Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven65lunatic View Post
Trapped on and off forever and yes, I was asking [digging] if snares had been tested yet because the last I heard they hadn't. This thread is old but I didn't see it as addressing the humane issue and still don't. Many traps are certified but as far as I have heard snares are not. Does anyone know?
maybe you can refresh your memory by reading the AIHTS at fur institute of Canada
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default humane snaring ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partimehunter View Post
maybe you can refresh your memory by reading the AIHTS at fur institute of Canada
I did as advised and am quite confused. I found out that all traps/snares had to be tested by 2007 and if not completed by then could still be used as long as research into improving them continues. I could find no research into snaring other than the possible testing of snares in Quebec which had stops on them turning them into restraining devices rather than humane killing devices.

A humane death for a wolf must occur within 300 seconds of capture 80% of the time. Existing snares as defined in the reg's could not possibly meet this criteria. Until govt tests snares there is no certification they are inhumane, and can be called a killing device [no time limit to death] This would be why they haven't been tested.

Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, I found the entire thing confusing and hard to understand.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I did as advised and am quite confused. I found out that all traps/snares had to be tested by 2007 and if not completed by then could still be used as long as research into improving them continues. I could find no research into snaring other than the possible testing of snares in Quebec which had stops on them turning them into restraining devices rather than humane killing devices.

A humane death for a wolf must occur within 300 seconds of capture 80% of the time. Existing snares as defined in the reg's could not possibly meet this criteria. Until govt tests snares there is no certification they are inhumane, and can be called a killing device [no time limit to death] This would be why they haven't been tested.

Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, I found the entire thing confusing and hard to understand.
you don't think stinger snares or ram power snares can meet this criteria?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by partimehunter View Post
you don't think stinger snares or ram power snares can meet this criteria?
Stinger snares and fine wire mostly seem to have a good reputation, but all I'm familiar with are the cam-loc and alberg with 3/32 which won't do it. The Ram snares scare me and are too expensive, hard to hide, just don't think they are practical. The biggest factor to me was always getting the proper position on the coyotes neck. Just wasn't consistent and it seemed to show up in the time it took the coyote to die, also how it tangled up.

Why don't the govt get on with it, the way it is now there's not even a check time requirement because they are "killing devices". Very misleading I think, and they aren't going to avoid it forever.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Some people will just keep digging, until the damn hole is too deep to jump or crawl out of and that appears what could happen here ...S.S.S....
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM

X2
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Stinger snares and fine wire mostly seem to have a good reputation, but all I'm familiar with are the cam-loc and alberg with 3/32 which won't do it. The Ram snares scare me and are too expensive, hard to hide, just don't think they are practical. The biggest factor to me was always getting the proper position on the coyotes neck. Just wasn't consistent and it seemed to show up in the time it took the coyote to die, also how it tangled up.

Why don't the govt get on with it, the way it is now there's not even a check time requirement because they are "killing devices". Very misleading I think, and they aren't going to avoid it forever.
Personally have had no problem with 3/32 cable cam lock and kill spring. Anchor the snare solid and as high as I can running 10-15ft snares with a 10 inch loop. I also avoid setting locations that do not allow me to make perfect catches.

I will stand by it that if snares are set with care and correctly you should have fast kills. If they did not I would not use them do to fur damage and respect for the animals I trap.

If you are getting poor catches you need to change how you are snaring. Snares are just like any other tool used correctly you get good results.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Personally have had no problem with 3/32 cable cam lock and kill spring. Anchor the snare solid and as high as I can running 10-15ft snares with a 10 inch loop. I also avoid setting locations that do not allow me to make perfect catches.

I will stand by it that if snares are set with care and correctly you should have fast kills. If they did not I would not use them do to fur damage and respect for the animals I trap.

If you are getting poor catches you need to change how you are snaring. Snares are just like any other tool used correctly you get good results.

Didn't say "poor catches", "great catches", or "bad catches". Was wondering if snares are humane under the treaty Canada has signed and from what I have seen and read, including on this board , I am doubtful. Being somewhat suspicious of the government I think this may be the reason they haven't tested them; they have had six years. We are not all perfect unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Didn't say "poor catches", "great catches", or "bad catches". Was wondering if snares are humane under the treaty Canada has signed and from what I have seen and read, including on this board , I am doubtful. Being somewhat suspicious of the government I think this may be the reason they haven't tested them; they have had six years. We are not all perfect unfortunately.
Testing is still far from complete. They are still working on certifying coni's and footholds for some species. They are even starting to test box traps. It may just be on the list of untested traps.

The fact that testing is not complete for many other styles of trap I would not get too suspicious about snaring yet. Takes a lot of time and $ to test all trapping methods

I would not be shocked that regs on types of lock and how snares are constructed changes in the future.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
How do you find the time? This is the peak of Lemming Leaping Season and yet here you are saving wolves and challenging trapping procedures. If your here who's passing out the mini flotation devices in Norway? So many causes so little time.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM

A well made well hung snare kills fast. They are not a choking device but instead are meant to cut off the blood flow to the brian.

Done right snaring is a fast humane kill
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 PM

There is a video on YouTube where a trapper walks up on one of his ram power snares where a coyote has just run into, takes less than 2 minutes for it to expire. One or two lunges and it laid down and went to sleep, looked pretty humane to me. Any snare that doesn't leave a catch circle is an indication of a quick humane kill
Closed Thread