Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 AM
Banned

Default Stolen merchandise

With all the talk these days about theft, and not to limit it to rural crime, it has got me thinking about what becomes of all the stolen goods that must be the proceeds of such activity.

I can easily guess the disposition of cash and jewelry (not that we are speaking of B&E) and gasoline/fuel, but what happens to all the other things and just what are those other things?

Free
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 AM

Like a neighbors personal mechanic truck stolen here in north peace...

All tools, wwlder, compressor, picker?, stripped from truck (found)

Gotta be somewhat organized, and I'm sure it's long gone distance wise.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Thieves don't care how much they get for something they sell a $1000 item for a hundred bucks enough for a days worth of drugs. The buyers are tempted to get something expensive for cheap willing to overlook the item being a little "warm".
Our snowflake justice system supports the system by being lenient on both the thieves and receivers of stolen goods, it sucks we are expected to stand back and let it happen.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:50 AM

They get sold. they turn up on kijiji, and other buy&sells, internet, I'm sure over the years stolen stuff has ben sold on the exchange here. Meth heads , junkies, and other low life will steal a truck for a ride home or for dope or a few hundred bucks. Sell them to someone who tears them down and sells them for parts or if its organized crime and high dollar vehicles ship them overseas to other countries where officials don't look into the background.

As for what they steal they will steal anything they can take and sell easily, golf clubs, tools, lawn mowers, cell phones, quads, snow blowers, bikes, fuel boats, power tools, electronics, computers, lap tops, I-pads, prescription drugs, booze, farm equipment, tractors, bailers, cigarettes, knives, guns, fishing equipment, optics, cameras it goes on and on. They will steal anything, literally anything they figure they can sell for a few bucks or for a lot of bucks. That lawn tractor, that 5 gallons of house paint, plywood, washing machine on Kijiji for a good deal can be as often as not stolen from somebody somewhere. Theft is a huge business and it's everywhere.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Periodically, the cops find somebody' stash of stolen goods, including vehicles and machinery. think this is as much about hoarding as selling the stuff.

Grizz
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

Speaking of stolen merchandise.

https://m.facebook.com/neil.brewer.1...6ftid%3D&mdf=1

How does one hide this?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM

In the Edmonton Area most of the stolen trucks mine being one ,has been stolen 5 times . Always ends up in the Native reserve around St Paul.I guess they just needed away home AGAIN.
This last go around I did not get it back as it was smashed up .
The guys that really benefited was the auto wrecker in that area as they get it for next to nothing.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
In the Edmonton Area most of the stolen trucks mine being one ,has been stolen 5 times . Always ends up in the Native reserve around St Paul.I guess they just needed away home AGAIN.
The guys that really benefited was the auto wrecker in that area as they get it for next to nothing.

SOP for many reserves is to call an ambulance, make up some fake health problem for a ride into town, then steal a vehicle for a ride home.

Rural (and urban) crime is getting ridiculous. If only there were consequences for crime. If only good, hard working people had a right to defend their property.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Banned

Imagine most vehicles go to chop shops...a major one was busted last year in Edmonton just off Fort Road...looked like a legitimate body/repair shop but more than $600,000.00 worth of stolen vehicles were on the property.
I'm in the camera biz and cameras shops are a popular destination for thieves. There has been an organized group operating in Alberta/BC the last couple of years...most of the stolen merchandise goes to Asia.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
SOP for many reserves is to call an ambulance, make up some fake health problem for a ride into town, then steal a vehicle for a ride home.

Rural (and urban) crime is getting ridiculous. If only there were consequences for crime. If only good, hard working people had a right to defend their property.
Yes the reserve out my Alberta beach is known for using Ambulance as a Taxi
I was fishing off the bridge and it seemed every hr a Ambulance would drive my.
I wish they would just drive them to a remote hospital in a small town. And not to a city of their choice where they have BINGO .
Old 03-17-2018, 09:57 AM

A family member of mine is an RN at a hospital in the town next to a Rez. It is apparently very common for all symptoms to disappear once the person gets to the hospital. Some even bring their overnight bag and one guy brings his guitar with him every Friday afternoon. Expensive taxi tying up life saving crews. You can’t refuse them though or that would be discrimination and a law suit would follow.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Speaking of stolen merchandise.

https://m.facebook.com/neil.brewer.1...6ftid%3D&mdf=1

How does one hide this?
Already found in Chilliwack. I guess they didn't think that one out very well!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 AM

A while back I knew of an old farm house that sat empty. Had no windows or anyone living on the yard. Drove past it all the time. It turns out thieves were stashing all their stolen goods there. When the police discovered the place there were motorcycles in one room, 2 boats in the old barn, and hundreds of every kind of smaller stolen items ranging from cameras to jewelry. And under an old bed were thousands of dollars stashed. I think there was around 75K.

So check your outbuildings if you have any old farmyards.

Out towards Drayton Valley last year the police caught some thieves and found loads of stuff stashed in the bush.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Stolen Merchandise

Over the years I have had so much stolen from our place, I probably cannot remember most of it.
Items include, 14' boat, boat motor, 2 Atv's, 2 dirt bikes, 2 snowmobiles, trailers, tools lawn tractor, boots, clothes, all the the dishes, pots and pans from our cabin, chainsaws, power tools, I could go on and on.
Aside from the personal items, everything was marked, and personalized with name, ID, etc. NEVER ever saw anything again.
RCMP took our list hoping something would show up, but that was a waste of time.
But, we are now going to get 39 new officers to spread out over the province.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
A family member of mine is an RN at a hospital in the town next to a Rez. It is apparently very common for all symptoms to disappear once the person gets to the hospital. Some even bring their overnight bag and one guy brings his guitar with him every Friday afternoon. Expensive taxi tying up life saving crews. You can’t refuse them though or that would be discrimination and a law suit would follow.
Ground ambulances are cheap compared to the flying patients out of northern reserves for the same symptoms.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-17-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Over the years I have had so much stolen from our place, I probably cannot remember most of it.
Items include, 14' boat, boat motor, 2 Atv's, 2 dirt bikes, 2 snowmobiles, trailers, tools lawn tractor, boots, clothes, all the the dishes, pots and pans from our cabin, chainsaws, power tools, I could go on and on.
Aside from the personal items, everything was marked, and personalized with name, ID, etc. NEVER ever saw anything again.
RCMP took our list hoping something would show up, but that was a waste of time.
But, we are now going to get 39 new officers to spread out over the province.

When my stolen truck was recovered,I noticed in the recovery pictures that there were two pop can in the holders......Did they take finger prints ...nope.

I can understand they might not have a criminal record.No prints to compare.

I think enough is enough.. Every one that renews their drivers licence must have their finger prints taken. No more slap on the hands if you steal a car.
They loose their lience along with other reg fines.Like full repairs to the car you stole etc.

Need to hirer 39 finger printing cops .
Old 03-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Ground ambulances are cheap compared to the flying patients out of northern reserves for the same symptoms.
Not a word of a lie..........A Cormorant and crew dispatched to a remote northern coastal village for a med-evac. "Patient" hops off gurney at hospital and says "thanks for the lift, fellas". 20 hours running time off the helo and 20 hours away from a real SAR.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 AM

Saw this in news paper
An Edmonton couple thought they had finally found their dream RV when they spotted an online classified ad in July of 2017. A month later their dream vehicle had been seized by police and they were out over $19,000.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
When my stolen truck was recovered,I noticed in the recovery pictures that there were two pop can in the holders......Did they take finger prints ...nope.

I can understand they might not have a criminal record.No prints to compare.

I think enough is enough.. Every one that renews their drivers licence must have their finger prints taken. No more slap on the hands if you steal a car.
They loose their lience along with other reg fines.Like full repairs to the car you stole etc.

Need to hirer 39 finger printing cops .
Not a chance. Might as well take blood samples and a full genome as well. That's some straight up Orwellian thinking. I'm sorry bad things happen but I'm not giving up my prints or anything else to drive. What makes you think not having a licence will stop thieves from stealing a car?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 AM

I think the real solution is to provide a significant enough deterrent that the risk to the thieves getting caught is too high. Right now, they are barely prosecuted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I think the real solution is to provide a significant enough deterrent that the risk to the thieves getting caught is too high. Right now, they are barely prosecuted.

X2, that is what should be done, make it high risk, if the threat didn't scare you enough face real punishment.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM

Where does the stuff go? Good question, have a look at kijij I etc. I see so many brand new clothes with pried tags attached, that I have no doubt where some of it goes.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
If my truck had been stolen three times from the same area, in a short period, I would use it as bait to hunt truck thieves.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Where does the stuff go? Good question, have a look at kijij I etc. I see so many brand new clothes with pried tags attached, that I have no doubt where some of it goes.
Pawn shops!!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default I found it on the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post

Except that we are past that. I'm looking for stricter enforcement and prosecution for the people who buy these goods at cut-rate prices and pretend they are doing a fair trade. Who in the world believes that an honest man would sell a $1300.00 item, barely used, for $500.? Do you buy the item without a warranty or do you prefer to see it banged up and elderly looking for that price?

As for those few guys on here that are determined to turn every thread into a racist declaration, maybe you should take an ambulance ride of your own.

Free
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Not worth it

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM

The problem will not go away, thieves don't seem to care about risk, they used to cut the hand off a thief, but still left him with one hand, so now he could only steal small things that he can lift with one hand! But didn't seem to stop the problem. Not sure what the solution is.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Pawn shops!!
How often do you hear about legitimate, licensed businesses being busted for receiving stolen property? You'd think that any tax-paying storefront would be required to keep accurate records; I.D.'s easily verified and all that.

Free
Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
The problem will not go away, thieves don't seem to care about risk, they used to cut the hand off a thief, but still left him with one hand, so now he could only steal small things that he can lift with one hand! But didn't seem to stop the problem. Not sure what the solution is.
cut off both hands at the neck

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

Who would do those beheadings, I wonder? It would have to be a rather large man with a lot of strength so as not to botch it with the first blow. Or maybe sadistic enough to hack it off- although some folks are a bit too squeamish for that stuff. It would have to be someone who looks good in a black head wrapping. Also someone who has a lot of time on his hands and a machine shop to keep his make his blades and keep them sharp. Maybe own some drone mounted cameras to catch the action, plus the skills to post the videos on the internet.

Of course a (person) with a background in law and order and a sense of civic pride would be an ideal candidate. A guy with few friends and no close relatives would be best but not a stumbling block for enlistment. Also he (or she) would have to be trainable on a portable crematorium and a backhoe. Think of the recruitment campaign! Be fun to do the interviews.

But I digress. The topic is the disposition of stolen goods, not your desire to execute anyone you don't like.

Free