Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
That’s pretty much what I’ve read and the video of the altercation is no different.

Running pretty much sealed their fate. Could have been a different trial if they had called the authorities as soon as the shooting ended.
Or better yet, call the police instead of chasing after them.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Or better yet, call the police instead of chasing after them.
Therein lies part of the problem. Rural crime has surged, and residents can't wait hours or days for police to (maybe) respond. It has left them frustrated, and when people are frustrated and don't feel they have any recourse, they make terrible decisions and take matters into their own hands. Sometimes with life ending results.

That is not a defense for the men convicted of killing two other men. Just saying that there are some serious underlying problems that contributed to this tragic outcome.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-22-2022, 06:42 PM

I agree and most people should agree with your presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
From what I've gathered from the video and all the info released on the event/trial, I've noticed that some of the triggers leading up to the altercation were discussed my news/media very little as a contributor to what took place.

-both of the deceased were 2 to 3 times over the legal limit driving in a vehicle with a firearm(s) and outside of the area they were previously subsistence hunting. Regular daylight hunting hours had been over for awhile.

-the deceased pulled into a residence that there was no previous connection to. That day there had been numerous unknown vehicles coming into the yard/property unannounced while the father Roger was away. His family at home was on edge when he got home later in the day.

-When Roger got home and chose to follow the deceased that pulled into his driveway/yard and caught up to them at the T intersection, the younger of the two deceased left his vehicle first and engaged in a physical confrontation with him and his young son while they were both still in Roger's truck.

-When the son Anthony pulled up to the scene, the younger of the two deceased left the altercation he was having with Roger and went straight towards Anthony even with him having a firearm in his hands. What outcome would have transpired if the younger guy had overpowered Anthony?

-When Anthony shot the younger guy, the older guy definitely pulled a firearm off the back seat of the truck and was pointing it at Anthony. There was conflicting info on this but the video pretty clearly shows a firearm in the older deceased hands before Anthony shot him as well.

At the end of the day, many people and families were destroyed and affected by what happened that night. Many bad decisions were made by both sides, some were exhausted by the media and others like above not discussed as much.

My two cents....
Old 09-22-2022, 06:43 PM

Changing his story after he realized the cover up wasn't going to fly destroyed any credibility he had.

During the first interview with Sgt. Christian Reister, Roger Bilodeau said he'd never had any break-ins or problems with poachers on his rural property just outside the village of Glendon, about 215 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

The officer suggested the shootings could have been "completely justifiable."

"I sympathize with what rural people are going through with crime," Reister said. "I get that somebody shows up to steal your stuff that you worked hard for… I get how sometimes there's even gunplay."

Bilodeau said he really hadn't seen anything on the night the two men were shot just a few kilometres away from his house.
"I don't know what's going on here," Bilodeau told the officer. "I have nothing to hide."

When the officer showed him a picture of the two victims, Bilodeau said he didn't recognize them. He agreed to take a polygraph.

Reister asked, "Did you shoot these people?"

Bilodeau said, "No," without any hesitation.

Bilodeau changes story

read more
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ters-1.6460185
Old 09-22-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Therein lies part of the problem. Rural crime has surged, and residents can't wait hours or days for police to (maybe) respond. It has left them frustrated, and when people are frustrated and don't feel they have any recourse, they make terrible decisions and take matters into their own hands. Sometimes with life ending results.

That is not a defense for the men convicted of killing two other men. Just saying that there are some serious underlying problems that contributed to this tragic outcome.
CORRECT-A-MUN-DOUGH

I thought part of the problem they faced was

—-drove away
—- destroyed the gun? Or something like that
Old 09-22-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
I agree and most people should agree with your presentation
Agree as well
Old 09-23-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
That’s pretty much what I’ve read and the video of the altercation is no different.

Running pretty much sealed their fate. Could have been a different trial if they had called the authorities as soon as the shooting ended.
100% agree Posi.....
Old 09-23-2022, 09:16 PM

I took a look at video again and was wondering what you people think of .48 to .57 timeline.
Text on video says Bilodeau was trying to run the young hunter over, (defence deny this of course) sure looks that way to me, it was probably this action by Bilodeau that triggered the physical altercation.

This elder Bilodeau must be a real hothead as he admits they never had a break in or problems on his rural property yet chases a vehicle that pulls into his yard. Why the heck didn't he just look around his property to see if there's anything missing before giving chase.
Then he tries to run down the young hunter when he gets out of his truck at the stop sign.

I can't believe this Bilodeau laughed when asked how many times his son shot at the hunters. I really hope his appeal is unsuccessful and more time is added, he certainly deserves it.

Tommy
Old 09-24-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I took a look at video again and was wondering what you people think of .48 to .57 timeline.
Text on video says Bilodeau was trying to run the young hunter over, (defence deny this of course) sure looks that way to me, it was probably this action by Bilodeau that triggered the physical altercation.

This elder Bilodeau must be a real hothead as he admits they never had a break in or problems on his rural property yet chases a vehicle that pulls into his yard. Why the heck didn't he just look around his property to see if there's anything missing before giving chase.
Then he tries to run down the young hunter when he gets out of his truck at the stop sign.

I can't believe this Bilodeau laughed when asked how many times his son shot at the hunters. I really hope his appeal is unsuccessful and more time is added, he certainly deserves it.

Tommy
I have to agree the crime in rural areas is insane and the response from law enforcement is sub par. This needs to be addressed, but Bilodeau's reaction does not fit.
He gave chase to some people who entered his yard? I can see get a license plate number and make sure they know you saw them. Maybe put up a gate to your lane to avoid people entering your driveway.
Sr Bilodeau deserved a beating when after chasing these guys, then attempting to block their vehicle he tried to back over one. What are you thinking?
Old 09-24-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
It appears that they both stop at the intersection side by side the native gets out and approaches the passenger side of the farmers truck and according to a witness statement was screaming at the farmer and punching the window, the farmer then makes a right and drives 20 or so yards down the road to get away from the assault and stops, the native starts walking down the road towards them to continue the assault, that's when the farmer gets stupid and tries to back into the native. I see absolutely no blocking in of the natives truck.....
The witness in this case was the son of Bilodeau, that family had a lot of time to come up with a good story.
I do see the HUNTER getting out of his truck, but I don't see any punching of Bilodeau window at that time. Sure, looks like there was some talking going on but with no audio hard to say if it was screaming. I do agree that it looks like elder Bilodeau didn't block the Hunters truck in but moves further up the road probably to get a better aim to run the hunter over and of course the more room he has between his truck and target gives him time to follow should the target scramble to get out of the way.

Tommy
Old 09-24-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The witness in this case was the son of Bilodeau, that family had a lot of time to come up with a good story.
I do see the HUNTER getting out of his truck, but I don't see any punching of Bilodeau window at that time. Sure, looks like there was some talking going on but with no audio hard to say if it was screaming. I do agree that it looks like elder Bilodeau didn't block the Hunters truck in but moves further up the road probably to get a better aim to run the hunter over and of course the more room he has between his truck and target gives him time to follow should the target scramble to get out of the way.

Tommy
The elder Bilodeau had already had the younger guy come up to his side trying to pull him from his truck. From what I saw in the video, he was trying to turn his truck around and get out of Dodge to head back the way he came. The younger guy was still coming after him on foot and the elder Bilodeau had to reverse as he couldn't make the turn in the T intersection without hitting the ditch.

Trying to "aim" his truck at a guy on foot in the dark when reversing is a stretch IMO.....
Old 09-24-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
The elder Bilodeau had already had the younger guy come up to his side trying to pull him from his truck. From what I saw in the video, he was trying to turn his truck around and get out of Dodge to head back the way he came. The younger guy was still coming after him on foot and the elder Bilodeau had to reverse as he couldn't make the turn in the T intersection without hitting the ditch.

Trying to "aim" his truck at a guy on foot in the dark when reversing is a stretch IMO.....
I don't see that at all. You got a time frame on the video for this?
As far as Bilodeau couldn't make the turn and not trying to run over the hunter, I guess that's all on you. Bilodeau stated (and I quote) " I was gonna back up and smoke him "
during his second interview.

Tommy
Old 09-24-2022, 04:48 PM

As part of Roger Bilodeau’s statement/confession; he said he tried to run the guy over, but he forgot to put his truck in 4x4 and was temporarily stuck …..
Old 09-24-2022, 05:23 PM

Thats right, this gave the young hunter a chance to get out of the way before Bilodeau took another run/aim at him.

Tommy
Old 09-24-2022, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats right, this gave the young hunter a chance to get out of the way before Bilodeau took another run/aim at him.

Tommy
They weren’t hunting
It was 945 pm in March
Pitch black out
They may have been hunting earlier in the day
But they were drunk and shouldn’t have been on the road
Secondly, if they wouldn’t have gotten out of their truck after the verbal altercation with the senior bilodeau, they would likely still be alive
None of us were there to hear what was said at that stop sign
But there was nothing from stopping them from proceeding on their way after what ever was said when they first bilodeau truck pulled up.
A simple “sorry, we were just turning around” would have went a long ways, especially if they didn’t have anything to hide.

The fact that their home wasn’t previously robbed is irrelevant. The amount of rural crime in the area had and still does, have everyone on edge. Our place has been robbed over 10 times, rural crime is out of control.
Very little rural crime makes the news. Which is a shame. But the government doesn’t want everyone to know that you are not safe in your own home, and that it’s their fault. There is no mention of previous Criminal records by anyone involved either.

As for calling the police, no crimes by either party were committed until the deceased got out of their vehicle with the intent of a physical confrontation. Which was totally avoidable, once again, if they stayed in their truck and went on their way.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They weren’t hunting
It was 945 pm in March
Pitch black out
They may have been hunting earlier in the day
But they were drunk and shouldn’t have been on the road
Secondly, if they wouldn’t have gotten out of their truck after the verbal altercation with the senior bilodeau, they would likely still be alive
None of us were there to hear what was said at that stop sign
But there was nothing from stopping them from proceeding on their way after what ever was said when they first bilodeau truck pulled up.
A simple “sorry, we were just turning around” would have went a long ways, especially if they didn’t have anything to hide.

The fact that their home wasn’t previously robbed is irrelevant. The amount of rural crime in the area had and still does, have everyone on edge. Our place has been robbed over 10 times, rural crime is out of control.
Very little rural crime makes the news. Which is a shame. But the government doesn’t want everyone to know that you are not safe in your own home, and that it’s their fault. There is no mention of previous Criminal records by anyone involved either.

As for calling the police, no crimes by either party were committed until the deceased got out of their vehicle with the intent of a physical confrontation. Which was totally avoidable, once again, if they stayed in their truck and went on their way.
That's right Mark mark they were not hunting at that time of night, glad you pointed that out because I certainly didn't suggest they were. I referred to the victims as hunters in my posts.
Yes rural crime is a issue it seems all over nowadays and it's tragic that your place had been broken into 10 times, but now you know what not to do.
I think that the fact that the Bilodeau place has never been robbed is very relevant in this case and the fact that the police brought this very point up during a interview with Bilodeau proves it.

"Secondly, if they wouldn’t have gotten out of their truck after the verbal altercation with the senior bilodeau, they would likely still be alive"

Well I don't see it that way at all, I believe Bilodeau was so enraged that someone would dare turn into his yard that he was getting blood that night no matter what. If fact I think if the hunters didn't stop at all Bilodeau would have just continued to give chase and when his other son joined up they would have probably have run the hunters into the ditch and killed them right there.
A ( as you put it ) simple sorry would not have meant anything the Bilodeau, he wanted blood that night and he got it.
But like you pointed out none of us were there to hear what was said. One thing I do know for sure is our hunting community has lost two good men and hunters.

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's right Mark mark they were not hunting at that time of night, glad you pointed that out because I certainly didn't suggest they were. I referred to the victims as hunters in my posts.
Yes rural crime is a issue it seems all over nowadays and it's tragic that your place had been broken into 10 times, but now you know what not to do.
I think that the fact that the Bilodeau place has never been robbed is very relevant in this case and the fact that the police brought this very point up during a interview with Bilodeau proves it.

"Secondly, if they wouldn’t have gotten out of their truck after the verbal altercation with the senior bilodeau, they would likely still be alive"

Well I don't see it that way at all, I believe Bilodeau was so enraged that someone would dare turn into his yard that he was getting blood that night no matter what. If fact I think if the hunters didn't stop at all Bilodeau would have just continued to give chase and when his other son joined up they would have probably have run the hunters into the ditch and killed them right there.
A ( as you put it ) simple sorry would not have meant anything the Bilodeau, he wanted blood that night and he got it.
But like you pointed out none of us were there to hear what was said. One thing I do know for sure is our hunting community has lost two good men and hunters.

Tommy
Those are some pretty bold accusations
Not sure how you could possibly come to your conclusions without any evidence and with an unbiased opinion
How do you figure the guy wanted blood, when he wasn’t armed, and he never got out of his truck?
The hunting community didn’t lose anyone. They were not hunting. We can get into the ethics of moose hunting in March on another thread. But if your idea of good men. Are guys who are driving around hammered, with a loaded gun, looking for a fight. We have a different moral compasses

This entire situation was 100% avoidable
Old 09-25-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
It appears that they both stop at the intersection side by side the native gets out and approaches the passenger side of the farmers truck and according to a witness statement was screaming at the farmer and punching the window, the farmer then makes a right and drives 20 or so yards down the road to get away from the assault and stops, the native starts walking down the road towards them to continue the assault, that's when the farmer gets stupid and tries to back into the native. I see absolutely no blocking in of the natives truck.....
I did have a look at the video again and you are right, they did not try and block the victims truck.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Those are some pretty bold accusations
Not sure how you could possibly come to your conclusions without any evidence and with an unbiased opinion
How do you figure the guy wanted blood, when he wasn’t armed, and he never got out of his truck?
The hunting community didn’t lose anyone. They were not hunting. We can get into the ethics of moose hunting in March on another thread. But if your idea of good men. Are guys who are driving around hammered, with a loaded gun, looking for a fight. We have a different moral compasses

This entire situation was 100% avoidable
Good morning, re my conclusions the same could be said of how you came up with your's.
I figured he was out for blood because what I read on his two interviews, he admitted " i was frigging mad ", "I was gonna back up and smoke him" and " these son of bitches are going to steal or do something" and of course the big one chasing the hunters, and calling his son to bring a firearm. Now I am just spit balling here, but certainly sounds like he enraged and out for blood. Oh and of course they did find two murder HUNTERS. You got anything that might show Bilodeau wasn't enraged wasn't out for blood and in more of a zen like state? Or is that just your opinion, if it is you surely you don't mind if I form my own opinions on facts do you.

So you think our hunting community didn't lose anybody, well I must say that is pretty cruel of you Marky mark, your stand on a certain groups of people is well know and you seem to never miss a opportunity to belittle them, yet again you proved me right even regarding this heinous act.
They certainly were hunters, they were not hunting that night but as I read were that day and have hunted before hence they were refer to in this thread, other threads and in most of the news articles as " hunters ". Good try though at derailing a thread.

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 11:37 AM

So, getting back to the OP and reading what I could it sounds like the elder Bilodeau has a case for an appeal because the judge errored in his comments to the jury. Time will tell if it’s successful but appeals in cases like this are almost a forgone conclusion.

Reading the comments here and it’s understandable why some perspective jurors don’t make it through the selection process. There will be people on either extremes who made up their minds what happened that night and no amount of testimony will change that.

What is not up for debate is that both parties that night side-stepped opportunities to de-escalate the situation and it never should have ended like it did.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good morning, re my conclusions the same could be said of how you came up with your's.
I figured he was out for blood because what I read on his two interviews, he admitted " i was frigging mad ", "I was gonna back up and smoke him" and " these son of bitches are going to steal or do something" and of course the big one chasing the hunters, and calling his son to bring a firearm. Now I am just spit balling here, but certainly sounds like he enraged and out for blood. Oh and of course they did find two murder HUNTERS. You got anything that might show Bilodeau wasn't enraged wasn't out for blood and in more of a zen like state? Or is that just your opinion, if it is you surely you don't mind if I form my own opinions on facts do you.

So you think our hunting community didn't lose anybody, well I must say that is pretty cruel of you Marky mark, your stand on a certain groups of people is well know and you seem to never miss a opportunity to belittle them, yet again you proved me right even regarding this heinous act.
They certainly were hunters, they were not hunting that night but as I read were that day and have hunted before hence they were refer to in this thread, other threads and in most of the news articles as " hunters ". Good try though at derailing a thread.

Tommy
I’ll wait for the “educate yourself” comments that im sure are to come
Just a little heads up, I have a lot of native friends that I hunt with all across North America. So the picture your trying to paint is a little off
As a hunter, I know the hunting should stop when the sun goes down. As a hunter I also know that I shouldn’t be impaired when I’m hunting or when I have a firearm.

Being enraged and out for blood as you call it, would definitely require more actions than someone who was unarmed and stayed in their truck.

Spin it however you want, but if those two weren’t driving drunk at night. They might not have gotten lost or did whatever happened before this was caught in film. If they weren’t drunk, they might not have gotten out of their truck and started the physical altercation as the truck was turning around. Who knows, this may have never happened if the senior bilodeau wasn’t driving a f350 with his hubs unlocked. If he was driving with them locked, or in a dodge or a chev or anything else, he might not have gotten stuck and they probably wouldn’t have had the chance to be roughing up the old man when junior showed up. Next, who in their right mind, would walk up to someone who is pointing a gun at them, and im sure yelling at them to stop and take a hike. How intoxicated would you have to be to think that it was going to end well? The whole idea of having a firearm is to be the ultimate deterant to stop the situation. I have a gun, you don’t. Stop what your doing or I’m going to use it to make you. If the intent was to kill the two victims, he would have shot them as soon as he got out of the truck. Not when the the first one got to within 3 feet of him. And he wouldn’t have waited til
The second individual had gone back to the truck to get his weapon either.

There was a lot of time for both sides to deescalate the situation
And a lot of poor decisions were made
Old 09-25-2022, 11:57 AM

Nailed it Mark, this was the other side of the story I referenced earlier that had been discussed very little by the media and news.

The outcome can no way be 100% on the Bilodeau's, there was many aggravating factors carried out by the deceased that determined the end result.
The media just chose to pick the factors that they wanted.....
Old 09-25-2022, 12:08 PM

The way I see this situation is two parties continued to escalate a confrontation till it ended as two men being killed

Doesn’t look like either group was innocent or in the right. I doubt we will know what truly lead up to the start of this
Old 09-25-2022, 12:24 PM

Does everybody in rural areas do this, Nothing was stolen Bilodeau had no idea they were drunk, why did he chase them?

Bilodeau had heard from his son Joseph Bilodeau that a white pickup truck had been seen near their yard earlier in the day. He set off in pursuit of the pickup truck that Sansom and Cardinal were in after they paused in the driveway of the family farm.

Maybe they were thinking about asking for permission to hunt the next day? Maybe he pulled over for a whiz

The courts have ruled on this case anybody else's speculation about the event is just that speculation.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:45 PM

Clearly, the self-defence case ended when the dude jumped in the truck and started following the other dudes, drunk or not.

Also, it does look pretty clear that he was trying to run the guy over. The junior then arrives and shoots one guy few seconds after the arrival. Then fires at another, misses, runs over to him and shoots him almost point blank as well. Then, after short deliberation, they get back in their trucks and go home. The two dudes are left lying dead on the ground until found the following morning. The “farmers” turn themselves in claiming self defence.

The craziest thing is the guy got 4 1/2 years cut due to the time served (a couple of years?).

I put the farmers in quotes for a reason. I see there are two sides claiming “hunters” and “farmers”, depending on whose side they are on, so to speak. Pretty irrelevant who is who. The fact that these two dudes were referred to as “hunters” in every news article is pretty ridiculous. I am willing to bet a little bit of money the “farmers” were hunters too, or at least one of them.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Does everybody in rural areas do this, Nothing was stolen Bilodeau had no idea they were drunk, why did he chase them?

Bilodeau had heard from his son Joseph Bilodeau that a white pickup truck had been seen near their yard earlier in the day. He set off in pursuit of the pickup truck that Sansom and Cardinal were in after they paused in the driveway of the family farm.

Maybe they were thinking about asking for permission to hunt the next day? Maybe he pulled over for a whiz

The courts have ruled on this case anybody else's speculation about the event is just that speculation.
Your going to go ask for permission to hunt when your drunk?

I think this is part of what I believe, is lost in translation by the media and even by the lawyers. It’s a road, everyone knows people drive down them. But if you think someone is casing out your place for a future crime. That is a little different. Who knows what constitutes this to people. But I can tell you, if I see a vehicle that I don’t know and have never seen before, skulking around multiple times in the same day. I take notice. If I see that same vehicle, we’ll after dark in our yard, let’s say with its light off parked in front of a garage. Me and whoever is in the vehicle are going to have a chat.

Who knows what was said at that intersection
Maybe the senior bilodeau said he was going to report them for drunk driving to the rcmp? But to me, when they go out of their vehicle, that was the turning point to the entire altercation
Old 09-25-2022, 01:25 PM

^ The guy was driving over 150 km/h catching up to them to tell them nicely he was going to report them to the authorities for drunk driving, while not knowing they were drunk? And when did he ask his son to bring a gun?

Like I said, im my opinion, the self-defence was lost when he got in the truck.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:40 PM

Sr. Bilodeau was convicted because he started the whole chain of events there's no law against pulling over or slowing down on a road for any reason.

If it was paranoia or maybe he was drunk? if Bilodeau would've picked up the phone reported the suspicious truck there's a good chance the RCMP would have spotted the truck with an intoxicated driver.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
...if Bilodeau would've picked up the phone reported the suspicious truck there's a good chance the RCMP would have spotted the truck with an intoxicated driver.
Highly unlikely, with average RCMP response times to rural calls. That is a huge part of the problem.

That is not said as any type of a defense for the Biledeaus and what they did. Just reality.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-25-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Highly unlikely, with average RCMP response times to rural calls. That is a huge part of the problem.

I would have to guess Bat lives in town, or awful close to one with a detachment.