Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Default Trailer Question

My 2006 Nissan Xterra is nearing the end and the hunt for its eventual replacement is proving more complicated than expected. I'm considering a move to a truck (Toyota Tacoma the current front runner there) or perhaps another SUV (Toyota 4Runner is the only "real" one left in my opinion).

An SUV is perfect for the paddling, mountain biking, skiing, etc. that I do - but not so much for hunting. I have a "hitch haul" for my Xterra to put a deer on, but it's a limited solution. I'm thinking a tough small utility trailer (doesn't need to a be massive trailer) might be able to function as a portable equivalent to a truck bed.

1) Anyone have any experience with "tough" utility trailers that could handle the additional stress of rough logging roads and very mild "off roading"?

2) How much would such a trailer run? I have zero experience in this regard.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM

Im buying a new trailer, selling my current one.

I have been using a tubular steel 6x8 with wood deck for 10 years. Carries my quad and gear behind my SUV. 15” tires. Sides are about 15” high and the back is mesh and drops to form a ramp. It is removeable.
I can haul 1.5 yards of dirt in it. Its rusty and well used, but does the job. 1500 lb winch on it to help pull stuff onto the deck. Tough trailer.

Off roading wouldnt be a real big issue but you really cant twist a trailer around a lot before it pops off the ball. But it’s surprising what you can do. Ive taken it down cutlines with the quad, dragged it behind the suv full of rocks, etc etc. There are lots of these tough little trailers around

Now i need a bit bigger so im after a 6x12. Fits the skidoo better

New they average range around $2000-$2800 with a spare tire.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-19-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 PM

I've been using a small utility trailer for hunting and pull it behind my 3rd generation 4runner for about 7 years. I don't bring it on hard core off-road trails when hunting. I get it to base camp and leave it there. Hasn't been an issue to date on logging roads, just have to make sure everything is strapped down properly as it doesn't have the shock dampening of a truck.