need to spend days in the bush looking for Whitetail they're probably close to where you live good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Caliber aside, practicing with an entirely different rifle than what you’ll hunt with won’t help you when it comes time to touch off on a critter. If you just need to get comfortable shooting and understanding how to hold for distance etc. than a .22 could be helpful but you absolutely have to practice with your hunting rifle, not being proficient with your 270 because the relative cost of ammo is greater would be a poor excuse for a bad hit. On a side note, 270 is about as cheap as it gets, I’m sure there are guys on here hunting with ammo that’s $3-$4 per round.
X2. You gotta be willing to practice. If your too cheap to make sure you can shoot then do the animals a favor and wait until your financially sound to practice enough.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
My plan was to enter a WMU, wander aimlessly for days until I found a deer to harvest, and then drag it out.
This made me laugh, because I am in the same position and have a similar default plan.

I am going to try and get out for a bunch of pretend "hunts" in my WMUs before the season starts to just try and find deer. I will be going out with family for a BC hunt in Oct, but want to learn some local areas and how to find 'em.

Decided to go the .22 practice gun route, will be getting a .308 next month. Can't speak to how well it transfers over, but it is so cheap to shoot I gotta think it can't hurt - it is also really fun to just snowshoe around the woods and shoot clumps of snow for an hour or two In the WMU I intend to hunt.

Matt
Old 05-01-2018, 04:50 PM

Get out and shoot!

shooting a 22 is nothing like shooting a .270

Know your limits, do not bother shooting anything if it is out of your comfortable range. Far to many people try for 500 yard long shots thinking they are a sniper.

Read up on sighting in your rifle and scope properly.. and use some ammo to do so. then practice a bunch. If you haven't fired a rifle before, go soot it on 5-6 occasions maybe 5-10 shoots per outing or more if you like.

Get real comfortable hitting a 6" round plate out to 200 or so yards. and you should be able to drop a deer if you see one.

This is how I started and I was able to harvest the first deer I shot at 147 yards in a one shot drop. My first was an average body with a smaller 8 point rack. and it was the only buck I had seen all season. I did have to pass on 2 slightly bigger bucks right at the end of the season as i had already filled my tag. but I do not regret my harvest at all, he tasted great.

Good Luck man! its a great adventure

Last edited by CanadianEh; 05-01-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Wondering around aimlessly. That will help you get exercise. And as people have stated hard to get on a whitetail stalking. But the walking around will get you to see sign, tracks, scat, rubs etc. Then you can hunt the area more methodically. Being out in the bush, not seeing anything is better than not being in the bush in the first place. Send me a pm i can send you some starting areas where you can park then walk. Decent amount of whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 05:29 PM

First timers generally shoot the first presentable opportunity your tag offers. Male or female and are quite happy with their choice. I have been down that road myself and with many first time hunters. After a few meat bucks, you may want to try for a nice buck and on to big bucks lol.

Lots of crown land to set up your tent and stay out for a few days. Scouting is your best bet to find where you want to try. Spend a few saturdays driving to the spots that have caught your interest. Go for a walk down some lines or old trails. If you see good deer trails and tracks. That's a good place to re check when hunting opens. Find that good sign area in the fall, sit and watch that area may be better than endlessly walking around. I like slowly walking down cut lines but you have to walk & spend your time where there is sign.

You could shoot your deer in 5 mins or 5 weeks. It happens. If you fill a tag that quick, be happy about all the gas your saving.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

Where are you located? Might be able to help you out on day 5 when you're thinking wtf and want to give up. Good luck and remember hunting is much more than shooting a animal. I've never been on a hunting trip that wasn't memorable in its own way.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm confused about how often I should/might have to pass on deer that I see?
Hum i am going to think about this for a while
Old 05-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

You will be hooked chasing white tails is a ton of fun. I choose to hold off to November when the rut is full swing but see decent deer all year round. What zone are you planning on hunting?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm a bit stunned at how helpful this has been.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
X2. You gotta be willing to practice. If your too cheap to make sure you can shoot then do the animals a favor and wait until your financially sound to practice enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Get out and shoot!

shooting a 22 is nothing like shooting a .270

Know your limits, do not bother shooting anything if it is out of your comfortable range. Far to many people try for 500 yard long shots thinking they are a sniper.

Read up on sighting in your rifle and scope properly.. and use some ammo to do so. then practice a bunch. If you haven't fired a rifle before, go soot it on 5-6 occasions maybe 5-10 shoots per outing or more if you like.

Get real comfortable hitting a 6" round plate out to 200 or so yards. and you should be able to drop a deer if you see one.

This is how I started and I was able to harvest the first deer I shot at 147 yards in a one shot drop. My first was an average body with a smaller 8 point rack. and it was the only buck I had seen all season. I did have to pass on 2 slightly bigger bucks right at the end of the season as i had already filled my tag. but I do not regret my harvest at all, he tasted great.

Good Luck man! its a great adventure
You guys are right. I do need to just suck it up and go out there and shoot .270's. I'm just entering a new career and broke as hell. But I suppose if I have the money to buy gear I have the $90 to go shoot 60 rounds to prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You sound young and inexperienced for sure you should look for a mentor to take you out there's a post on here for guys looking to hunt with other guys no need to spend days in the bush looking for Whitetail they're probably close to where you live good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I thought about that but I'm the type to dive in and sink or swim. I don't mind a little advice though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
This made me laugh, because I am in the same position and have a similar default plan.

I am going to try and get out for a bunch of pretend "hunts" in my WMUs before the season starts to just try and find deer. I will be going out with family for a BC hunt in Oct, but want to learn some local areas and how to find 'em.

Decided to go the .22 practice gun route, will be getting a .308 next month. Can't speak to how well it transfers over, but it is so cheap to shoot I gotta think it can't hurt - it is also really fun to just snowshoe around the woods and shoot clumps of snow for an hour or two In the WMU I intend to hunt.

Matt
Sometimes you gotta just say **** it and go for it. I fully expect the first time to be a disaster but hopefully I'll learn lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Wondering around aimlessly. That will help you get exercise. And as people have stated hard to get on a whitetail stalking. But the walking around will get you to see sign, tracks, scat, rubs etc. Then you can hunt the area more methodically. Being out in the bush, not seeing anything is better than not being in the bush in the first place. Send me a pm i can send you some starting areas where you can park then walk. Decent amount of whitetails.
Thank you, I'm going to take you up on that offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
First timers generally shoot the first presentable opportunity your tag offers. Male or female and are quite happy with their choice. I have been down that road myself and with many first time hunters. After a few meat bucks, you may want to try for a nice buck and on to big bucks lol.

Lots of crown land to set up your tent and stay out for a few days. Scouting is your best bet to find where you want to try. Spend a few saturdays driving to the spots that have caught your interest. Go for a walk down some lines or old trails. If you see good deer trails and tracks. That's a good place to re check when hunting opens. Find that good sign area in the fall, sit and watch that area may be better than endlessly walking around. I like slowly walking down cut lines but you have to walk & spend your time where there is sign.

You could shoot your deer in 5 mins or 5 weeks. It happens. If you fill a tag that quick, be happy about all the gas your saving.

Good luck
How would a spot catch my interest as you say. I've stared at the map of WMU's and basically go braindead with confusion about where to start, or where I'm allowed to hunt. I'm usually pretty good at internet researching but finding this one hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Where are you located? Might be able to help you out on day 5 when you're thinking wtf and want to give up. Good luck and remember hunting is much more than shooting a animal. I've never been on a hunting trip that wasn't memorable in its own way.
I'm from Calgary. Hoping to hunt somewhere in the southern foothills or mountain WMU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
You will be hooked chasing white tails is a ton of fun. I choose to hold off to November when the rut is full swing but see decent deer all year round. What zone are you planning on hunting?
I have no plan for the zone. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the draw works. Is it limited to certain zones every year? I'm assuming the 2018 draws come out sometime in the summer? I'm also pretty sure that a draw costs a couple bucks and you generally put in for a few in the locations that you'd like. Would that be fair to say?

I'm also confused about supplemental Whitetail tags and can't find much information on those.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

Supplemental tags are good for anterless only. And depending on zone only one of the two tags are good for. There's general white tail tag which you can either shoot an antlered deer or anterless. These are not on draw, draw tags are for moose( most zones are draw only for moose either sex) bison and others. There are plenty animals you can hunt without draws. Very few zones have a rifle season for mule deer. Elk is general in most zones.black bears general which means you go in and buy the license no draw required.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm a bit stunned at how helpful this has been.

You guys are right. I do need to just suck it up and go out there and shoot .270's. I'm just entering a new career and broke as hell. But I suppose if I have the money to buy gear I have the $90 to go shoot 60 rounds to prepare.

I thought about that but I'm the type to dive in and sink or swim. I don't mind a little advice though!

Sometimes you gotta just say **** it and go for it. I fully expect the first time to be a disaster but hopefully I'll learn lots.

Thank you, I'm going to take you up on that offer.

How would a spot catch my interest as you say. I've stared at the map of WMU's and basically go braindead with confusion about where to start, or where I'm allowed to hunt. I'm usually pretty good at internet researching but finding this one hard.

I'm from Calgary. Hoping to hunt somewhere in the southern foothills or mountain WMU's.

I have no plan for the zone. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the draw works. Is it limited to certain zones every year? I'm assuming the 2018 draws come out sometime in the summer? I'm also pretty sure that a draw costs a couple bucks and you generally put in for a few in the locations that you'd like. Would that be fair to say?

I'm also confused about supplemental Whitetail tags and can't find much information on those.
You don't need to shoot 60 rounds haha. Make sure to sight in your rifle, it should take 2 shots maximum. With that, hang a paper plate at 100 yards and try to hit a group within that plate. If you can do that, then that is basically all you need since a paper dinner plate at 100 yards is about the kill zone on a deer. If you want, you can get a pack of the bullets you will be using and just shoot that box. No need to seriously shoot 60 rounds. I started hunting 2 years ago and still have A LOT to learn, but just passing on what I have learned and been told.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM

Find the heavy used sign ahead of time, then sit back keep the wind in your face. Take your time! Shoot the first one you think is right. Take your time again gutting and skinning and enjoy your first deer.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Fz6fj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Supplemental tags are good for anterless only. And depending on zone only one of the two tags are good for. There's general white tail tag which you can either shoot an antlered deer or anterless. These are not on draw, draw tags are for moose( most zones are draw only for moose either sex) bison and others. There are plenty animals you can hunt without draws. Very few zones have a rifle season for mule deer. Elk is general in most zones.black bears general which means you go in and buy the license no draw required.
I thought I read some statistics on Whitetail draws in a couple WMU's near Calgary from 2017. Maybe 404, 406, 408? Are Whitetail draws just limited to a select few WMU's and all others are general tags which you purchase?

Sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean about supplemental tags.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
You don't need to shoot 60 rounds haha. Make sure to sight in your rifle, it should take 2 shots maximum. With that, hang a paper plate at 100 yards and try to hit a group within that plate. If you can do that, then that is basically all you need since a paper dinner plate at 100 yards is about the kill zone on a deer. If you want, you can get a pack of the bullets you will be using and just shoot that box. No need to seriously shoot 60 rounds. I started hunting 2 years ago and still have A LOT to learn, but just passing on what I have learned and been told.
I'm an idiot and over prepare. I'm also worried about missing a shot and having the animal suffer needlessly. But I'll remember what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Find the heavy used sign ahead of time, then sit back keep the wind in your face. Take your time! Shoot the first one you think is right. Take your time again gutting and skinning and enjoy your first deer.
So it's a waiting game is it. I'm good at doing nothing. Doing lots of reading about after the shot. It seems to be the most crucial part.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:31 PM

I agree 60 rounds is alot.. But the truth is, the more you shoot, the better you will be when the time comes. And you'll have the confidence to put the shot through the vitals.

If I were you, get some advice about where to hunt. Many of the wide open spaces (thousands of acres) of public land are draw only. Take a good look at the maps and read the regs.

Also.. It sounds funny. But for my first deer, I had good old Steve rinella help me out. I was totally solo and had never even seen it done in person before. So I had downloaded the YouTube video of Steve gutting a deer. When it came time for me to do the deed. I put the phone on my pack and watched it while doing it. Worked out great. Hahaha.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
60 rounds is perhaps excess but 2 maximum to zero in my experience is also a bit of a laugh. It's possible for a seasoned shooter to get perfect zero with two shots but ime it takes new shooters quite a bit more rounds to be confident in their zero. The paper plates idea is good. I use dollar store balloons in the 8" range and pin them on path stakes hits are instantly known and you get to play around at different ranges. Tying the balloons to a short string will also add movement making them a bit harder to hit. The more rounds you put down range the more confident you will be when the big moment comes.