Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Default $1 for AIR!!!!

Had to put some air in my tire today and had to pay a loonie fro air!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Think of it as paying a loonie for the air compressor......
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

I think what you mean is you had to get air and you chose to pay a loonie...economics at work! They're getting you while you have inelastic demand. Get yourself an elcheapo 12V compressor.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

So???...there are damn few "service " stations any more that would require a compressor, so your gas station owner should put out the $$$ for a compressore, outside lines etc. for you to use???.....then his price goes up 1 cent a litre more than the guy down the block and you don't stop there for gas anymore....irregardless of him dinging yo $2.75 for a large black coffee...it's the way of the world....no one will do anything for anyone , unless they receive some benefit.....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM

ya it sucks to pay for that, but if you think of how many years places did this only to get their hoses stolen, ripped out of the wall and the compressor running all night only to blow up from everheating, pressure guages taken, etc!
Likey why they charge a dollar, I bet that income wouldnt cover the costs he has into it.

Like Hal said, it seems the way its going, only cuz the bad apples spoil the bunch.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I think what you mean is you had to get air and you chose to pay a loonie...economics at work! They're getting you while you have inelastic demand. Get yourself an elcheapo 12V compressor.
Supply and demand. Went to Red Deer the other day. Highway was slick as snot, guys driving like idiots and the car was out of washer fluid, so I had to stop by Bowden and buy a bottle . FIVE FOURTY. After I left, it dawned on me that there was a wide difference in the coloration of the bottles sitting in front of the station, which leads me to believe that they were collecting the empties and filling them with diluted fluids. Made sure mine went into the trunk.

Hey, some places you have to pay to use the washroom.

Grizz
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM

A whole dollar? Jeez, things must be pretty rough for you
Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Had to put some air in my tire today and had to pay a loonie fro air!!!!!
Thats nothing.
Wait till you start feeling a shim and you find out its because there is about a cup of water in each one and now....your rims are buggered.

Nobody looks after those things.

My wife topped off a couple times last fall instead of using the pig tank I have at the house and that is exactly what happened to her.
And not just one tire either...nope....all 4.

Thank God the tire guys that sold us the rims decided that regardless of the water...the rims shouldn't have failed like that and covered them 100%.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM

That sucks. But I guess it's a sign of the times. People figure if you need it, you should have to pay for it. But regardless to this situation.......IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD!!! That is all.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM

I had a similar situation, picked up a nail at Basspro earlier this fall. I went to fill my low tire and had to pay $1 to fill my tire. So much for value added service, welcome to the new Alberta, charge as much as you can for everything you can because nobody is in it for the long haul. Charge and gouge everyone for as much as you can get, after all everyone is doing it, why shouldn't you?

Well I filled up my AIR there and then drove to a station in Airdire and filled up with gas and bought a couple of road snacks. That $1 air fill cost that "service" station well over $100 in revenue that day. I use my hard earned money to support well run businesses, the ones that go above and beyond and charging for air is not my idea of a well run business.

I definitely agree with the original poster on this topic.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

I am suprised these capitalist scum don't charge for the bathroom to.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM

lol, its $2 at some places. I have a neat story..

A while ago when I had an Altima for a while I went to the local 7-11 where pretty much all the workers know me, its $1 there. I put a loony in and it never turned on? I put in another and it still wouldn't turn on. I kicked it real hard and tried once more, and still no dice. So I went inside and told the cashier, who happened to be some new guy with small you-know-what syndrome, that I tried 3 times with 3 seperate loonies and it won't turn on, said perhaps its broken and asked him if he could turn it on from his end (I know from when I was a lot younger in my biking days if you ask the cashier nicely they will turn it on for you lol). He claimed it's not the 7-11 that deals with it and said he has no way to turn it on....so I said ask the other guy there (who knows me) if he can do it thinking the new guy might not know where the button is. He said "Listin bud, I know you didn't put any money in it and are just trying to get a free pump up, why come in here and lie to me?

I lost it and said "are you flucking kidding me? I have more cash in my pocket right now than you make in 2 months and jewelry on worth more than your years salary and you accuse me of trying to steal $1 of air?" I told him to watch out who he accuses of trying to steal air next time or else they will lose a good customer, and wrapped up my speech with a couple dirty words, lol. Some guy behind me was like ya why would this guy steal air? Than the other cashier who knows me comes over once he sees all this go down, pushes the air button and said sorry sir, this is a new worker and he had no right to accuse you of that.

It's free coffee's at that 7-11 now for me, all the time now!

And I never saw that guy work there since. LOL!

All over $1.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 PM

x2

Not that a dollar breaks the bank, its the fact that you get nickle and dimed to death.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM

I remember when I was a kid filling up the tires on my bike was free. I won't even pay .50 cents. I bought an air compressor to run my air bags and tires. Why should we pay for air? Lol
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
I am suprised these capitalist scum don't charge for the bathroom to.
YEAH.

And what's with charging for lousy wiper fluid! Capitalist pigs.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
YEAH.

2 totally differnt things.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
That sucks. But I guess it's a sign of the times. People figure if you need it, you should have to pay for it. But regardless to this situation.......IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD!!! That is all.
totally agree that it is not a word but several well respected dictionaries list it as a contraction of the two.........to my disgust and i lost a bet on it.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
YEAH.

I don't have ANY problems with capitalism, I just don't think it is very GOOD capitalism. A smart capitalist will think of ways to add value to his services to attract and keep customers, charging $1 for air insured that I would spend over $100 at ANOTHER gas station. The smart "pig" got more slop from his trough because he knows how to treat customers not gouge them.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Well I know that at a service station the air chuck gets stolen weekly and the compressor has to be paid for. Free air where I gas up but $1 would be fair in my opinion. We don't expect free car wash, the vacuum takes loonies, don't see why air should be free
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Default air

Most service stations will remotely turn it on if you ask them to. They charge now because the repairs to these machines is a constant burden to some stations. So........if you do it a one station, let's do it at all of them!

Many of these units will have a little button to press on the side a little lower out of view that will turn it on without money. The guy I always see at the station pointed it out me.

I wont pay for it. It rubs me the wrong way same way as "shop supplies" when I take my vehicle in for service. Does that mean I can charge a customer "office supplies" because I used a pencil to write something on his blueprints? Thats the cost of doing business and it is called overhead. Your shop rate or charge rate reflects that. When I quote a job for a customer I allow and show what is included so if they ask for extra services or material the fees are legitimate. Part of my quote has an allowance for overhead so therefore I can't (or shouldn't) charges for office supplies.

Geo
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_420 View Post
I lost it and said "are you flucking kidding me? I have more cash in my pocket right now than you make in 2 months and jewelry on worth more than your years salary and you accuse me of trying to steal $1 of air?" I told him to watch out who he accuses of trying to steal air next time or else they will lose a good customer, and wrapped up my speech with a couple dirty words, lol.
So, in other words, you're a douche?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 PM

It wasn't so long ago that $25 would cover a gas jockey filling my trucks tank for me, cleaning the windows (front & sides) headlights and tail-lights, offering to check the oil and transmission levels, as well as the washer fluid, and while they were under the hood, they'd often check the fanbelt too. They'd eyeball the rubber for a low tire without being asked, and happily check the tire pressure with a guage, and top it up, if needed.

Now I do it all and pay $100 for a fill, to some kid behind the counter who can barely look up from his smart phone to 'serve me'!

There's not too many other places where I drop a couple of $100 bills every week and get such consistent lousy service.

If I found one station where I could even count on clean windshield water and a squeegee that wasn't falling apart - to do my windshield - I'd be their loyal customer forever. You'd think that for the price we're paying for fuel, they could at least take care of that amenity. I guess I should be thankful I'm not paying to use the squeegee! COSTCO doesn't even supply squeegees at their gas outlet!

Rant over....
Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyguitar View Post
So, in other words, you're a douche?
No. In other words, I don't deal with lippy foreigners that try and embarrass you in front of 10 other people. Everybody else realized what he said to me under the circumstance was crazy. Like who would accuse anyone of tryong to steal air after I politely go in and explain what happened. (I don't think he really thought I did, he was just being a jerkoff).

But. Thanks for your colourful interpretation of the events ill enjoy my free coffee's while I ponder why I'm such a douche
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 AM

While the wife and i were driving through the states last March while filling up at one gas station i noticed that one tire was alittle low..so i drove over to the hose and there was the sign that said air=$1.00 ask inside to turn air on...so off i go muttering all the way under my breath about the frigging $1.00..so i asked the clerk to kindly turn the air on for me,then back out to the hose i went..after filling up i went back inside to pay my $1.00 and the clerk says..no problem sir,the air is free today for you..i gave him a big thanks and picked up some munchies and drinks...so his kindness of not accepting my $1.00 worked to the stores advantage..gas,drinks,munchies..and off we went happy that we didn't have to pay that friggin dollar for the air...ummm i wonder who won that one.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 AM

When I was 16, I used to work as a pump jokey part time. Full service, station. When a car was brought inside for work, it would get a complete cleaning on the inside. Every once in a while the boss would say, today every car that drives in for gas for the next three hrs gets there windows cleaned inside and out while being fueled. 5 people would go to the pumps and give that car a clean job, check air and fill if needed, check all fluids and top off, even oil,. All at NO charge! Every thing that could be done was done in the 10 mins to fill up with gas. When we were done that customer was so impressed, just the smile on thier face was all that was needed. That was the day that service was a must. You can bet that we had a lot of regulars that came in with the service we had. I have a large 2 stage compressor in my garage and will NEVER pay for air! Have had it for over 12 years. Tires get checked every month on three vehicales. 15 mins and done.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I can't believe that someone would start a thread to complain about something that cost a loonie.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM

All you have to do is walk inside and ask... "Hi can you turn the air on? I don't have any change on me"

It's standard policy for every oil company not to refuse air to anyone that needs it. I've never paid for air and I regularly fill up one tire that has a slow leak.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
I can't believe that someone would start a thread to complain about something that cost a loonie.
X2
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM

why not buy a little air compressor that plugs into the lighter then no one has to cry about a dollar and you will always has air with you.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM

If you want truly free air, start blowin'.