Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Crossing Rivers

I was out scouting this weekend, and had more trouble with river/creek crossings than I suspected. Most don't show up on maps or google earth, I guess that's why scouting is so important! With all the rain this year I suspect most streams will be higher than normal. The water was just above my knees and flowing pretty quick. I was able to just roll up the pants and wade across but it was a little sketchy and when the weather gets colder I doubt it'd be possible. How do you handle these obstacles? I noticed some lucky folks using quads or horses but don't have those at my disposal.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outer...weight-waders/

I came across these a while back, haven't picked up a pair yet but they look like they would work good.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin View Post
http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outer...weight-waders/

I came across these a while back, haven't picked up a pair yet but they look like they would work good.
I've been using these for a long time, 8+ yrs, love it
Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Rivers

We use crocs and parachute cord to tie them on our feet so they don't float away. The spot we hunted two years ago had 6 or 7 crossings and they all went well. If it's really cold and only one crossing we carry hip waders and just stash them by the river. Putting on frozen waders and crossing a frozen fiver is a treat that everyone should experience.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
We use crocs and parachute cord to tie them on our feet so they don't float away. The spot we hunted two years ago had 6 or 7 crossings and they all went well. If it's really cold and only one crossing we carry hip waders and just stash them by the river. Putting on frozen waders and crossing a frozen fiver is a treat that everyone should experience.
I just carry an old pair of running shoes for that, much more secure on your feet and better grip. Good walking stick also helps. Still hear about the time I talked the BIL into tying garbage bags on our feet. Gonna be some wicked crossings with all this rain. Important to make sure you can ditch your rifle if you do fall.

Grizz
Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM

Rain pants with the cuffs taped over good waterproof hiking boots will get you through pretty deep sections.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I just carry an old pair of running shoes for that, much more secure on your feet and better grip. Good walking stick also helps. Still hear about the time I talked the BIL into tying garbage bags on our feet. Gonna be some wicked crossings with all this rain. Important to make sure you can ditch your rifle if you do fall.

Grizz
Runners do work well but they don't dry out and I like to wear the crocs at camp. There must be some funny stories out there about river crossings....
Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I've been using these for a long time, 8+ yrs, love it
The reason I'm attracted to this option over all the others listed here is that you don't have to waste a huge amount of time taking off your boots and then putting on your crossing shoes, and then repeating on the other side. Those look like they would slip on and off fast. My only concern might be them slipping a lot in rocky, fast current because they are not tight.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The reason I'm attracted to this option over all the others listed here is that you don't have to waste a huge amount of time taking off your boots and then putting on your crossing shoes, and then repeating on the other side. Those look like they would slip on and off fast. My only concern might be them slipping a lot in rocky, fast current because they are not tight.
The only downside I’ve found with the wiggys waders is durability. Crocs and contractor bags are much cheaper and hold up. Plus both items have a dual purpose once in camp. Don’t have to strip right down, just pull your boots off.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Crossing Rivers

Not sure whether anyone has covered this yet:

Stream flows are near their peak at this time of year, both for glacier and snow melt-fed rivers and creeks, as well as for rainwater fed ones, due to the deluge of rain that we have had in June. The Athabasca in Jasper is cranking right now.

When we began sheep scouting in May/June/July several years ago, we were discouraged by dangerous and high flow from most of the creeks we were hoping to ford.

By mid and late August, unless the rains have continued unabated, the streams will be significantly lower in most areas. I rely on this website for flow rates, both historical and current. Crossings will get way easier and safer.

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/search/real_time_e.html

... and make sure to have your backpack unclipped while crossing water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Not sure whether anyone has covered this yet:

Stream flows are near their peak at this time of year, both for glacier and snow melt-fed rivers and creeks, as well as for rainwater fed ones, due to the deluge of rain that we have had in June. The Athabasca in Jasper is cranking right now.

When we began sheep scouting in May/June/July several years ago, we were discouraged by dangerous and high flow from most of the creeks we were hoping to ford.

By mid and late August, unless the rains have continued unabated, the streams will be significantly lower in most areas. I rely on this website for flow rates, both historical and current. Crossings will get way easier and safer.

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/search/real_time_e.html

... and make sure to have your backpack unclipped while crossing water!

The Brazeau on Saturday.

Grizz
Old 07-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The Brazeau on Saturday.

Grizz

How was the fishing? lol

Old 07-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Just stick 2 garbage bags into your pack, step into them and walk across. Or just one and hop like your in a sack race lol
Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 PM

When I know I will have a river to cross, I carry sandals on my pack for the purpose. Lightweight and effective. Roll up the pant legs or, if it is mid thigh deep or deeper, in your shorts.
A buddy has Wiggy Waders, but put a holes in the bottoms fairly quickly. Like my idea better. I also have a small towel, like a Chamwow (sp?), made by Umpqua called a Wondercloth. Super light and works very well to dry with quickly. Can be a little chilly, depending on the time of year, but drying off and rebooting I get warm again quickly.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchtater View Post
Just stick 2 garbage bags into your pack, step into them and walk across. Or just one and hop like your in a sack race lol
Did that once with my Brother in Law, about 50 years ago. he still reminds me about it.

Grizz
Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Banned

If the outside temperature dictates:

Old 07-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Yuppers, the levels will drop by fall,,, mountain run off is well underway right now...

👍
Old 07-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Good gators will keep you dry and get you across smaller streams (knee deep)without changing out of your good waterproof hunting boots,but you need to move quickly/don’t lolligag or stand there midstream fishing,lol.
I wouldn’t expect the same high water levels in the fall as we have right now,the rain has been relentless throughout NW/west central AB the last few weeks,all the rivers and creeks in my area are torrents of raging chocolate milk right now.
Creeks that I can normally jump across or skip across in gators in a few quick steps come September/October I wouldn’t even attempt with chest waders right now!
Old 07-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
When I know I will have a river to cross, I carry sandals on my pack for the purpose. Lightweight and effective. Roll up the pant legs or, if it is mid thigh deep or deeper, in your shorts.
A buddy has Wiggy Waders, but put a holes in the bottoms fairly quickly. Like my idea better. I also have a small towel, like a Chamwow (sp?), made by Umpqua called a Wondercloth. Super light and works very well to dry with quickly. Can be a little chilly, depending on the time of year, but drying off and rebooting I get warm again quickly.
I do pretty much the same thing (sandals and light towel). It's never fun crossing a cold river in October/November when there's snow on the ground, but I've done it a number of times before. I won't go into water deeper than my knees in those times of year, and if it takes too long to cross it gets painful. But once I'm across I just towel off, put on my socks and boots, and keep going.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Banned

Crossings can be dangerous
Be careful